“Welfare Motel” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #19 of 22 hotels in Morgantown
Wayne, New Jersey
“Welfare Motel”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

The staff was ok. The front desk told me she had a personal problem and could not get in touch with the manager,although she did call us after we got to room to make sure it was ok.

Everyone smoked outside their rooms. It was gross. The room was horrible. The desk chair had stains and I didn't even want to touch it. I sprayed Lysol throughout room left for a while then tried to sleep. It felt like day because curtains do not cover the window entirely. Cheap bedding, cheap sheets. I would've been very uncomfortable if I was alone. Guy hanging out in semi-lobby-check in room looked like he lived at hotel. I would pay double not to go back. Saw bugs in stairwells and that's just not a good feeling.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

35 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013 via mobile

Spent a night here traveling back to Philly from Nashville. The hallways had a funky smell and rooms smelled air freshener. The beds were very hard. There was a rust stain on the floor in the bathroom under the sink. The floor of the bathtub felt like I was going to fall through it. I would not stay at this place again.

• Stayed August 2013
Brockway, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

Not a terrible place for the price. Room was average. Continental breakfast was below average. Staff was not very friendly, very business oriented with no personality. Only complaint was the loud music and drinking in the parking lot till the we hours of the night with management doing nothing about it. As 1 reviewer said, "more of a boarding house than a hotel".

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

Filthy rooms an really poor customer service. Was urine in the toilet on the floor an all over the seat when we arrived. Also busted spring in my hip all night an the staff is rude an can't speak English. The water was backwards on the sink an tu . Turn to cold for the hot an turn to hot for cold. Also if u turned on the hot water for more than a minute the pipes would rattle to the point of vibrate the hole floor.

• Stayed April 2013
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

I was driving through WV and a major snowstorm hit on Valentines Day. I knew I would have problems finding hotel rooms on this day that were cheap but I found this hotel which was reasonably priced considering the snowstorm and valentines "holiday" (paid 69 plus tax). On a normal night I presume it is 49.00 a night.

The room I had was quite large, the staff who checked me in and out were great, and overall I didn't have any problems. I would stay here again if I happened to be driving through WV on a snowy evening and had to stop : )

Seriously, it was a good stay and I got what I paid for.

Room Tip: This is like the old motels where the rooms open up into the parking area of the balcony.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Cardiff, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

We had stayed at this hotel some 18 years ago on a trip to the USA with our kids. Then, it was good value and clean. Now? It is dirty and grubby. They allocated us a room on the second floor despite the fact we had heavy case to get up there (no lift) The carpet on the stairs and the room were filthy. Don't take off your shoes or your socks will be black! There was a bunch of teenagers in rooms just down the corridor from us making one hell of a racket. We rang reception and were told, "They've just been on a day trip and will settle soon" Nothing was done about it. Breakfast the next day was barley adequate and was eaten whilst waving away the many flies in the room. All in all, a complete disaster and one to be avoided at all costs. There has to be better in Morgantown at a reasonable price!?

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Mich
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

Mostly workingmen staying for night, friendly staff. Nothing fancy at all. A nice price for being only about 1 mile from down town Morgantown. There weren't vacancies on the other side of the river where we would have rather been. This is a nice back up, if you need a room. I'd stay again but my wife may want to upgrade.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Econo Lodge? Share your experiences!