“Overpriced but adequate” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #18 of 22 hotels in Morgantown
Iowa
“Overpriced but adequate”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2011

EconoLodge was not our first choice, but as we were travelling a long way and didn't know how far we'd get, I hadn't made reservations. It took me 6 calls to find a vacancy in the area, it was late (9 PM) and we couldn't be picky. Given that, it was "acceptable." It was a little hard to find (thank goodness for GPS), the front desk person acted like we were a huge inconvenience to her, the cost was high for what you get ($70+tax no microwave or fridge) but given the competition in the area, it seems to be market rate. The room itself was OK - WiFi worked, beds were comfortable, shower was good. Cleanliness was average (it didn't smell bad, no major dirt issues but you could find dust if you looked), A/C worked fine, breakfast was pretty useless but the coffee was okay. For one night in a pinch it was okay but I wouldn't stay longer unless I had to.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple

38 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Germantown
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2011

Well this was my experience with this dump. We went to drop daughter off to school. All they had left was a king with a roll away bed and it was a smoking room. I waited to late for the better hotels. When I walked in was told to sit down shift change. Then they called up people that were not there before me

I asked if the roll away bed was in the room they called on the two radio and the person stated he would check. Of course it was not in the room and we saw housekeeping taking one next door, we asked her and she stated that was the room she was told to drop it off. We went to the front desk and was told even tho nobody was in that room yet, they are staying 5 days and was given the bed, we only stayed 2 days. it was not first come first served, and they said the manager went to SUPPER and would not be back for a couple of hours. We made a fuss and went back to the room, my daughter was only staying 1 night and was moving into her dorm. Well they found a bed and told us they would get it the next day. They never showed up to pick it up, NEVER GOT OUR ROOM CLEANED. I am writing everyone in choice hotel about this and want my money back. I really feel it was RACIAL. Dont stay at this hotel

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2011

It was Memorial Day weekend, and my partner and I were heading home from Miami to Toronto.

We've always been pleased with Econo Lodges, but this was overpriced for what we got.

Room was basic, nothing fancy, and should have been at least $25 cheaper.

We arrived and unpacked around 10:30 p.m. At 11 - we noticed the toilet handle was not working properly. By 11, we spoke to the young woman at the front desk, who offered to switch us to another room, "But the maintenance man will be here within the hour and can fix the toilet." We said ok, as we had already unpacked, and were exhausted.

By midnight, the maintenance man had not arrived. The woman at th desk had no clue when he would be arriving - "maybe the next morning".

Had we been told IMMEDIATELY that the maintenance man was not arriving, we would have switched rooms. I AM LIVID that we were not told the truth from the beginning, and obviously owners/managers do not communicate with their night staff.

I should not have to pay for playing toilet, and for dishonesty.

When I reported the incident, the following day, the manager/owner at the front desk shrugged and said, "sorry." NO OFFER OF COMPENSATION.

I had to report this incident to Choice Hotels, and it took three times speaking to a Choice rep before I was satisfied. I don't think Choice customer service got anywhere with management.

I'm angriest at the staff miscommunication, dishonesty and attitude. a working toilet is a basic necessity.

Room and breakfast are ok if you're just passing through.
It's not worth more than $50 a night. (We paid about $75 with tax).

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Loveland, Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2011

My daughter and I stayed here one night while moving her back across the country. The hotel is old and worn out. From what we could tell is occupied mainly by truckers who hang out at the entrances to smoke. There was no hairdryer, iron or ironing board as was advertised. Internet access was spotty at best. We could not wait to leave the next morning.

Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2011

Stayed at this econo lodge listed above in WV. Check in staff was ignorant. She acted as if we were bothering her by checking in. Room was disgusting, floor was not swept and when I pulled back the bedspread, the pillow was full of hairs! Upon closer inspection, found that many hairs were all over the beds. It was a foul, foul disgusting experience! Do not ever stay at this motel ever! I called the 800 national number for this chain and complained until I received an apology and monetary satisfaction.

Room Tip: Stay away from this motel
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Kendall Park, NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2011

Every year, we stay at the Econo Lodge for Homecoming. Our Alumni Band friends always know where to find us. The staff at the front desk remembers us and are always very accommodating and friendly. They honor room requests if at all possible, and are quick to resolve any issues such as need for a new light bulb. It isn't the newest motel in the area, but it's clean and run well.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
Mississauga
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2010

arrived at this hotel very late at night with my two young children for a short break only from Toronto. The location is good being close to the highway, the bad news is- the room is dirty, carpet was dirty, bathtub was with dirt stains on all sides, window dirty, aircon was blowing dust and noisy, fridge not cooling much and the freezer was full of hard iced. Breakfast was disgusting- stale muffins and pastries, coffee didn't taste fresh, white sliced bread still in a bag- not even presented in a tray. No cereals or fruit to offer the children.
The breakfast area is in the same side of the reception and too close to the entrance. Room decor obsolete and dusty. The price was okay but it would have been better to offer it for a much lower price!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family

Been to Econo Lodge? Share your experiences!