“Great location to visit WVU” 5 of 5 stars

Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #5 of 23 Hotels in Morgantown
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Olney, Maryland
“Great location to visit WVU”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2014

We had an excellent stay at the SpringHill Suites in/near Morgantown.

I rated this hotel 5 stars compared to similar hotels.

The location was very convenient to the WVU campuses and downtown Morgantown.

From the moment my daughter and I arrived, every employee was incredibly friendly. We were provided terrific directions to the many areas around town including restaurants and the University campuses and buildings. The drive to downtown is simple and to get to other locations is fairly easy as well.

The attendant in the breakfast area in the morning was very helpful and pleasant, especially considering it was 6:30 am. I just wanted a cup of coffee so I can't rate the breakfast, but there did seem to be a nice selection to chose from.

The room was a nice size and clean. It was nothing fancy, but met our needs for a one night stay. The lobby area was comfortable to sit and relax for a bit in the evening.

We had a nice enough experience that we have already booked our room for parents weekend in the fall!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Centerville, Ohio
1,479 reviews 1,479 reviews
2,933 helpful votes 2,933 helpful votes
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2014

SpringHill Suites at 1910 Hunters Way, Morgantown, WV is actually located in Sabaton, WV. SpringHill Suites is near I-68, I-79, and SR 119.

The reviews certainly vary from the worst to the best. For those of us who are “Road Warriors,” I really prefer a full service Marriott or a Residence Inn (yes, there is a Residence Inn near WVU.)

We take the view that SpringHill Suites is neither the best nor the worst! SpringHill Suites is a very pleasant mid-size suite room with small refrigerator and microwave. SpringHill Suites does not provide flatware, plates, wine glasses, ….

The king bed is pure Marriott comfort; however, we don’t get the bedspread. We know that most Marriotts have eliminated bedspreads for very obvious reasons.

Our Platinum Status guarantees the “best” room, and we are very pleased.

The three young ladies at check-in are professional, well trained, and very helpful. We think all three could easily transfer to a full service Marriott anywhere in the country.

OnStar is a problem! OnStar is going to direct guests to Hunter’s Land near WSU student housing. It is probably better to memorize directions to SpringHill Suites from I-79 than to rely on GPS.

Breakfast is not full-service quality, and there are some fast food alternatives in the front parking lot.

Nearby Pierpont Center offers several dining choices, and there are other nice restaurants within 10 – 15 minutes. Having driven all day, we are not up to dining downtown Morgantown.

There is plenty of evidence of excellent management. We offer our compliments and have no complaints. We know the Marriott range from OUR ownership of eight Atlantic Ocean Front Vacation Clubs to staying at big City Marriotts to staying at the freeway Marriotts.

SpringHill Suites earns an A+, and we shall return.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Wallingford, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2014

Easy on/off from I-68 if you want to stop for the night. Only fast food nearby, but more restaurant choices are within a 10-15 minute drive. Room was very good. Breakfast was fair, mostly because the scrambled eggs were bland, and how many people eat turkey bacon, anyway?

Room Tip: The elevator is not centrally located, so if you're away from the elevator, that may be very far...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Hampton, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2014 via mobile

Stayed at this hotel on WVU graduation weekend and it was wonderful. Large rooms, friendly staff and reasonable rates. The lady working the breakfast room on Monday morning was very friendly and funny. She handle some older members of my family great!
Can't wait for a return visit!

• Stayed May 2014
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

stayed at this hotel for one night in May. Our granddaughter graduated from the University of West Virginia. The room was lovely looked brand new!!! Had the feel of our being the first couple to sleep there!!! It has the usual Marriott quality everything was spotless. Marriott beds are always comfortable and we wished we could have stayed longer. The breakfast was good nothing fancy but plenty of scrambled eggs hot coffee toast cereal etc quite a variety of food to please everyone. The staff was nice always said "hello" and everything was clean and spotless. Would stay here again if we are ever in that part of West Virginia again. Than ks again Marriott!!!!!!

