“Good for a play in the woods or downtown” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #11 of 22 Hotels in Morgantown
Morgantown, West Virginia
“Good for a play in the woods or downtown”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2010

I was visiting Morgantown for a little weekend getaway and we like to stay in this area because access to downtown is there, but it's also perfect for heading to the Henry Clay Iron Furnace and the Hemlock Forest.

The room we had was outstanding and I really, really loved the beds! Though the breakfast is worth noting as excellent! Most Holiday Inn Expresses have a hot breakfast buffet, but this one was well stocked until breakfast was over, the food tasted better, and they had a better variety of food.

One thing that did annoy us was that the hot tub just wasn't hot. Really, it and the pool seemed to be about the same temperature. The pool was a little on the warm side and the hot tub was way too cool to be a "hot tub", it was more like a kiddy pool. But the pool area is really pleasant and well done.

And I would stay here again.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
mgwnn, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Morgantown, responded to this review, December 17, 2010
Thank you for your review... good news though. We do have the hot tub back to Hot! I am very sorry it was just warm. Also it would help if more people would express to IHG the desire for different breakfast food. We go with the standard and apologize if we were missing anything, Hope you come again for another great weekend!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Dayton, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2010

Never in my professional life have I ever been more insulted than I was with the management of this Holiday Inn Express! Note, I have been a Priority Club member for years, as I travel with the government. Last week, I was traveling with my wife and two small children on the way to Washington DC for a conference. We decided to stop over one night on the weekend as we drove towards DC. We had a fair night's stay and decent breakfast, but the problems started after we left!

Two days later, we were shocked to find out we were (falsely) accused of smoking in the room and charged $150. We understand there was a 100% no smoking policy, but that was no problem for us since we never smoke. However, not only did the hotel fail to give us the professional courtesy to inquire about the suspected smoking in our room, they actually took the liberty to charge my debit card -- with absolutely no notice whatsoever! When we called to try to better understand the charge, we were told the cleaning staff found "ashes" in the bathroom. Totally outrageous!!?! My wife and I have never smoked a day in our entire lives! We offered the staff to observe out luggage or car for smoke/ashes, or even ask personal references, etc, but the general manager declined our offer and was still insistent that we smoked in the room and he was not going to refund our money. Was this a room mix up? Did someone have access to our room after we checked out, and before the cleaning staff arrived? Was the cleaning staff lying? Did the staff see shaving clipping from my electric razor by mistake??? The manager wanted nothing to do with our inquiry in the situation and rudely stated "this conversation is over" and actually hung up on my wife. I later called and left a voice mail to discuss this further, but he never called me back...Wow! What customer service???

Nevertheless, on the way back from DC we stopped back in the hotel to discuss the false charge with the manager. He wasn't available, but the assistant got him on the phone. The general manage still insisted that he wouldn't refund our money. He eventually accused our other room occupants of smoking...How insulting. My kids do not smoke either.
When we asked for the proposed proof of smoking (a photo, a cigarette butt, etc), we received not a single piece of evidence... just a false accusation.

Fortunately I was able to cancel my debit card, and my bank has started an investigation...but I still don't have my %150 back. Unfortunately however, when we called to file a formal complaint with the Intercontinental Hotel Group (the HI Express - management company), we still got no recourse as of yet!!! Unbelievable! Apparently it is the cleaning staff's word against ours... The hotel manger also closed by stating he didn't like government people staying there over the weekend??? Wow! I couldn't believe my ears! I'll be sure to tell all my government coworkers of my appalling experience and no recourse thus far.

All beware- this could unfortunately happen to you too. Apparently at the Holiday Inn Express in Morgantown, WV, you are "Guilty" until proven "Innocent"!

v/r,
Shocked "Priority Club Member" still in disbelief!

Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
The fact that this guest would suggest I go through his car or his personal belongings is ASININE!!!!! To also suggest that I call a personal reference is even more offending. I would never or have never made it a practice to charge any guest an unnecessary charge. Gov employees actually make up a huge portion of our business and have several Gov employees staying long periods of time. Gov employees are ALWAYS welcome!!! As is any other guest.... Have a great day and STAY SMART! STAY HOLIDAY INN EXPRESS!
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2010

Brand new room, great bed, shower. Wonderfully clean, good breakfast - absolutely no complaints - plus walking distance from restaurants. Refreshing after a long car ride.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
mgwnn, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Morgantown, responded to this review, August 9, 2010
My name is Gabriel Bilonick and I am the General Manager of the Holiday Inn Express in Morgantown W.V. I wanted to take the time to thank you for your kind comments. I am also glad that you enjoyed your stay in Morgantown and also the newly renovated rooms and hotel. If I could ever be of further assistance to you on a future trip to our area please feel free to contact me at 304-291-2600.... We hope to have you as our guest again.
Martinsburg, WV
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2010

I typically try to get a room at this hotel when I travel to the Morgantown area. The staff is friendly, great breakfast, and the rooms are generally clean. Hotel is a little bit of a distance from the stadium and downtown area, but the price and comfort of this hotel make up for that.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends
Hello I am Gabriel Bilonick the GM of the Holiday Inn Express in Morgantown WV. Thank you first off for being our guest. Our rooms are now remodeled and if you are ever passing through again please stop in. Again thank you for taking time to let other people know how your stay was.
Rochester, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2010

After staying in a series of hotels with very hard mattresses, I loved the bed at this hotel. It was an extra-thick mattress with a pillowtop -- ahhh! The only drawback was that their sheets didn't seem to fit the mattresses very well and had a tendency to pop up.

The rooms were fairly large. Updating was going on when we were there. Our room could use updating but wasn't terrible.

The breakfast buffet was standard HIE fare but the woman who worked in that area did a great job keeping things clean and well stocked (some HIE places seem to leave that job to front desk staff). The staff was friendly in general.

We were just driving through Morgantown -- what a beautiful area. The hotel is located in a commercial area near other hotels, chain restaurants and shopping area (including Talbots). Still, it was located up on a hill and had a lovely view.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
Thank you for taking time to review our hotel. My name is Gabriel Bilonick and I am the General Manager of the Holiday Inn Express in Morgantown WV. I wanted to take the time to let you know that we just underwent a renovationa it came out wonderful. However one thing that we did not change was the pillowtop mattresses. We hope to see you again as our guest...
Mountain View, Arkansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2010

My wife and I stayed here on a trip to Maine. It was a good location. Things were quiet. I got a good rate and was satisfied with our stay.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
Hello, My name is Gabriel Bilonick I am the GM of the Holiday Inn Express in Morgantown WV. I wanted to take the time to thank you for your comments about our hotel. However we have undergone a complete renovation recently. We would like to welcome you back if you are ever in the area.
Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2009

If you're looking for a clean, comfortable room for a reasonable price, avoid this place.

The day we checked in there was only one person working the desk, and we had to wait in line for quite a while after a long day of travel in order to get our room. When we finally got there we found there were stains on the carpet, the tub was dirty, and most disgusting of all, the sink was very unsanitary, with cracks in the finish around the drain which were caked with some sort of grime.

When we went to the pool area, we got in the hot tub to find that it was not working. Not only that, the entire pool area was dirty. The rim of the hot tub and pool were filthy. There was black, moldy grime on the rubber rim liners of the pool and hot tub, and rust on the walls. Even worse, there was a very loud whining noise coming from one of the pool pumps that was so loud it made it impossible to hear normal conversation.

There's a Super 8 hotel right next to this place that didn't look bad, and it's considerably less expensive.

Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Hello my name is Gabriel Bilonick and I am the General Manager of the Holiday Inn Express in Morgantown WV. Thank you for your comments.. Good or bad I believe that is how a business can work on improving their guest satisfaction. I am very sorry to hear about your experince that you had at our property. I wanted to reassure you that we are fully renovated and I am the General Manager. We take our guest opinions very seriously. I hope that you would consider visiting our hotel if you are ever back in the area. Please feel free to contact me personally if I can be of any assistance. 304 291 2600

Been to Holiday Inn Express Morgantown? Share your experiences!