“Perfect location” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 22 hotels in Morgantown
Winston Salem, North Carolina
“Perfect location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2010

The Waterfront Place Hotel is located beside the river in Morgantown as soon as you enter on I- 68. There is a short walk from the hotel down to the river leading to a riverwalk that takes you closer to downtown Morgantown. The views were beautiful, the surroundings quiet, and we were able to walk easily without traffic. On July 4th, there were fireworks along the river that were some of the best I have ever seen in my 45+ years. The hotel was clean, friendly, and had a wonderful restaurant which included a buffet breakfast for $10.00. We also used the work-out room and the pool/sauna. It was all very relaxing, and we hope to return sometime soon.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family

309 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
Parkersburg, West Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2010

We traveled over the July 4th weekend to this hotel because my cousin was getting married in Morgantown, and it was the reccomended hotel for the family as the reception was being held in their facility. I traveled with my mother, husband and daughter. We had adjoining rooms. There were pros and cons to this hotel... but there were so many cons, that I think I would look into staying somewhere else next time.

When we arrived around lunch time, we were able to get an early check-in thanks to the block of rooms being reserved. The desk staff were extremely courteous and effecient. They got us checked in and on our way to our rooms as quickly as possible. The valet staff was very pushy the second we drove up to the doors, however, and almost insisted we use their services rather than walking the 100 feet to self park. Thankfully, valet services were free on the day of the wedding, so we decided to use them. No complaints there. Also, if you have to do a lot of waiting, the lobby is large and has a lot of seating which is very comfortable.

The restaurant on site was DELICIOUS. A little pricey, but not more than going to an average steakhouse, plus the amount of food for the price was great. I ordered a club sandwich and it was HUGE. (and pretty tasty!) The wait staff at said restaurant was very friendly and attentive. We ate there for lunch on our first day, and had the breakfast buffet the second day. Both times, we were very pleased with the outcomes.

When we got to our rooms, they seemed nice enough. Large beds were very comfortable, pillows were awful and hard. Sheets and blankets were clean. We had a nice view of the river and all the people outside too. When it came to the bathroom, this is where the BIGGEST DOWNFALL of the hotel falls into play. The paint was chipping and peeling off the ceiling all around the shower, the bathrub looked like it had rust stains all over the floor somehow. There is no exhaust fan in the bathroom and when you have 3 people trying to shower, the entire bathroom becomes wet and foggy. This made the mirror in the bathroom completely worthless to use to prepare for the day. The water pressure in the shower was pretty nice, but the hot and cold handle was labeled backwards, made it very confusing for the 5 year old when she was showering. After washing my face in the bathroom sink, I kept smelling an odd smell, and when I went back to brush my teeth, I realized the water coming out of the sink smelled of mildew. Both rolls of toilet paper were almost gone when we checked in, but thankfully there was an extra roll hidden under the towels. Also, it would be a good idea to bring your own shampoos, conditioners and soaps. The stuff the hotel provides smells pretty nice but doesn't work very well. I didn't feel any cleaner after using the provided soap and shampoo.

This hotel does have a pool, but I would NOT reccomend it to anyone. My husband, daughter and I went for a swim around 8:30pm to find a very tiny, very dirty and unwelcoming pool. The water looked milky, but I had promised my daughter she could swim. We got in the water and it was FREEZING, and I refused to go any lower than my hips deep. It made my skin feel disgusting and slimy. I let my daughter swim for about 20 minutes and made her get out. 3 shampoos later (with the terrible shampoo the hotel provides), her hair still felt slimy from the water. The hot tub looked like they were making lattes in it, the water was so frothy and gathered big clumps of white foam all over and it had an odd odor coming from it. No way was I about to get in there. Also, while we were swimming, I overheard a staff member talking to maintenance about some broken glass they found at the deep end of the pool. This is when we got out.

So in conclusion, had we not recieved a discounted rate of $89/night for being part of the wedding block, we would have really complained about the price too. I wouldn't pay full price for any room in this hotel.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2010

The WP would be just a nice, acceptable business hotel in most major cities here and abroad. But for Morgantown, it's like the Four Seasons.

I went to college and grad school in Morgantown in the '80s and made my first trip back in 20 years recently. When I lived in Morgantown, the lodging was either run down dumpy budget places, or the extra-scary run down Hotel Morgan on High Street. I don't know where people with a little money stayed back then - I guess the country club out on Cheat Lake, or Pittsburgh. :)

So I was very surprised when we pulled into the WP. We were greeted by a pleasant and trained staff. There were amenities like a restaurant and bar. It was clean. There was covered, secure parking. The price was reasonable, and the hotel was fully booked.

Rooms - pretty average, really only a little better than one of the newer Hampton Inns. You can walk to downtown, but everytime we asked for a shuttle at the desk, they provided us with a Mercedes SUV and a driver, gratis. Even picked us up and brought us home after an evening at the Mountaineer Brewing Company.

So as I say: for Morgantown, it's the best thing going by far. Interesting that the neighborhood where the WP is built was formerly about one very small step above a slum, with dilapidated housing and abandoned warehouses. Nice change.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
Takoma Park, Maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2010

We had two room on the concierge floor. The snacks were worse lousy... some chips in bags and salsa dumped from a jar. The bar in the concierge room was unstocked and the pleasant young man didn't know how to make a mixed drink. In the room, the Sleep Number bed was broken. The sofa was about as cheap a sofa as is possible to purchase. The room with two beds had one robe. The room with one bed had no robe. The shower seemed to have nearly no hot water. Three different staff members had no idea where a good steak restaurant was... there is one about 200 yards away from the front door. I know it's Morgantown not Manhattan; but, if you are going to advertise yourself as a destination hotel you really need to address these flaws.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends
Hampton On Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2010

A refreshing experience; great service, great room and great food for very reasonable prices. Self Park is complimentary; Valet Park is $5.00 Sumptious Sunday Brunch including omelet station, juice and coffee for $10. Best overall value of our 11 day road trip in the US

Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Bay Village
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2010

We stayed on the concierge floor for a hundred thirty bucks! There is only one hotel in Cleveland, where we live, that even has a concierge floor.

Four hundred thirty bucks, and worth it.

Morgantown is a college town and the staff reflects that.This hotel is manned by a bunch of great looking bright kids that may be the boss of any of us before long.

We suggest you stop at this hotel and are confident that you'll leave with the same feeling that we did. . that is that some folks still do their best to do their best.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
Elgin, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2009

We stopped at this hotel for the night during a long road trip. This hotel was very upscale, and priced lower than the surrounding chain hotels. The room was very large as other reviewers have described, and well lit. The bathroom was also probably the largest hotel bathroom I have ever seen! The bedding was very comfortable and clean, as was the entire room. At night, the room was very dark (no annoying lights from the hallway creeping in or through the drapes), and it was so QUIET!! I had the best nights rest in this hotel! We are planning to use this hotel in the future when we're passing through town! One downside is the gated parking garage was a bit farther of a walk than most hotels.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family

Been to Waterfront Place Hotel? Share your experiences!