A quick football stay--all the other rooms were sold out in MGW. Bought it on priceline for half the adverstised rate. The staff at the desk threw the word "priceline" at our party and two other parties checking in like it was a bad word. Really. If you don't like Priceline, don't accept their reservations.
Check-in was not available at 4:30+ so, we had to go to the game without checking in.Very scary going back to a hotel at midnight to get your room key on a sold out night.
The management rep at check-in was very helpful and worked to resolve our issue and make us happy. Plus +2 for the skills of Ms. M. The regular staff on the desk was not as helpful and obviously (at midnight) some of them were tired of irate customers. The couple ahead of us had two priceline rooms--but the hotel could only find one. And so, the staff berated Priceline and said "there's nothing I can do." I did not have this problem.
The rooms are an older style of construction with interior halls and a/c/heat units on the outside of the room under the window (pass-thru). The unit in our room had problems with the temperature control--ice cold by the window (thermostat on unit) and roasting out in the room away from the window. Older style room ac/heat units often have this problem in my experience. Unit worked well, thermostat was just wildly inaccuate.
Room (refurbished apparently) was moderately worn and reasonably clean. There were some signs of grime, mildew and hard water stains. Mattress seemed average to fair--springy and saggy. All amenities in the room were of the low-end variety. Tv was nice. Linens were nice. My room seemed quiet. Good wifi.
General hotel lobby and common areas were ok; stairwells and other common areas came across as far more industrial/public facility than resort. Grimy carpets and institutional concrete decor beyond the lobby/restaurant. Indoor pool looked very nice as did fitness center.
Sports bar was the highlight of the public areas; lots of tv's and nice design/view. Prices on food were high--the "resort" is a bit isolated and your unlikely to want to drive anywhere after having any beverages. Here's a note: cokes in vending machine were $2.00 16oz. In the bar/pro shop? $2.50. so....if you've got thirsty kids, you better bring some soda's with you. Just one example of the prices. Same price for water too, I think.
Breakfast buffet was WAAAY overpriced and underdone. Buffet pan eggs, fried cubed potatoes and soggy bacon for $13. AVOID AVOID. Staff was very nice.
So, in winter, lacking the ambiance of the lake and lot's of outdoor kid's activities, the hotel is a solid 2.5. Good value under $80. In the summer? It might be quite a bit nicer and worth more. I can see the draw of the place for weddings and meetings; very nice banquet room, nice bar, great views. People are very unlikely to try and drive out of here to go somewhere else...so just stay in and enjoy the party. But, this is no higher than a 3 star IMHO.
Last point: I"m not a fitness nut or golfer. There is a wonder fitness center and golf course just outside the front door. With the gym, indoor pool, sports bar, lake etc.... this might be a very ideal vacation spot for some.
Pros: low cost (on PL), close to WVU, scenic, rustic (in a good way), nice staff. Great activities.
Cons: showing it's age, high use equals some grime and wear, breakfast was low quality and high price. Not an elegant hotel--more of a place to party and have fun.
Overall, a good stay with a few bumps along the way. Glad I didn't pay rack rate.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- West Virginia’s Top Family Resort. Nestled in the rolling hills of West Virginia and only 10 miles south of the Pennsylvania border, Lakeview Golf Resort & Spa is one of the Mid-Atlantic’s premier golf resort destinations. On 500 pristine acres sits two championship West Virginia golf courses, great accommodations, unforgettable weddings, productive meetings and fun for the whole family. We offer a variety of West Virginia's best stay and play golf packages including golf, accommodations and dining. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Priceline, Expedia, Hotels.com, Despegar.com, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your Lakeview Golf Resort and Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Lakeview Scanticon Hotel Morgantown
- Lakeview Scanticon Resort