“10 NOT HIGH ENOUGH” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #15 of 22 hotels in Morgantown
Albemarle, North Carolina
“10 NOT HIGH ENOUGH”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

Arriving late on Aug. 31st and needing a room near Ruby hospital, we went into Best Western and were given room 112 on 1st floor. The room was very clean, the pool was clean with no slime or yellow water, the ac put out a very quiet, relaxing hum (I need a fan or hum of some kind to sleep, so I was grateful for that). The breakfast was great and with sausage gravy and eggs that good, who needs bacon or sausage anyway? Each and every staff member was kind and always there for anything we needed and to answer any question I had. i didn't use the elevator, but saw someone cleaning it reguraly like everything else. I think it used to be a smoking hotel, but now it's not so I would think it would take awhile to get the lingering smell out completely and i'm sure people would be glad it's no longer a smoking one. There's always a disrespectful person that'll sneak and break rules like that so any smell of recent smoke was probably from someone like that. This hotel and the whole staff were AWESOME< GREAT< BEAUTIFUL< KIND people and I'd recomend this hotel everyone.In my opinion, this is the ONLY place to stay and it's a shame the rating numbers don't go to 100 or higher. GREAT PLACE TO STAY.They didn't know my husband died in my arms less than 3 hrs after we checked in and they were so kind and good and I thank my GOD for leading me to them.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

142 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Peterborough, Ontario
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

My mom and I stayed here with my two small boys on our way back from Disney to Ontario. It was a Saturday night of a long weekend so we were Just hoping for a place to sleep. Upon arriving, the front entrance had a staff member on a smoke break so we had to walk through that. Turns out he was the front desk guy. We got a room with two beds, sadly they were only doubles. Got into our room, it looked ok, only a few sheets on the bed with half to a quarter of a bed spread across the foot end. Went to the pool, I nearly fell back as I slipped on the first step. It felt all slimy and sloped towards the pool. Had I not been holding onto the railing I would've hit my head or back for sure. I even slipped in the pool. My son slipped n the deck as its sloped in towards the pool too. Got a nice cut on his elbow. The water looked yellow but it could've been the poor lighting. The rest of the hotel smelled of cigarette smoke, the elevator floor was filthy. When I used the luggage cart the bars were sticky probably from some child's hands. Finally had the kids ready for bed, pulled back the covers to find black curly hairs throughout, as well as a burn mark. In a smoke free hotel! Requested to be moved, thankfully went right next door through connecting doors so It wasn't too bad. In new room my mom went to have a shower and found old soap remnants stuck to the Sid of the tub along with hairs in the tub. I had to plug in the lamp on the night table, and found an old Reece peanut butter cup wrapper on the floor. My son has a severe peanut allergy, needless to say I didn't sleep too well. I did speak to the manager and told her it was the most disgusting filthy hotel I've ever been in. She compensated our room an was very apologetic stating they have some new girls in housekeeping. Now onto breakfast...it was ok, they only offered eggs, no bacon or sausage that the other hotels seem to have. They had yogurts, cereal, oatmeal, bread doughnuts etc. I drank my isagenix shake. My mom left behind a bag full of my sons health card, medicine (extra) and insurance card. Within two hrs of us leaving they had called my husband at home am had placed the bag in the safe and said they'd mail it first thing Tuesday priority mail. I'm so thankful for that. The staff I encountered were helpful, kind, friendly. The hotel is gross and I would not stay there again. Sadly I discovered a Marriott around the corner the next morning. Next trim ill spend the extra money an go there.

Room Tip: Different hotel!
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

If your just looking for a place to put your head down a d you don't care about being near restaurants or a quiet air conditioner or smelly hallways or a room door you have to kick to open or being overcharged when you leave this place us ok. Otherwise look elsewhere. Breakfast was basic no bacon or sausage but staff was super nice.

• Stayed September 2013
Waldorf, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

I was displeased at this hotel. My check in time was for 3pm but our room wasn't available until 5:50pm. The smell of the room smelled like cigars and the smell of the hotel didn't smell that great as well. Our cable went our for awhile before it came back on. There were others who had the same problem as my family with the check-in. It took hours to get into our room.

Chesterfield, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

Best Western was ok but nothing real special. The staff was very nice. The parking lot was being resurfaced and it was hard to get into the lobby. The room was ok. We did have a microwave & fridge. Bed was comfy, so was the couch. we did have a nice TV. The cons of our stay was a VERY small bathroom! I have seen sardine cans with more room. Also, the carpet was very dirty. My wife took a shower and then after walking on the rooms carpet her feet were filthy on the bottoms. I think we will stay somewhere else next time.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Waynesburg, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

Despite what the reviews said about the lack of cleanliness, I found my room to be quite clean and comfortable. My concern was that, when I came down for breakfast at 7:30am on a Saturday, all of the hot breakfast was gone and not replaced. Their were no large plates for waffles. In fact, waffles were out of the question because there was no butter spray for the iron and people had pieces of half cooked waffles stuck to it. I finally decided to just have a bagel and a bowl of cereal. The bagel was more like a hockey puck and there was no milk in the carafes. This was my biggest complaint otherwise, it was a good stay.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

I guess you get what you pay for. We chose BW because we have travelled a bit and have used BW before. This was a quick trip to drop our daughter off for Move-In day. Needless to say, we will not be visiting BW in Morgantown in the future. We arrived around 5pm and were told by the desk that the washing machine was broken and they were only able to ready 1 or 2 rooms every hour. We took this in stride and asked to be phoned when our room was ready and went off to dinner. We were phoned in about an hour, and were told to come back when we were finished dinner. We thanked the desk for the great service and told them we would be back from dinner in about 45 minutes. When we arrived back at the hotel, we were greeted with a person at the front desk who looked up our reservation and told us we would have to wait. After 20 minutes, we asked again, reminding him that he had phoned us to tell us our room was ready -- he said - "oh, sorry, let me look again" and then proceded to give us our room keys. We trudged up to our room only to open the door and find other guests in our room in bed watching TV! Imagine our embarassment!. On our way back to the desk yet again, the desk manager told us he didnt know how possibly someone was in that room -- this did not give us a lot of confidence in the security of this hotel! Needless to say, we finally were issued a room in another 30 minutes, and off to bed we went. The hotel was dusty and musty and smelled like smoke. We did not take advantage of breakfast the next morning - we just wanted to get out. We slept with the double locks on the door as you can imagine!

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Been to BEST WESTERN Mountaineer Inn? Share your experiences!