“Business Trip Morgantown” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #17 of 22 hotels in Morgantown
Hopewell
“Business Trip Morgantown”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

Overall this is a great property, however the bed in the room I stayed in needs the mattress replaced. There was a deep ditch line in the mattress running diagonally near the shoulder line across half the king mattress.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business

203 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Morgantown, West Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2013

I love my coffee in the morning. When I went to use the small coffee machine in the room, I opened it to add water and saw a level of scum inside it that made me choke a little. I can't explain what that was… it's a mystery. I had to get out of my comfy, warm jammies … put on cold clothes, wash my face, brush my hair and head downstairs to forage for coffee in order to get my morning on track. NO ONE should have to suffer that way before coffee. No one…. just sayin.

The TV was an experience. Another mystery. I would get to my room late at night very ready to relax and … of course … turn on the TV ( just another addiction of mine, but we're not reviewing me). The TV would stay on for a few moments, then turn off all by itself. Fascinating. I would turn it on again, because.. what other choice did I have? Read a book? Not. It would wait a moment or two and turn off again. I would have this argument with the TV seven or eight times before it would concede and let me watch uninterrupted. My Mom used to limit my television watching when I was a kid. Maybe she has a secret job with Super 8??

Then there's the heater. You can turn it on High or Low, but not Auto. So, you can freeze or sweat. Or, do what I did, and turn it on Low and open the window. This worked great. It's crazy, expensive for them (heating the outdoors and all), and totally environmentally unconscious. It worked though. Got to do what you got to do.

Let's talk about the carpet. I spilled something on the carpet and being the obsessive compulsive person that I am, I go to clean it up. I used one of the white washcloths from the bathroom. I righteously freaked out when the white turned to brown after swiping the carpet. I'm so thankful I packed my slippers. Do you think I should throw them away now though??

Wait, Wait! There's more.

The free breakfast certainly represented the old adage … you get what you pay for. My choices were the classic waffle maker, some sketchy looking bread things, and Raisin Bran. There was a cereal machine with two sides, but it only had … Raisin Bran. I am a person who likes to save her gluttony and calories for … good food. So, the bread stuff was not an option. And I stopped eating Raisin Bran … when I grew up. So, I wasted good calorie capacity on a disgusting waffle. Again, you got to do what you got to do.

And a funny thing, when I got my requisite 3 cups-of-coffee-at-one-time-to-take-back-to-my-room one morning they had an unusual bubble formation on the top. Not your regular froth made from a pump carafe, but more like …. big soap bubbles. I went ahead and drank it, somewhat pacified by the encouragement that they used soap … on something, at least.

Given the waffle issue, I tried to use my card key to swipe myself in to the side door to take the stairs instead of the elevator by the front desk. I realize this small effort to use the stairs may not exactly offset those waffles, but don't rain on my parade. I used both keys that I initially got on the card key swiper thing … and neither worked. I walked around to the front of the building and the front desk gave me two more keys because they thought maybe the first two were deactivated . . . by the swiper. I went back outside to make sure the two new cards worked. They didn't. I think it's the swiper thing, but I'm slow to catch on. Not too smart. Don't tell my Mom..

Here's another food funny. The Diet Coke in the vending machine was the color of dark pee, not Coke. After seeing that, was I going to use this vending machine?? I think NOT!

Sleep is not Super here. Super Clean is unavailable here … at the not-so-super Super 8.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Hamburg
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

Rooms were reasonably clean, although carpeting was filthy; wouldn't walk around in my bare feet. Room smelled like it had been a smoking room. I'm not fussy about breakfast, but there wasn't much variety: waffles, packaged cinnamon rolls, muffins, sweetened cereal, bread, coffee, juice. Bed & pillows were comfortable, however.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

Gaithersburg
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

Not my first choice when I come back to Morgantown area, room was plain, TV was old tube television. Just seemed run down a bit, I would spend a little more to stay elswhere.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with Super 8

Been to Morgantown Super 8 Motel? Share your experiences!