“If I could give it no circles, I would.” 1 of 5 stars

Hotel Morgantown and Conference Center
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1400 Saratoga Ave., Morgantown, WV 26505   |
Ranked #21 of 22 hotels in Morgantown
West Virginia
“If I could give it no circles, I would.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

Just returned from spending a night at this place. I don't believe that there is any such thing as a good room there at all. In past years, we have stayed there in different rooms, and for the most part they were ok. It seems that each change in ownership deteriorates the service. My husband made the reservation and the credit card was charged a full eight months earlier when the reservation was made, and it was non-refundable - $158.16. The room was a total disaster, dark, dingy, poorly lit, large area of plaster missing from the wall. Curtains held together with tape. Every corner of the room had piles of dirt, as if they did not even try to clean the floors and baseboards. The bedding was dirty, did not fit well. The mattress was so worn out there were ruts / trenches in it. Towels were so thin you could almost read a newspaper through them. The bathroom should be condemned. When you sat on the toilet, it rocked back and forth, you could hear the water surging when it did. There was mold everywhere, just plain filfth and neglect. The accoustical tile in the bathroom was stained and moldy. the shower curtain rod was rusty, as was the garment rack in the bedroom. Cobwebs in multiple places, even a spider in one corner, and water bugs in the tub. The entry door was difficult to use, and when the lights were turned out, you could see the lights from the outside shining around the door jamb. I think we would have had a better stay if we had pitched a tent and slept on the ground. Since we had places that we needed to be, I told my husband that I would not take a shower until it was clean, and while we were out, I purchased a cleaner with bleach. I called the hotel, and it took three calls before I could speak with someone to complain that the room was horrendous. I asked that it be cleaned by the time we returned, at least 5 hours later. Their idea of clean was to kill the spider by mashing it against the wall and put up a couple of new towels. I CLEANED THE MOLD OUT OF THE SHOWER - NOT THE HOTEL! My next complaint will be to call the credit card company, then, the health department. This place is an insult ! A total rip-off!

Room Tip: Stay someplace else!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

107 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Fort Thomas, Kentucky
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

Convenience does not trump Cleanliness here! No Football weekend is worth paying $156.00 for the night, not even if the rate was $39.00. I reserved this room on Hotels.com thinking it would be great for convenience to Mountaineer Stadium. (it is!) But when I learned the game was rescheduled from 8 PM to Noon, I called the hotel and changed my reservation to Friday night. My girlfriend and I arrived Friday afternoon at 4:30 and spent the next two (2) hours changing to three (3) rooms, before we could get to Kegler's Sports Bar! The front desk staff were both new and they were very friendly and most accommodating in changing us to three rooms, even though they stated the hotel was full for the night. The first room was not on the top floor as I had requested. The second room, in Building B ("not renovated yet") had black mold through the tile tub enclosure, in the ceiling, exposed by the suspended ceiling tile being shoved over to expose the leaking plumbing line above, the brown debris in the waste basket, the burn marks and stains on the bed spread, sheets and pillow cases. The tiny pillows are pitiful and not restful. Dead spider embedded in the hand towel. The couch appeared to have been beaten and the glass window was cracked diagonally. The door key did not unlock the door initially, until several attempts to swipe it in the door handle. Dialed "O" to the front desk, but the telephone was inoperable. We again returned to the front desk (a third time) stating the room was not acceptable. (I have no idea why we didn't check out then, asking for a refund in front of other customers checking in. NOTE: There is a sign posted on the wall by the front desk "No Refunds".) Staff gave us a new key for the third room. Key worked, we got in and found there was NO electricity to the room. No lights, no air conditioner! No electric in the bathroom either. It looked clean and no mold, even in the dim darkness. Telephone worked now, reported no electric. Soon, a maintenance crew arrived with two fluorescent tubes. Well, that's not a solution to this dilemma! So, they returned to whence they came and soon the electric was restored to the room. (Circuit Breaker reset?) However, one lamp had a burned out light bulb, which was quickly replaced with a new one. Now we could leave for Kegler's, it was still Happy Hour - just before 7 PM! Later that night we found stained bed spread, sheets, burn marks, fitted sheet that doesn't fit the mattress and slides off all night. I killed at least 3 stink bugs crawling on the ceiling by throwing the tissue box at the acoustic ceiling texture. I did not sleep all night. Checked out Saturday at 8 AM - no refund as offered by front desk staff the night before. The name is misleading, as one would think a Conference Center was respectable. I don't think the Health Department even goes near this joint. Agree with others that it deserves to be condemned. Bryan S's review indicates he's been living under a bridge. I'll be paying closer attention to Trip Advisor reviews in the future before reserving off brand hotels, sight unseen! For your health, DON'T STAY AT HOTEL MORGANTOWN AND CONFERENCE CENTER, 1400 SARATOGA AVE.

Room Tip: We could not inspect Building A rooms to determine what degree of "renovation" they sustai...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Arlington, VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

Where can I start? What a great experience. First class amenities, a friendly staff and an incredible at-home feel. I would have given them 5 stars, but the wifi was a bit spotty after 1am or so. Nothing like bad wifi am I right? LOL!

I'll be coming back for sure!!!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Morgantown
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

Filthy rooms, no soap or shampoo, stained towels, poor service. We would not recommend this motel to anyone. It is a total filthy mess and should be condemned. Don't stay here for the price they charge.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Charleston, West Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

I gave it no rating because we booked here but ended up leaving. After 2 nasty hotel rooms, we left and went to the Hampton. Bugs, dirty floors, dirty counters, rodent traps outside. Yuck!! It's a real shame because the location is great. Huge mistake in booking online for this hotel, especially since they wanted to overcharge for the room since it was game day for WVU. Will never book a room again without checking Trip Advisor first.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else. Do not stay here.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Fairdale, West Virginia, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

Was recently in Morgantown, WV for student orientation and went to stay there and we checked out the room it was so nasty looking and smelled horrible this is not a place that I would recommend anyone stay !

Room Tip: NEVER GO THERE !, go somewhere else
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Newburgh, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

This is by far the worst hotel I have ever stayed at. I travel a lot and when I opened the door the room smelled horrible, the toilet was running and full of someone else's waste. There were cobwebs above all of the pictures. The tub was falling apart, the enamel was actually peeling away (no shower for me that night). The vent in the bathroom was full of dirt and rust. The toilet was broken and would not flush. There was no cover on the bathroom light fixture. The sink's handle was broken. PLEASE IF YOU VALUE YOUR HEALTH> DO NOT GO THERE

Room Tip: Go to Best Western
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Been to Hotel Morgantown and Conference Center? Share your experiences!