“weekend getaway!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 22 Hotels in Morgantown
New York City, New York
“weekend getaway!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2014

My husband and I returned to Morgantown for the Spring football game and stayed at the new hotel in town!! We had an amazing time. The Chestnut Hotel offers a new style to Morgantown, which is much needed considering the other hotels in town. The staff was amazing, and they even gave me a free upgrade on my room to a corner suite. We are season ticket holders and we have found our home away from home!! See you nice folks very soon...

Room Tip: Ask to be put on the 2nd or 3rd floor, if you are travelling on the weekend and want a quiet room.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Alderson
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2014

Great location from stadium, great nightlife, very friendly staff and very nice, clean spacious, quiet rooms. You can't go wrong staying at The Chestnut!!! I would advise stopping and unloading your luggage prior to parking.

Room Tip: Football season or special events are at a higher rate, but still a nice place.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Adamstown, Maryland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2014

I made my reservations on the Chestnut Motel website. I had to call the hotel the next day to get them to email my reservation. I asked the lady on the phone if they had a Government rate and she replied with "We will take care of that when you arrive” I say no problem.

04/11/14 - I arrive at the hotel. The lady at the front desk tells me we cannot give you the Government rate because of my room. I didn’t reserve anything that needed changed, so I believe she or the person that answered the phone when I reserved the room would have known that information and should have told me that then and I could have canceled or changed my reservations accordingly. The lady at the front desk says that someone gave me the AAA rate. I reserved the hotel online and the price never changed. What they gave me online was the regular rate. Don't take credit for giving me a discount when there was no discount given. Don't tell the room regularly cost $210 a night if you don’t charge $210 a night. The motel may have started charging that amount 6 months ago when they opened and realized it was outrageous. Did I have the magic IP address, I don't think so. So now I am stuck paying for the room since it's past the time I can cancel my reservation. Reminds me of an ad that promises a price to get you there and makes you pay a higher price. What's that called again? So I go up to the room and it's completely dark and that would have been awesome if I brought my wife. I unpacked and the only light I could get other than what seemed 15 watt light bulbs was opening the curtains. I noticed there was no ironing board. I got ready to meet a few friends and returned to the lady at the front desk talking on her cell phone. I asked her if she could get an ironing board to my room. Said she would get one there in a few minutes.

04/12/14 – Still no ironing board, but I didn't allow much for the hotel to mess up, but I did walk up 4 flights of stairs only to find out I couldn't get onto my floor. There was no posted sign exit only or no entry to guest floors. I ask the same lady as the day before if I could get onto my floor from the stairs and she asks did I use these stairs pointing to her right. I was assuming since she was positioned in the front and the whole motel was to her right that the stairs I took were the ones she was pointing at. I was wrong. She then tells me I should have tried these stairs again pointing to right. I say I am not walking up 4 flights again. She replies with "I guess you need to take the elevator”. I wish there was more to that conversation, but I included every bit of dialogue with the exception me stating “wow, how considerate”

04/13/14 – I get up around 3:45am from loud banging of the people cleaning at the bar empting trashcans below my room. So decided to take a shower and leave for home. I packed everything and brought my bags to the car. Did I mention still no ironing board when I left. The gentleman that checked me out was at least apologetic about my bad stay. I asked him what the cost per night was for the nights I just stayed. He said $164. I then mention my story about the price I was told when I arrived. He says Oh that price is $295 per night. I was told three different prices of what the hotel could have charged me. To almost say be lucky we are charging you this (the amount on the receipt). I explained the situation to him and he tried to make things right that night but couldn’t change the rate. He said he would tell his manager in the morning and everything would get straightened out then (Sunday morning) and today I have not received a call or an email stating it was completed.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
Collegeville, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2014

We stayed here on a college visit trip and were impressed by the size and cleanliness of the room and the bathroom. The staff was extremely nice and helpful. The hotel was in the center of town so very convenient to restaurants and attractions. The complimentary breakfast was a nice addition. Some of the other guests were a little loud in the evening but I didn't notice during the night. Just a note, it is hidden away on Chestnut Street and the GPS was a little off. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Morgantown, West Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2014

I recently have been staying at the Chesnut Hotel going on 4 days now I believe, and it absolutely beautiful. The rooms are very big and the beds are extremely comfortable and I love the way they decorated it. The staff is very friendly, there was only two dislikes I didn't like the fact there was no coffee pot and there was no microwave so everything we needed to heat something up, we had to go downstairs. But from our room we could just walk outside and smoke and the bar and hot tub was just right outside and a beautiful view of downtown. We are definitely coming back, I plan on having my birthday here.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Frederick, Maryland, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014 via mobile

The Chestnut Boutique Hotel, right downtown in Morgantown, WV, portrayed itself as a dream that could be but hasn't quite arrived yet. However, I would recommend it to anyone looking for a change from the cookie cutter highway hotel chains.

Boutique sums up the decor, with transitional meets boudoir accents, leather chaise lounges, a luxurious black faux fur blanket on the bed (very clean, I checked), and sometimes down right sensual art on the wallpapered walls. The bath had a delicious vanity of black granite caressing a rectangular vessel sink (a little low). The rooftop hot tubs, bar, and seating area show that in the summer, this could be pleasant place to wine, dine, dance, and view Morgantown from up high. I would definitely come back.

Clean and spacious (maybe too spacious...some space was oddly barren), it was a great room for the price. However the hotel itself, although their heart was in the right place, was almost a rube in it's best finery.

Some suggestions for the management: 1) Most staff was great, but some don't have your vision. As a boutique hotel, your business is the special and unexpected. When a customer comes up at 5am and asks for coffee, don't tell them to come back at 6:30. I had to walk to the gas station. 2) Ditch the breakfast. It's a cost you don't need and the execution was not up to par. 3) Light the garage more. 4) Details Details Details. If you want to rise above, all the towels should match and be presented in an appealing way. Yes, the bath towel was folded nicely, but the others were stuffed into the vanity.

Thanks

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
London, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2014

We thought our overnight stay here was very pleasant. We had a large nice room on the fourth floor. It had all the amenities including a very comfortable king sized bed and a small refrigerator. The complimentary breakfast was fine - bagels, muffins - the usual. The hotel is in the downtown area and so close to restaurants and stores for browsing. The staff was very courteous and helpful. We also enjoyed a drink in the bar next door. So handy.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to The Chestnut Boutique Hotel? Share your experiences!