“A decent hotel but bring earplugs if you're not a dog lover” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save 15%; Earn 500 Points
Ranked #4 of 22 hotels in Morgantown
Buffalo, New York
“A decent hotel but bring earplugs if you're not a dog lover”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2011

Actually, I love dogs. I just don't want to listen to one yipping nonstop for hours on end, especially after I've been driving for hours on end.

The hotel is in a quiet location, well away from I-79. The building looks attractive, with a comfortable lobby & breakfast area. My room was nicely furnished, although a bit sparse. What spoils this inn is its chintzy construction: Its walls provide about as much soundproofing as a cardboard appliance carton. In addition, footsteps in the room above seemed to make the building shake.

Which brings me to the dog next door. The barking started as soon as I entered my room. It continued for about 20 minutes, at which point I called the front desk to ask if I could change rooms. The reply was that they could move me to a smoking room but it would cost more (!) That's not the response I would have expected: Offering me the smoking room for a substantial discount would have been more like it. Or better yet, knocking something off the price of the noisy room.

The manager did call the owner of the offending dog, and things quieted down for a while, except for occasional yipping whenever someone walked by. Still, if I travel through here again, I think I'll find a place that doesn't cater to man's best friend.

Room Tip: Choose a room on the top floor
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
MicrotelMorgantown, General Manager at Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Morgantown, responded to this review, April 18, 2011
Thank you for writing a review on Trip Advisor. Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience you experienced at the Microtel Inn & Suites - Morgantown. We strive to provide the highest in customer service to all of our guests and their canine companions. I am sorry that the noise was as inconvenience as I am sure it would be to anyone, and we are taking steps to correcting that issue. Please know that we pride ourselves on providing the best in customer service and guest satisfaction, and look forward to doing so for you in the future.

377 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Hamilton, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2011

Have been stopping at this Microtel for the past four years on route and each year it takes a downturn but this year was the end for us.
I called this Hotel a few hours before arrival to make sure that there were rooms available because we could have stopped anywhere for the night, was told thirty one rooms and no problem, when we arrived we were told that the only room available re coupon in the travel book was the handicap room, smoking, otherwise higher rates, I then said smoking was not a problem and because we had driven many miles that day we wanted two beds and would pay the extra ten dollars, were told none re smoking were awailable BUT two hours previous thirty one rooms available, made no sense in my opinion. We took the cheaper room re coupon becasue no point in paying extra for something we really did not want.
There was no coffee available, he did make some when I complained but it was not fit to drink and there was no creamer available.
Now we know that breakfast at any Microtel is limited but this was almost nil and void, three dried up biscuits, some waffles that did not look fit to eat and bread and bagels, no cream cheese for the bagels. Any other Microtel, including this one usually have muffins, not this time.
With all that has been said I might not have been so annoyed but when one calls ahead and is told that no problem re rooms and arrives and has missed the opportunitey to stay elsewhere as one does not want to backtrack twenty miles or so one becomes annoyed.
In my opinion this particular Microtel has gone to the dogs service wise and we will never stop there again and the people that we have sent there we will inform them of the downturn in service.

This is the Microtel off I79 Exit 152.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
MicrotelMorgantown, General Manager at Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Morgantown, responded to this review, March 7, 2011
Thank you for writing a review on Trip Advisor. Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience you experienced at the Microtel Inn & Suites - Morgantown. We strive to provide the highest in customer service and it is apparent that we did not provide that to you.
We hope that through our telephone conversation that we have rectified the situation and hope that this will not stop you from giving us another chance to show you that this is an isolated incident and will not happen again. We pride ourselves on providing the best in customer service and guest satisfaction, and look forward to doing so for you in the future.
North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2010

The original room assigned to us was filthy so we moved to a different room. The new room had stained carpet and hair was all over the bathroom floor and tub. We would have left and gone to another hotel but everything in town was full so we had to endure. The noise in the rooms next to us was awful. The walls of this hotel are so thin you can hear entire conversations going on in the room next door. At checkout they tried to charge us more per night than our confirmed reservation price saying "it's a football weekend and the price on your confirmation is too low". I am a frequent traveler and I have NEVER had a hotel try to charge more than the confirmed price. I will never stay at another Microtel again!!!!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Niagara, Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2010

This hotel was easy to get to. It was clean and the staff friendly. The room was small but perfectly adequate for a night's sleep. There is a Bob Evans and a Burger King within walking distance and a mall up the road with a Super K-mart for any grocery or pharmacy needs. The price was reasonable considering many chains were fully booked when we travelled.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
ky.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2010

spent a week in morgantown and stayed at the microtel with my husband that was in town on business. we had a suite. i can't say enought good things about this hotel. the staff was helpful and friendly. we had a suite, it was clean with microwave and refrigerator. the only negtive thing i could possibly say about the room is it could use a few more drawers for clothing. the location is great, just off interstate 79. there was a bob evans and a fast food restaurant within walking distance, but the best part was morgantown mall , just up the hill from the hotel. so easy to get to even for the less adventuress driver. my husband began to think it was to easy.
being there a week we got to try as number of the restaurants there are a few we liked and would recommend. italian food--oliverio's at the historic wharf district. good food and nice location for a walk after dinner by the river. texas roadhouse--good steak and good service. riley's steak and seafood--the food was very good and if you like crab cakes, for an appetizer try the maeyland style crab cakes with a white wine cheese sauce, sooooo good. this restaurant seemed to be where the locals ate and became very busy from 4 to 6.
good hotel, good food, good trip.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
West Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2010

Went here for a conference. Stayed in a room with a colleague. Check-in was speedy, the clerk was extremely nice. Our room was very clean, if smallish. The bed was comfortable, however, I was awakened about 2:00 A.M. when someone turned on something in another room, and it sounded like a tractor-trailer engine. Kept me up all night.

In the morning, the continental breakfast was good, and check-out was efficient. I would stay at this hotel again, even with the noise problem. I'm not sure what happened there.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
Peoria, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2010

We stayed here for one night on our way to D. C. We got a coupon from the traveler' books at the rest stops. We always check out each welcome center in each state for these coupons. We stayed for around 60.00 for the night. The rooms were clean, very nicely decorated but we only had 2 doubles which is hard for 2 adults to sleep on. The beds were very hard and I have to say I didn't sleep well, but I think that is a personal preference and maybe I was just too sore from driving all day. The breakfast was nice and had and assortment of pastries and biscuits and gravy with juice and coffee. Free parking and free computer in the lobby. Nice hotel for a stay over.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family

Been to Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Morgantown? Share your experiences!