Room Tip: Room we had faced the back of the hotel so it was quiet but never had a problem with any Marriott ro...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
oh
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2014

I made a reservation for a May weekend approximately nine months in advance. I called during the week prior to our Saturday arrival asking for early check in. Ben stated he would make a note of it, along with the request that we have two beds, instead of the king size bed that we had originally reserved. We had an "add on" and needed two beds. I understood there were no guarantees, but felt my requests should be noted.

We arrived on Saturday at 1200 and the female front desk clerk could not have been ruder. I walked in and said, "Hi, we have a reservation under ........ for two nights." She just literally stood there with a blank look on her face. I actually wondered if she was hearing impaired because she looked so confused and dumbfounded. She immediately said that no rooms were available. She never once moved her arms to look in the computer or call housekeeping to check on their progress. She said, "It's graduation weekend". I told her I was well aware that it was graduation weekend. I asked her if anyone had checked out early or if there was at least one room available. Again, "No". No effort to check on anything. She was rude and told me to come back in two hours.

I also reminded her that we would like a room with two beds. She flat out said that wasn't possible.

We went back at 2:00 p.m. and noticed people in the parking lot with luggage racks. I asked them if they were checking in and they said "Yes". We were then checked in and given room 307. It was adjacent to the elevators, so one wall was directly across from the elevators and the other wall with our door was at the beginning of a long hallway that most people on our floor would have to walk in front of on the way to their room. We were not given a room with two double beds either. Very interesting. As a Marriott Gold member, why were we given a less desirable room........did the clerk think I wanted to hear the elevator bells all night and the majority of people talking as they got off the elevator and passing my room all night? Funny how other people checking in prior to us were not given that room. Obviously, other rooms were available!

Upon entering the room, it was very hot. The thermostat was not working. We called the front desk and Ben came up to re-set it. Interesting, didn't the maid notice how hot the room was? Didn't the people who stayed in it the night before notice how hot it was??

We believe that the room was not used the night prior. That is why the mal-functioning thermostat was not reported. Interesting, since the clerk told me that there were no rooms ready when we originally tried to check in.

I asked the front desk about the thermostat and was told there was a power surge the night before. I asked why the people who were in the room the night before didn't report anything and they said it was cold the night before. I didn't bother to ask why the maid didn't report it, because I figured it was pointless. I truly believe the room was empty the night before and they did not want to admit it.

One other interaction with the same female front desk person occurred. I stopped by the desk approx. 12 noon on Sunday and told her we would be out of the room for a good while and for her to please let housekeeping know that they could clean the room. Again, the blank stare and dumbfoundedness. Finally, a young clerk with her was very kind and cheerful and stated she would let housekeeping know.

We don't plan to stay at Springhill Suites again. I like to stay at businesses that have friendly staff and appreciate their customers.

Room Tip: Don't stay in the "07" rooms.....like 207 or 307. They have the two outside walls.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
AScott13, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Morgantown, responded to this review, May 14, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback about your recent stay. I am very sorry that some aspects of your stay were unsatisfactory. You are a valued guest, and I regret that we fell short of your expectations. Please be assured that I will make sure the issues you experienced are discussed with all parties involved in order to guard against future occurrences. If you would like to discuss your experience further, please do not hesitate to contact me directly. I hope that we can regain your trust and provide you with an exceptional stay in the future if your travels bring you back to the area.
Danville,KY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2014

We have stayed here for the last 6 years on our return trip going home from visiting family in New England. This hotel never disappoints us. It was Renovated since our last stay. Love the nice soft colors and the updated look. The king suite is a very nice spacious room (with a sleep sofa). There is also a wet bar area with a small refrigerator, microwave and sink. And a flat screen TV. I love the Paul Mitchell products they leave for you to use. The breakfast is always really good. There are gas stations and fast food restaurants all within walking distance to the hotel. Staff is always very friendly. We ordered pizza from a place called Vocelli's (the hotel highly recommended them) and had it delivered to the hotel. It was AWESOME!
We always ask for a room on the backside of the building it's quieter. Conveniently located off of highway. We'll be staying again!!

Room Tip: ask for a room on the backside of the building and away from the elevators.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family

Been to SpringHill Suites Morgantown? Share your experiences!