“Lovely new hotel!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 22 hotels in Morgantown
Phila., PA
“Lovely new hotel!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

We stayed at the Chestnut Boutique Hotel for 2 days, Sat. Oct. 12 and Sun. Oct 13. It's a lovely new property but could use a bit of tweaking and, more importantly, soundproofing. Free parking next door is very convenient (although it would be helpful for the attendants to have a shirt or tag identifying them as hotel employees, so guests aren't left to wonder to whom they are entrusting their vehicles). Our deluxe king room was large, handsome, spotless and comfortable (better reading light would have been appreciated). Definitely a huge improvement over the boring/tired chains in town! However, the first night (Sat.) loud voices of shouting partyers on the streets could be heard into the small hours of the morning (and we were on the top floor, not at street level). The other guests we spoke with at breakfast on Sun. said they hadn't been able to get to sleep until 2; one said she had been kept awake until 4. Our WVU student told us this was a typical Sat. night in Morgantown, so be warned! Sun. night was much quieter (Sat. was the start of a 4-day fall break at WVU, so most of the students had left by Sun.). The staff was smiling and eager to help. The free breakfast was ok. Decent coffee and good bacon with hard, dry scrambled eggs served on the rooftop on Sun., and the standard chain breakfast (pastries, English muffins and make-your-own waffles) in the lobby on Mon. We had to ask the staff to refill the coffee container, then the person who brought the refill failed to notice there were no coffee cups, so we had to ask for them next -- and he brought only one, telling us he had to ask housekeeping for it! The jacuzzis on the rooftop looked inviting. We were sorry we hadn't brought bathing suits.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
TheChestnut, Guest Relations Manager at The Chestnut Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, November 5, 2013
Thank you so much for giving us feedback on your recent stay at The Chestnut Hotel. Your review is shared with our team, so that we can continue to create a wonderful guest experience. Thank you again for adding a review - we look forward to having you stay with us again on a future stay to Morgantown, as we continue to make the venue the best it can be.

87 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

I stayed at the Chestnut Boutique Hotel for 3 nights during a recent business trip in October, 2013. From check-in to check-out, I was treated like a king! Props to everyone from the front desk (Brendon) to Bobby at the Rocktop Bar & Grill on the roof of the hotel for being just about as accomodating as one can ask for.

My deluxe king room was spotless. And that comforter?! Wowww. Not to mention that bathroom sink! (If I could rent this room, I would.)

I didn't take advantage of the complimentary weekend breakfast buffet (still kicking myself for that one). However, the coffee was good n' piping hot every morning at the continental breakfast. I did eat dinner twice at the Rocktop. Huge props to the chef for coming out and checking on my meal. That kind of small stuff matters so much, yet almost never happens.

The staff is still finishing up some renovations so there is some construction going on on certain floors. Trust me you won't notice, nor hear a peep from them in your room. I was also worried the band that was playing at the bar on Saturday night might interrupt my sleep. This was not the case at all.

The only thing I could see people having a problem with would be the parking garage. Dimly lit, scattered with construction, and the only exit is on the first floor. Not a big deal at all for me, it's a garage after all. Give them a year, and I'm sure those bugs will be fixed.

Being in the tourism industry, trust me when I say they are doing everything right at the Chestnut. Do yourself a favor, and experience it yourself during your next Morgantown stay.

Room Tip: Chestnut Street is a one-way street. It took me a few trips around the block to find the garage!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
TheChestnut, Guest Relations Manager at The Chestnut Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, October 18, 2013
Michael A - It's always a highlight to see when a new TripAdvisor review has been posted, as we share the feedback with our whole team. It is exciting when they are mentioned by name. Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent stay, and we look forward to welcoming you again on a future trip to Morgantown. Please don't forget to plan time to enjoy the breakfast next time :)
Cincinnati, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

We needed a place just for a one night stop between D.C. and Cincinnati and found the Chestnut Hotel. What a fantastic place! There is a free parking garage right next door. The room was large and the bathroom was first class. Brendon at the front desk was very helpful. Chinese delivery from the Great Wall Restaurant made the evening complete!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dancer099 - Thank you for taking a moment to tell us about your recent stay at our hotel. We are pleased that you were able to experience the new venue and the downtown area. We look forward to welcoming you again on a future visit to Morgantown.
Chagrin Falls, Ohio, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013

