“Mixed opinions - but good enough” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Carnifex Ferry Cottages

Carnifex Ferry Cottages
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Mount Nebo
Prices are for rooms, adults
Carnifex Ferry Cottages
Save Saved
You added Carnifex Ferry Cottages to your Saves list
Summersville Lake, Mount Nebo, WV   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Mount Nebo
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
“Mixed opinions - but good enough”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

I have mixed opinions on Carnifax Ferry Cottages because we have stayed in a few different ones. Needles to say, we have ofcourse always had a good time, and they are decently priced, hence the 4-star rating. That said, here are my thoughts. We stayed at The Gauley Get-Away (6br) last and had an amazing time. This house is absolutely perfect for a big group, except for the fact that there is little padding between the walls so you can hear everything everywhere. The hot tub was great, the big yard, the kitchen was well-stocked, and the facilities were generally clean and nice. This year we shared two cabins: Colonel Lowe's Last Stand and General Wise's Choice. Colonel Lowe's Last Stand was also great. It was well equipped, clean and overall receives 1 thumb up. General Wise's Choice was much different though. The kitchen was very sparsely equipped compared to other cabins we've stayed at (here or elsewhere). There was hardly any cutlery, no bake sheets and pans etc. No big pots. Usually there will be some coffee filters for whatever coffee pot is in the house, and some other basics, but the cabinets were almost empty. Our group enjoys big family dinners, and coffee and breakfast together in the morning. This was difficult with so few things to work with. Also, the hot tub here hardly produced any bubbles which was sort of annoying after a full day of rafting where you would like that to soothe those sore muscles.

Finally, on the overall performance of the rental places. What is up with the no-dogs-allowed? It's West Virginia... Supposedly Wild and Wonderful, plenty of nature, hiking etc. The group of ours that usually travel together, half of them have dogs (well-behaved). We hate the fact that we'll be hiking around without our furry buddies. Please take a serious look at your pet policies. Dogs are no more damaging to a house than kids or some adults for that matter.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
midland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2011

worst experience ever! beds were completely wore out. the furniture was completely wore out. They had a sofa sleeper that was broken and two people had to sleep on the floor. A kitchen chair was broken and no one could sit in it. the satalitte could only get a couple of channels and the hot tub buttons were stuck. The the toilet stopped working. These people definitely did not check the cabin before taking my money. They also did not offer to refund any portion of our money. I wouldn't recommend this to my worst enemy. I or my family will not be back. A complete waste of time and money.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Ravenswood, West Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2011

Recently spent a weekend at Major Harding's Abode. It is absolutely fabulous. The house was spotless and had everything you could need. It is private, yet not isolated. The hot tub was very clean and a wonderful added bonus. Very close to Carnifax Ferry Battleground and the beach at Carnifax Ferry. We will definitely be back!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Saint Pete Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2011

We are avid photographers and went to WV to capture the beauty but we had no idea that this would turn into one of the most memorable vacations of our lives.

First, Jo and Dave were wonderful hosts and it turns out that Dave has the photography bug himself. He pointed us in all the right directions to get the best photos and took us on a couple of hikes near the cabins to areas that only the locals know about. The views were spectacular!

After a day of hiking we returned to the cabins where we spent the evening relaxing in a sparkling clean hot tub (I overheard that they completely drain and clean the hot tubs after every stay) and enjoyed a great bottle of wine. Aside from the sound of the water in the hot tub and our own voices, the only sounds were those of crickets, tree frogs, and an occasional owl.

I highly recommend Carnifex Ferry Cottages and we will be back!

Room Tip: Just tell Jo or Dave what type of trip you're planning and they'll do the rest.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Frisco, NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2011

Had a great romantic getaway at the Hughes' Hideaway. Very private, secluded mountain setting. Nice Hot Tub! Fantastic get away from the city! We will definately be back. Lots to do in the area, Battlefield, rafting, beach at the lake! Fantastic time, thanks so much!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2011

Although a bit tough to find (arrive during daylight hours, not after dark, as we did) these cabins are fantastic. Ours set back from the gravel drive a bit, giving us enough privacy that we may or may not have slipped into the hot tub for a little skinny dippin'. We were in close proximity to the beautiful Summerville Lake, and the historic Carnifex Ferry battle field. My wife wasn't quite so happy about that as she doesn't share my appreciation for all things Civil War. But the area is beautiful. We went whitewater rafting on Saturday, which is an amazing experience!!! All in all, this is an amazing area, and we hope to make it back next year and stay with these fine folks again.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Virginia Beach, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2011

I never leave reviews on Trip Advisor after vacationing mostly because I don't have the time, but this was such a horrible place and experience I feel the need to warn others who might be considering staying here. I will sum this up to be short and sweet because I don't feel teh need to go into detail about this place. Mu husband and I were vacationing here celebrating our 1 year anniversary and booked Cabin #3 for 2 nights. We arrived to find a huge spider-web with a large black spider practically greeting you at the front door when you entered or exited the door. I understand its a cabin, but really couldn't you have knocked it down when dropping the keys off earlier that day. Second and most importantly this place was very old and run down. It didn't help that it was in the middle of no where and looks like no one had stayed there for quite some time. There were numerous bugs, spiders, something that closely resembled a cockroach crawling around everywhere in the house. We must have seen 4 or 5 spiders in the living room while there. It rained that night and it sounded as if you were sleeping outside in the rain it was so loud inside the cabin. The DVD player did not work.
I understand that you are booking a cabin and I did not expect it to be a 5 star resort, however if I wanted to sleep with bugs, and spiders I would have just laid a sleeping bag on the ground and saved the 165 a night. Had I thought I may have gotten my money back I would have never stayed here 1 night. The office was closed once we checked in and I tried calling and emailing after my visit with no response back thus far. I just feel the need to share my experience so others that are looking for a relaxed, enjoyable, romantic weekend will not make the mistake that we did!! This is not the place that you want to book!!!!!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Prices are for rooms, adults

Been to Carnifex Ferry Cottages? Share your experiences!