“Bug infested rooms” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 22 Hotels in Morgantown
Vandalia, Ohio
“Bug infested rooms”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013

We recently stayed at Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott in Morgantown, West Virginia. We reserved two rooms for two nights. The rooms were inundated with stink bugs and lady bugs. At one point while lying in bed, a lady bug landed on my husband’s chest. We laughed about this as it seemed harmless, right? The second morning, I woke up with a stink bug crawling beside my head. Upon examination, I discovered several stink bugs and lady bugs crawling all over the curtains and windows in both rooms. When I brought my concern to the front desk, I was told that since I had made my reservation through Travelocity, there was nothing that could be done. The young lady behind the counter laughed when I showed her the pictures of the bugs in our rooms and shrugged her shoulders when told that I would be giving negative reviews about the motel and our stay. I was told by the employee to contact Travelocity with my complaint. Really??? If I were to buy, let’s say a Mr. Coffee, coffee pot from Amazon, would Amazon be responsible for a faulty pot or would Mr. Coffee? I don’t believe Travelocity was on the sign of the motel parking lot that I pulled into.
When I made my reservation for our weekend family Christmas get together, I had a choice of where to stay. I specifically chose a Marriott establishment because of my phobia of bugs associated with motels. I was confident in Marriott’s reputation and motel cleanliness. If I wanted to wake up next to bugs, I would have made a reservation at a far less reputable motel down the street. I spent $443.52 on our weekend stay, and I am now asking myself, “Why?”
I have never lodged a formal complaint following a motel stay. My experience on this occasion warranted nothing less. I am appalled and offended by the bug filled rooms as well as the customer service I received at this particular location. I will never be staying at a Marriott owned facility again and I will be sharing my experience with every form of social media and motel review site that I possibly can. As I perused the cooperate website, I was inundated with claims of excellence. My stay at this establishment was far below excellent. Moreover, the shrug I was given indicates pretty subtly that Marriott just doesn’t care.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Sharon F, Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Morgantown Granville, responded to this review, January 13, 2014
We truly value guest feedback and appreciate the time you took to share your experience with us. We would like to apologize for your experience during your recent stay at Fairfield Inn & Suites. We hold these matters with high regard and I can assure you that what you experienced is not the norm of our property. . Thank you for your review and I truly hope you will give us another opportunity to impress you in the near future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

My husband and I along with our two small children (ages 2.5 an 16 months) stayed here for the night. When we got there, check in was easy. They Gave us room 301. When we walked in, we were blown away by a musty smell. When I looked up to the ceiling, I saw where there had been an apparent leak and they had repaired it but the repair was more like waiting to let it dry and painted over it. I checked the rest of the Room out to find 3 stink bugs and dirty curtains. Other than that, the room was clean and pretty spacious. I think the musty air was from the room not being used often ( it appeared to only have a handful of people staying at the hotel because there were just a few cars in the lot)... The highway noise can be heard if you are on the side of the hotel facing the highway, but our heat pretty much ran all night and the heater drowned it out. Breakfast was nice the next morning and everything was fresh. I'll stay there again but request to stay in a room not facing the highway.

Stayed December 2013
Sharon F, Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Morgantown Granville, responded to this review, December 29, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to complete our online survey regarding your recent stay at our hotel. Your feedback is very important to us and we can assure you that we will use this information to do everything possible to create an enjoyable experience for each of our guests. We hope to see you again soon!
Washington, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2013

The staff at this hotel are number one. From the moment you walk in the door to breakfast the next morning everyone is nice and friendly.The breakfast staff greet you and even refill your coffee. This is my hotel of choice when visiting in Morgantown.

• Stayed November 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. Your feedback is much appreciated. I am pleased to know that you enjoyed your stay at our faculty. Have a happy Holiday and hope to see you back again soon.
North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2013

Clean room and nice staff. However, the walls are paper thin and it was difficult to sleep at a reasonable hour. It was not that other guests were loud, just run of the mill noise was very audible. Not ideal if trying to get young children to bed.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. I sincerely regret that you experienced any inconvenience during your stay with us. I will follow up with my team immediately to ensure we take all necessary steps to make sure this does not happen in the future. Thank you again for sharing.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2013 via mobile

Our stay was unexpected. We needed a hotel close to the hospital and well priced. Fairfield inn not only met those needs but the staffsurgery also did whatever they could to accommodate our stay. Everyone we spoke to was friendly from the Front Desk, managers, housekeeping and the Engineer. We had alot of questions and requests but everyone was always eager to help. The rooms were also spacious and very clean. This hotel will now be our choice hotel when in the area :) P.S: I work for a Marriott hotel in Virginia and I know customer service very well. They are doing a fantastic job there! Keep it up!

• Stayed November 2013

I am glad to hear you enjoyed your stay at our property. I will be sure to share this information with the staff. We really appreciate the comments, and look forward to seeing you again!
Medina, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2013

Spent 2 nights over Thanksgiving and had a really enjoyable experience. Room was clean and very large, bathroom sink was small but bathroom overall was very clean and in good order. Breakfast was amazing (real eggs!) and they had 2 staff members working it so everything was clean and fully stocked. All staff members were kind and courteous.

The little details are what made the difference though...putting the local paper in our room so that we could have the Black Friday ads was an unexpected perk!

Only negative was that the room where the pool was in was a bit cold. The water temperature was good, but the air temp was cold so you couldn't stay in very long.

I've spent a lot of nights at hotels recently and I must say this was the best of the bunch this year and at a very affordable rate. Overall an A+ experience!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

Spent the weekend for a WVU football game. 2 days fri & sat. I was charged $670 on my debit card even though I paid $480 in cash at check in. As of Tuesday nite the $670 still not in my account. This amount has now overdrawn my bank acct. and is now racking up overdraft fees. Spent all day on phone with Fairfield inn. BEWARE using debit card they now say it can take 7-10 bus days to return my money. Even though I thought i was only putting a balance of $152 on my card it is Marriots "Policy" to put full amount regardless of what amount paid at check in. Bill C

• Stayed October 2013

Been to Fairfield Inn & Suites Morgantown Granville? Share your experiences!