“Perfect” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Carnifex Ferry Cottages

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Mount Nebo
Carnifex Ferry Cottages
Summersville Lake, Mount Nebo, WV   |
Ranked #1 of 1 hotels in Mount Nebo
Moundsville, West Virginia, United States
“Perfect”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

After all the stress that has been going on lately, we just had one of the most wonderful overnight vacations. We to stay at Nancy Hart's Escape one of Carnifax Ferry Cottages... it was beautiful. We had perfect weather ... a layer of snow on everything, no noise, a perfect hot tub, our own fireplace with lots of wood provided for us. The cabin was absolutely perfect and more than we expected. It was well taken care of, clean, and well equipped. The owners were so wonderful to us and allowed us extra time when checking in and checking out and the welcome notes personalized to me and my boyfriend were the sweetest things.We were able to get our reservations on really short notice which was amazing and it was really affordable for how beautiful and well maintained it is. It was a much needed romantic vacation. The location was wonderful to because we were able to see the Carnifex battlegrounds (with the pamphlets that were left in the cabin by the owners for us!), and so close to the lake, the the overlooks. Came home with a bit of serenity I haven't felt in a while. We will not only be back, but we are recommending this cabin to our friends and family!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

18 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Dunbar, West Virginia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

Hi, my family and I stayed at General Floyd's Retreat a couple summers ago. Keep in mind I had 3 18 year old girls and my 14 year old son as well as my husband and I. We had an awesome time!! Loved the cabin...yes there were spiders and Raccoon's....but that is part of the charm! When you go to Summersville it is a CAMPING experience. So you get what the woods give you....we loved the hottub and my husband want's to build a house on the style of General Floyd's Retreat cabin....it was just the right size! We had all the amenities of being home, Full size Washer and Dryer, dishes, Microwave, Coffee Pot, Sheets/Blankets and Pillows. Nice trails to walk and explore.
We gave our kids the choice of going to the beach this summer or Carnifex Ferry Cabins and hands down carnifex won!! The Beach never had a chance, my kids (my whole family) love these cabins and this area. No they are not four star, but they also don't carry a four star price. I reccommend these cabins to anyone. My Brother-in-Law and future sister_in_law are planning a couple nights stay for their Honeymoon in June.

Angela McNealy, Dunbar WV

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

I am shocked to read the responses from the snobs on this website. You can't go to the West Virginia Mountains and not expect to see a few cobwebs... not even at The Greenbrier.

With that being said, we stayed in McKinley's cabin for 3 days and it was adorable! The cabin is an original log cabin from the Civil War era, and all the kitchen appliances, heater, fireplace, and bathroom facilities worked great. The hottub was EXTREMELY CLEAN and so relaxing. I've never seen clearer skies or heard so much quiet in one evening.

If you're looking for attractions nearby, I suggest checking out Summersville Lake and Dam, and a Greek Restaurant called Cafe Acropolis. If you want to buy groceries, there is a Walmart Supercenter 6 miles down the road.

I would definitely go back. This little cabin is the essence of relaxation and romance!

Room Tip: Choose McKinley's Cabin out of all the cabins.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Tryon, North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

We stayed in Rosencranz Rendevous for one week. We also had our dog with us. This cabin was really awful. It was very old and rundown and unkept. The hot tub had a ring of scum at the waterline that we had to scrub before we could use it. The cabin was full of very big spiders - we killed one in the kitchen almost every day. The carpet in the master bedroom had large stains on it and was very dirty. The bathroom door was busted and you could barely get it to stay shut.
The firescreen on the fireplace was severly damaged and offered no protection to the hardwood floors from sparks and popping wood. There wasn't even a hearth rug to protect the floors. Made us very nervous even to make a fire, which we did only once.
There was at least an inch of grease and debris in the oven, which we had to clean before we could even use it. When we turned it on, the fire alarm went off before we realized the grease was there. The skillets were in terrible condition and made it very difficult to try to cook a meal. We actually went out and bought a mop and bottle of Lysol to clean the floors because we just couldn't stand that the place was so dirty. I noticed there was a note from the management on the kitchen counter to please leave a tip to the housekeeper when you left for all of her hard work to clean your cabin. We almost laughed - I don't know who is cleaning here, but I think she forgot her assignment and passed on this cabin. This cabin was dark and the windows were full of spiderwebs and other debris which was kind of creepy.
We walked around the grounds, which contained several other cabins. No one was renting the other cabins that day, so we took the opportunity to look at them. We noticed they were all newer, cleaner, and looked very nice. I don't know if the fact that we had a dog literally put us in the "dog cabin", but we were definitely in the worse cabin in the place.
This cabin nearly ruined our vacation. We travel quite a bit and always travel with our dog. We have never stayed in a place so depressing!! If you consider staying here, better not take your dog and make sure you stay in one of the other cabins.
We were told we would receive $75.00 of our dog deposit back if there was no damage to the cabin. We never received this back from the owner, even though there was no damage. In fact, this cabin was cleaner when we left than when we arrived, because we cleaned it!!
Watch out.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

I have mixed opinions on Carnifax Ferry Cottages because we have stayed in a few different ones. Needles to say, we have ofcourse always had a good time, and they are decently priced, hence the 4-star rating. That said, here are my thoughts. We stayed at The Gauley Get-Away (6br) last and had an amazing time. This house is absolutely perfect for a big group, except for the fact that there is little padding between the walls so you can hear everything everywhere. The hot tub was great, the big yard, the kitchen was well-stocked, and the facilities were generally clean and nice. This year we shared two cabins: Colonel Lowe's Last Stand and General Wise's Choice. Colonel Lowe's Last Stand was also great. It was well equipped, clean and overall receives 1 thumb up. General Wise's Choice was much different though. The kitchen was very sparsely equipped compared to other cabins we've stayed at (here or elsewhere). There was hardly any cutlery, no bake sheets and pans etc. No big pots. Usually there will be some coffee filters for whatever coffee pot is in the house, and some other basics, but the cabinets were almost empty. Our group enjoys big family dinners, and coffee and breakfast together in the morning. This was difficult with so few things to work with. Also, the hot tub here hardly produced any bubbles which was sort of annoying after a full day of rafting where you would like that to soothe those sore muscles.

Finally, on the overall performance of the rental places. What is up with the no-dogs-allowed? It's West Virginia... Supposedly Wild and Wonderful, plenty of nature, hiking etc. The group of ours that usually travel together, half of them have dogs (well-behaved). We hate the fact that we'll be hiking around without our furry buddies. Please take a serious look at your pet policies. Dogs are no more damaging to a house than kids or some adults for that matter.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
midland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2011

worst experience ever! beds were completely wore out. the furniture was completely wore out. They had a sofa sleeper that was broken and two people had to sleep on the floor. A kitchen chair was broken and no one could sit in it. the satalitte could only get a couple of channels and the hot tub buttons were stuck. The the toilet stopped working. These people definitely did not check the cabin before taking my money. They also did not offer to refund any portion of our money. I wouldn't recommend this to my worst enemy. I or my family will not be back. A complete waste of time and money.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Ravenswood, West Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2011

Recently spent a weekend at Major Harding's Abode. It is absolutely fabulous. The house was spotless and had everything you could need. It is private, yet not isolated. The hot tub was very clean and a wonderful added bonus. Very close to Carnifax Ferry Battleground and the beach at Carnifax Ferry. We will definitely be back!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

Been to Carnifex Ferry Cottages? Share your experiences!