My hubby and I like to take road trips to places we've never been! Ended up in Morgantown. Booked the room the night before and got in late the following day. The decor was BEAUTIFUL!!!! The room was clean and big! The staff was superior and the best pancakes ever! I LOVE THIS PLACE!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
TheChestnut, Guest Relations Manager at The Chestnut Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, October 14, 2013
We are thrilled that you were able to visit Morgantown on your recent road trip! Thanks so much for taking the time to write a review on your stay at The Chestnut Hotel. It was a pleasure to have you as a guest, and look forward to the opportunity to have you stay again when you are back in the area.
Lancaster, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

My husband and I stayed at The Chestnut Hotel this past weekend during WVU's Fall Family Weekend. Most of the other hotels were already booked several months ago and I accidentally stumbled across The Chestnut while on TA. I am glad I did. I love the decor and location. We were in Room 303 with a view of Chestnut Street (not the greatest view, but we weren't there for a view!). The room was a standard king and had plenty of space. Due to the fact that we were visiting our daughter who lives downtown and doesn't have a car - we were in and out of the parking garage multiple times. I thought the parking garage had some extra wide spaces, but if you have a large SUV it could be a bit tight if the hotel is full like it was when we were there. We took advantage of the weekend breakfast in the rooftop bar. I had scrambled eggs and bacon. Even though we were on the 3rd floor we did hear noise from the rooftop bar at 2 am on Sunday morning. It didn't keep me awake...just woke me briefly, but if you are a light sleeper you might want a lower floor. These young adults in WV like to party all night. My husband said the street cleaner came through at 7 am on Sunday morning...I am sure it was needed, but I didn't hear it. When we went to the rooftop in the morning for breakfast it was obviously a very busy place on Saturday night. The deck was littered with cigarette butts, drink swizzle sticks, etc. I am not interested in the drinking scene, but my college age daughter thought she would bring her friends to the rooftop bar...she thought it was a cool place. They had a good amount of security in the building for Saturday night and carefully monitored who was going into the parking garage. That was appreciated :)

Room Tip: Go to a lower floor if you are a light sleeper so that you don't hear the rooftop bar noise. Re...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
kendrash - Thank you for this feedback from your stay with us. We truly appreciate hearing about what you enjoyed about the our new venue, as well as ways we can continue to make the hotel even better. Each guest review is shared with our team - the ways we exceeded your expectations, and the areas we fell short. We look forward to an opportunity to have your family stay with us again, when you visit Morgantown in the future.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013 via mobile

We were on the road to from Cincinnati to Baltimore and looking for a midway stay spot. Boy did we get lucky.

1. The staff is very friendly and helpful.
2. The rooms are all different, large and quiet.
3. There is a bar and grill on the premises.
4. And last but not least, the owner is on the premises.

This place with be our new stopping place for our trips to that northeast.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
TheChestnut, General Manager at The Chestnut Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, October 6, 2013
Ed H - Thank you so much for the review of your recent stay at our hotel. We are excited that you were able to enjoy our unique guest rooms, as well as the onsite restaurants. We will be sure to share your feedback with our team - so that we can continue to make The Chestnut Hotel experience the best it can be. We look forward to seeing you on your next trip between Baltimore and Cincinnati!
Sacramento, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

Coming into town, my wife noticed the sign by the road. Needing a place to stay for the night, we checked it out and decided it was too good to be true. But true it was. The rooms are spacious, the decor is new and tasteful, the location is perfect and, to top it all, the hospitality was outstanding. Also included was the handy continental breakfast. Our only regret was we didn't have the time to spend an additional night to enjoy the setting with the rooftop bar and jacuzzis. While a short walk away to other restaurants, we had an excellent dinner at the adjoining restaurant and enjoyed the relaxing live entertainment. After a long day on the road, this was the perfect stop for us.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
TheChestnut, General Manager at The Chestnut Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, October 5, 2013
Dear rrruf1, it was a pleasure to welcome you both to our hotel last week. Thank you for this review, and letting us know that our billboard helped you find us. We appreciate this feedback, and share all comments with our team. Looking forward to seeing you again on a future visit to Morgantown.

Been to The Chestnut Boutique Hotel? Share your experiences!