“Excellent food, well served and spiced perfectly” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Indian
Description: Call 304-291-4800 search saffron of morgantown
Description: Call 304-291-4800 search saffron of morgantown
Weston, West Virginia
“Excellent food, well served and spiced perfectly”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2014

I've been anxious to come back to Saffron after a long absence. My memories of it were of polite, efficient service, mouthwatering aromas, tender meats, and succulent textures. My return was not only lived up to what I remembered, it was better! I got the lamb rogan josh, and requested medium spice ("level 5") and it was just as tender, and satisfying as I remembered. My wife ordered the chicken saag which, in other places, would be either too thick or runny; this one was perfect. For appetizer, we order the shrimp pakora which was very delicately fried, perfectly seasoned and very appealing; we could have easily made a meal of that!
I love Indian cuisine and take every opportunity to visit any restaurant I can. Saffron serves a meal as good as any I've had in any large city and we will be glad to return again and again.

• Visited August 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Charleston, West Virginia
“Surprisingly good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2014

Indian restaurants can be a crap shoot - there usually either really good, or terrible. This falls into the really good category. The chicken tikka masala was delicious.

Visited May 2014
Morgantown, West Virginia
“Disappointment”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2013

I finally got around to trying this place out. I had been a frequent diner at the previous Indian restaurant at this location--that is, until the owner ticked me off with his attitude. I then started dining at the Indian restaurant downtown--until the same thing happened there. I don't know how long this restaurant has been in business, since I don't travel by there very often, but when I noticed the name change, I was curious to try it out.

Anyhow, I finally stopped by. I drove up around 4:00 P.M. According to the hours posted on the door, the restaurant was closed from 3:00 to 5:00 P. M., but the "Open" sign was lit up, so I was immediately confused as to whether they were actually open for business or not. I walked in, and the waitress was sitting at a table. I asked if they were open, and she very timidly and sheepishly responded in the affirmative. There was only one other table with guests, occupied by four college students, who appeared to have already been there for quite a while.

The waitress obviously wanted me to get the buffet. I took a look at it, and it was pretty pitiful. The food was nearly all gone, and what was left looked as if it had been sitting there for a VERY long time. I knew immediately that I wanted something freshly prepared, so I asked to order from the menu instead. The waitress didn't seem to understand my request, so I went up to the cash register and retrieved a menu myself, which seemed to offend her.

I sat down, and the waitress asked me what I wanted to drink. I decided to go with ice water until I had had a chance to peruse the menu to see what my beverage options were. I received lukewarm tap water instead. Then I started reading the menu, and I immediately regretted having walked through the door. It was pricier than I had anticipated. Vegetarian dishes were uniformly $10.99, and the meat dishes seemed to all be $13.99--with no lunch option. I was disappointed at the selection of breads and beverages. I opted to go vegetarian on the basis of price and to get a dish I was familiar with, so that I could more accurately judge the quality of the food. I ordered dal makhni, which elicited an odd look from the waitress. She did ask me how spicy I wanted it--on a scale from one to ten. That surprised me, and I guessed "three," as I really had little idea. (As it turned out, I guessed about right.)

The food arrived at my table very quickly--the wait was probably only about five minutes. I then unrolled my napkin to retrieve my silverware, only to discover that the spoon had been improperly washed and still had food particles clinging to it. I thus took my serving dish of rice and unceremoniously dumped the whole thing onto my plate and then repeated the procedure with the dal. As for the food itself, it was okay, but not what I would consider restaurant quality. I did clean my plate, but I left the restaurant saying to myself that I would never return.

• Visited December 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Columbia, Missouri
“Still great”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

I'm writing another review since apparently there is not option to edit my previous review. I mentioned last time that the food was great and authentic but the only concern was the price. Yesterday I went over there again and enjoyed a delicious chicken curry and chicken tikka masala meal (I was with a friend thats too much for one person). The nice owner serves the customers herself and I had a chance to discuss the prices with her, turns out the prices were justified considering the costs and quality of the food, I was slightly unfair in my judgement in the previous review so I take that back. The value and portions are quite reasonable.
On another note she was very welcoming to some of my suggestions for additional menu items. Thank you Ms. Owner. Definitely going there again soon.

• Visited September 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Buckhannon, WV
“Excellent customer service matched w tasty food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

Great service, bent over backwards to be helpful as I called in a takeout order without access to a menu! Every item super tasty, spiced as I asked- medium, but not too hot. Cooling raita, onion, garlic and plain naan offset rich and creamy palak paneer, chicken tikki masala, lamb masala (right balance of lamb and veggies) biagan ka bartha and channa masala. Mango lassi equally tasty, not overly sweet-truly refreshing.

I'll definitely return. And next time i plan to dine in and enjoy the atmosphere- highly recommend.

Visited August 2013