“Absolutely wonderful!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #14 of 22 Hotels in Morgantown
Scranton, Pennsylvania
“Absolutely wonderful!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012 via mobile

My boyfriend and I stayed here. I rarely get days off due to my career, and my boyfriend wanted to treat me. what a great treat! the hotel was aesthetically beautiful! the front desk staff, so welcoming the entire stay! Our room was big and nice and taken care of. it was the perfect calming, romantic days off. the restaurant_how delicious! the easier was so , and food delicious! I felt completely spoiled, thank you!

• Stayed August 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Fairmont, West Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

I was a repeat customer; the total money spent for the time I've stayed in the last six months is pretty close to two grand and the last time was during labor day weekend for a total of $592 for the stay. The front desk service was terrible and I was so angry for being treated as insignificant, I will NEVER stay with this hotel again.

Management made it clear that the hotel's priorities lie with the new patrons coming in. I had to wait for room service (toilet paper and towels) until 4:30pm. When you can't shower or use the toilet until the evening, your entire day is wasted. Nothing was offered as a compromise. Management promised to personally deliver the items to the room. She did not, nor did the correct amount of towels I asked for ever make it to the room. I had to flag down housekeeping to change the sheets at 5pm. The housekeeper was very polite and helpful. I wish management and the front desk had been. Even so, I was unable to shower until 5:30. Instead of offering us a free late check-out, we were told we'd be charged an extra half-day for anything past noon. Considering that we'd lost half a day waiting around on them, you'd think they'd be more understanding.

Don't waste your money here. If you want to stay down town, go to the Waterfront instead where they clean the rooms twice a day and the front desk doesn't give you ridiculous excuses for why your stay isn't important to them.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Natick,Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

While visiting WVU, we thought we'd try the Hotel Morgan because it was situated downtown. What a nice surprise!

It is a classy older hotel, but our room was really nice and the bathroom was very modern and clean. Even the shower had great water pressure.

There was a wedding party going on while we stayed, but our room was very quiet.

With the rates being better than most other hotels in Morgantown, I would definitely stay here again the next time I'm in Morgantown.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Radford, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

2 week business trip August 2012
For a European experience, this historic hotel is wonderful. Just do not expect a new hotel or the best service. Some front desk staff were absolutely wonderful. Others were curt and unhelpful. Housekeeping was less than desirable.
Once I was over the discomfort of finding my room unlocked (housekeeping had not pulled the door shut) and discovered no items were missing, I recalled the tripadvisor review indicating this known problem (I did laugh later). I reported the incident to the front desk and was told "it's an old hotel and the doors do not always shut properly". This is not acceptable. Either fix the doors, or ensure that the staff are double or triple checking the guest rooms.
Housekeeping continually did not replace the coffee in room and I had to ask at the front desk several times for coffee for the next day and the coffee pot was never cleaned once. Also, towels were not always replenished even if dirty ones were taken. The housekeeping never seemed to "forget" to take the daily cash tip. Seems like housekeeping staff would benefit from a checklist.
Lockable safe in room (nice bonus, especially considering the door problem).
Rooms were quiet as the constant air conditioning noise acted as a white noise machine.
Parking is a small block away and requires a hanging permit from the hotel (covered would be nice, but parking is a premium in the area so this lot was great).
Location on High Street offers many restaurant options. I was unaware of the top floor restaurant (Montmartre) until the last night of my 2 week stay. Wish I had discovered it sooner as it was delicious and they do room service! In house breakfast is pretty standard (waffle maker, cereal, eggs, fruit, etc.).
Overall, a good experience, but the hotel would benefit from staff improvements.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Warrenville, IL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

The hotel was in the downtown area near campus - plenty to walk to. It is an old building, but, fairly well maintained. We were issued a king room on the seventh floor and it had a very nice view. The weather was nice, so we opened the windows (but there were no screens - but bugs were not a problem). The hotel was not very full, and we were very tired, so it was quiet. If the hotel was full, I would be a bit concerned about noise. The room was adequately clean. The hot water in the shower was fine (but again...being in an old building, I might worry if the hotel were full...they could pack a lot of people in this place and there was a banquet room for weddings). There were two elevators, but were slower. Parking was accross the street in a lot (we were given a tag to put in the window).

We had the continental breakfast on the mezzanine level - waffles, two bins of hot food, some pastries, oatmeal packs, cereal, yogurt, juice, coffee - a more typical Choice Hotel breakfast.

I would probably give this a 3.5 or 3.75...but as you know, Trip Advior only allows for round numbers. I probably wouldn't want to stay here for a long trip, but for a night, we were happy. You need to throw out your "new hotel" expectations, and realize you are staying in an older building in the downtown area.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
White Plains, New York, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

We stayed at the Hotel Morgan while touring WVU. I have to admit that I was a little scared at first; there really is no town to speak of, the hotel didn't look so great from the outside, and we had no other options. Happily, the room was clean and we were amazed that the restaurant on the 8th floor of the hotel was great!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Morgantown, West Virginia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

The hotel Morgan is beautiful hotel, it isn't that expensive and the rooms are very clean and home like. I use my triple A card to get a better rate, but it is nice for special occasions or if your enjoying the night life of downtown Morgantown.

Room Tip: Get a room on the 3rd of 4th floor.