“dirty room, not worth for the price” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #19 of 22 Hotels in Morgantown
Mississauga
“dirty room, not worth for the price”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2010

arrived at this hotel very late at night with my two young children for a short break only from Toronto. The location is good being close to the highway, the bad news is- the room is dirty, carpet was dirty, bathtub was with dirt stains on all sides, window dirty, aircon was blowing dust and noisy, fridge not cooling much and the freezer was full of hard iced. Breakfast was disgusting- stale muffins and pastries, coffee didn't taste fresh, white sliced bread still in a bag- not even presented in a tray. No cereals or fruit to offer the children.
The breakfast area is in the same side of the reception and too close to the entrance. Room decor obsolete and dusty. The price was okay but it would have been better to offer it for a much lower price!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2010

We were fortunate to get a room anywhere in Morgantown for the night as everything was sold out so we were happy to get this room, however, it is nothing special, just a typical motel, but there was a smoky and musty smell, and some good ol' boys were a bit noisy but by nighttime it was quiet. Probably wouldn't have been our first choice, but it gave us a place to sleep and it was reasonably clean.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
Beckley, West Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2010

As said before the place smelled like a giant ash tray. I had a discount coupon is the only reason I stayed. They accepted the coupon but didn't honor it upon check out. Avoid at all costs. The staff is not at all helpful. I got out of here after only one night. I stayed some where else for the duration of my visit.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
Morgantown, West Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2010

I stayed here for about 2 weeks in a non-smoking room. While my room was free of a smoke smell, the hallway smelled like an ashtray. And on the subject of smells, there was a slight, intermittent odor of raw sewage coming from the toilet.
I also had issues with the wireless internet. Starting in the evenings, the connection often slowed to a crawl, to the point where I struggled to even get Google to load.
My final issue was with housekeeping. I was staying at the hotel alone and didn't need much cleaning or a daily resupply of towels, etc., so I would leave the "do not disturb" sign on the door for several days at a time. When I did need service, I would remove it. The two housekeepers, in nearly impenetrable broken English, scolded me for keeping the "do not distrub" sign on the door, because they get paid per room they clean, and I suppose I was costing them money. The following day I put the sign back on the door, and emerged from my room later to find it missing (I think one of them stole it). I had to go down to the front desk and ask for another one.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo
Beckley
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2009

When my family stayed in this hotel it was an alright place. It was pretty much the only option we had at the time, everything else was booked (WVU Orientation Week)! We got our money's worth I guess you could say the lobby was not very inviting we had to go to a window to get checked in! The breakfast area is really small, but a good thing was free coffee all day long. The hallway smelled really good when you walked in! We had to stay to go to Ruby Memorial Hospital and it was located close to there. The tv went in and out occasionally, but it was ok! They had a mini fridge, but had no freezer and it barley kept anything cold. We stayed for about 4 days and the staff only offered to clean our room once. It has a washer and dryer, but it was always occupied! Overall it was a pretty decent place to stay, it beats staying in the car.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
Robson, West Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2008

I wasn't so sure that we would like this motel after looking at the reviews, but this was one of the cheapest motels in the Morgantown area, so we chose it regardless. I'm kind of glad we did, because it is away from the college and all of the crazy traffic in Morgantown! This place is right off of I-79, but it's back in a corner where it's kind of quiet. The mall is across the interstate and there's plenty of restaurants and stores close by. There is a Pizza Hut within walking distance if you don't feel like driving. Downtown Morgantown is around 2 miles away.
The inside of the place wasn't too bad. I can tell that they have done some remodeling recently, but unfortunately, our room wasn't remodeled. We were at the far end from the lobby, and I noticed when the maids were cleaning how new the other rooms looked. I can't complain though, our room was fairly comfortable and large. The bathroom was big also. Everything in our room looked older but in good shape. The wireless internet worked great with no problems.
I did notice walking to the lobby, nasty smells in the hallway, coming from different rooms I guess. Of course you could smell the cigarette smoke in front of the smoking rooms, but it smelled like B.O. at the doorway of the room next to ours, one that we had to pass every time we left our room. Also, it smelled like Indian food in the lobby constantly. It didn't bother me a lot, but I know that some people can't tolerate the smell of a curry!
The breakfast is not worth your time. It was a loaf of Walmart bread and a toaster. They did have honey buns and muffins if you can race everyone else to them. The staff was very nice and they made the stay worthwhile. There wasn't a time that I passed the desk when they didn't say hi to me.

• Liked — how it was far away from nasty Morgantown, large rooms
  • Disliked — the smells, the breakfast
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Atlanta, GA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2008

Price Paid per Night: $129/night.

Check-In: The check-in person was VERY unfriendly and unhelpful. We had 4 people in our room but they can only make 1 key per room. If you get 2 keys the other is canceled out. This is a big inconvenience!

Rooms: We were on the first floor with 2 double beds. The room was smelly, musty and dirty. After taking one shower the bathroom was a sauna and after that shower the walls and counters were soaking wet. The shower had a musty smell and there were hairs on the sides of the shower. Yuck! We had to wash all our clothes when we got home because they smelled of this sick hotel. The TV was from 1800 and the picture would go in and out. The bed linens and towels were outdated and needed to be replaced.

Breakfast: What breakfast? The continental breakfast was awful!

Location: Convenient to a McDonald's, Bob Evans, the Mall, etc. If you are going to a WV football game, stay on the other side of town..

Please contact me with any questions...but my best advice is to stay away and book somewhere else. Try the Radisson, Hotel Morgan or Euro Suites.

• Liked — Nothing!!
  • Disliked — Dirty, Smelly, Outdated Rooms
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Econo Lodge? Share your experiences!