“Mountainfest 2014” 4 of 5 stars

Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #17 of 22 Hotels in Morgantown
“Mountainfest 2014”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

We stayed for 3 nights in 131 and the service was great. Especially our housekeeper. She was very hospitable and helpful. Our room was clean. We enjoyed our room so much that we booked our stay for next year.

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Thomas C, General Manager at Comfort Inn, responded to this review, August 2, 2014
Dear Heidi J,

I am happy you were pleased with your stay. We hope we can duplicate this experience next year should you attend Mountainfest again. If so, we will have a nice new hotel for you to stay in, because we will be undergoing renovations in the fall and winter. I hope you enjoy the rest of your summer.

Thomas Crosby

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Tysons Corner, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

Be sure to avoid the huge potholes on the way into the parking lot. They are more like canyons. The front desk staff was among the most friendly I have ever come across, both day and night staff were great. The pool was closed, not great, as was the hot tub. The room was nice enough, updated bathroom. The most impressive were the pillows, firm in back softer in front. Bed linens were fresh and new. We would stay here again, but hope they get their parking lot fixed-soon!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Thomas C, General Manager at Comfort Inn, responded to this review, July 23, 2014
Dear Lrk04,

Thank you for your comments, both good and bad they help us to grow. We are glad that you like our friendly staff as well as the pillows. Because our pool is outdoors, we do have to close it from time to time due to weather or chemical imbalance. I am sorry if you were unable to use it during your stay. The hot tub is closed due to reoccurring problems, so we will be converting it into a guest laundry. As for the potholes, I am aware of the problem and have called paving companies to give estimates to fix the issue. Some of the driveway is on our property and some of it belongs to the Army Reserve unit behind us, so we will be working with them to have everything fixed and hopefully soon.

I hope that you enjoyed your stay enough that you would return to stay with us if in our area again?

Beckley, West Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

I stayed there last night and it looks like they have been doing a lot of work cleaning the place up. The front desk lady was very helpful and even made me fresh coffee. The landscaping looks new and the room was clean and quiet. The wifi was the fastest I've been on!
The only thing I can say bad is that the carpet is dated and a bit stained.

Stayed July 2014
Thomas C, General Manager at Comfort Inn, responded to this review, July 13, 2014
DearGregCarter1971,

Thank you for your response. Yes we strive each and every day to make improvements to the hotel to make our guests happy. I am glad that you were pleased with your stay except for the older/stained carpet in your room. You will be pleased to know that we will be undergoing renovations in the late fall to give us a more up to date hotel for you to enjoy. So please come back in the spring or summer of next year and let us know what you think of the changes.

I hope you enjoy the rest of your summer.

Frederick, Maryland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014

This was the hotel that my friend's used for their wedding block, so we had a good rate. I wish I had known what it was like, I would have triple to stay anywhere else. When we first walked in our room it smelled awful. Then my husband went to use the bathroom after our long trip, and the toilet was CLOGGED with a BLOODY mess. The front desk manager came to plunge but it still wouldn't go down, so they had to call in a technician. After that I went to use our bathroom later and noticed trash in the sink, so our bathroom was not cleaned one bit, apparently. We told ourselves we literally just had to sleep there for a few hours before we could check out & shower off the gross WV hotel at home.

Room Tip: I heard the second floor wasn't as smelly, but just don't stay here.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Thomas C, General Manager at Comfort Inn, responded to this review, July 6, 2014
Dear YourWorstStar,

I do apologize for any issues you found with your room upon check in. We have had some turnover in staff, but that is no excuse for lack of cleanliness. I will make sure that these comments are seen by my staff so that they are aware of how it affects our guests and our reputation. We normally do a good job when it comes to housekeeping, but we certainly dropped the ball the weekend you stayed. Once again I do offer my apologies. I hope you enjoy the rest of your summer.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2014

Third or fourth stay at this Choice property, but not a lot to choose from in this area. As you pull into the parking lot, which is full of potholes, it doesn't get any better. The lobby is dated and needs cleaning and update. The rooms are in need of cleaning and some updates. I travel 20 to 25 weeks out of the year and this hotel I do not recommend. It's always booked up, so I see no reason the owner cannot invest some money to make it a nicer place!
If you're a Chioce Hotel points person,I did find the Clarion in Fairmont (15 minutes away) to be the place to stay. Nice hotel.

Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Thomas C, General Manager at Comfort Inn, responded to this review, June 29, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments, we appreciate every comment good or bad. We have had paving contractors out to give estimates to repair the parking lot, we are just awaiting those along with drawings to pick the best one. Also, we will be doing renovations in the late fall and early winter to take care of the conditions of the rooms and building.

I hope that you will come back next spring to give us your feedback then on the changes.

Clarklake, Michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2014

I stayed at this Comfort Inn for one night on the way to a trail race the following day. I always stay with the Comfort Inn family of hotels and have always been satisfied. However, this hotel did not meet my standards as far as clean living conditions.

When I arrived I quickly checked in and asked the young lady at the front desk if there was anywhere nearby to get a beer. She actually gave me a list with directions to several area restaurants and gave me a couple of her own personal suggestions, which I liked. I also forgot my toothbrush and she was happy to supply me with one to get me by. At this point, I hadn't been to my room yet.

After dinner (around 10:30pm) on the way up to my room, the lobby and halls were filled with men chatting and drinking beer. Not many things make me feel uncomfortable, evening when traveling solo, but I felt slightly uneasy going upstairs to my room. I went into my room, lifted the lid of the toilet and found it to be filled with urine and toilet paper. The rest of the bathroom appeared to have been cleaned so I don't know if housekeeping used the bathroom or what but needless to see I was kind of taken aback. Hilariously, I noticed a "now hiring housekeepers" sign at the entrance on my way out and I would tend not to disagree with that statement.

The bed itself was comfortable and the sheets where clean, however as others have said, the rooms were extremely dated in decor and looked very worn out. My room also had a hole in the ceiling where the plaster was hanging down in a corner. I can see paying $50 a night for the room I had, but not $99. The value was not there.

Breakfast was traditional Comfort Inn fare. It was a good way to start the day and it looked the employees were diligent about keeping things warm and fresh. The gentleman who checked me out was extremely friendly as well. The employees really make the hotel. I'm glad to hear it's getting renovations because I think they are about 10 years overdue. I probably would not stay at this hotel again unless some major upgrades were made.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Thomas C, General Manager at Comfort Inn, responded to this review, June 20, 2014
Dear Mopogra,

I am sorry for the lack of cleanliness in your room and the uneasy feeling some of our guests gave you during your stay. We do have a few construction crews here and they like to congregate in the halls and chat sometimes. Yes we do have an older hotel, but do our best to keep it clean and give great service. Since you know of our upcoming renovations, I hope that if you are in the area this time next year. You will stop in and let us know what you think of the changes.

Once again, I do apologize for the few issues you incurred. I hope you have a great summer.

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2014

Down here for the AUCSC conference held on WVU campus. 3 night stay in the whirlpool suite. The first problem was with the card reader to my room. It took an average of 20 swipes to find the sweet spot to get the door to unlock. Several times it would not work at all and I had to have my card reset. On a related note, the side door at the end of the hallway near my room, and near where I parked, did not open with the card. I had to walk inside and down the long hotel all times when I could have just popped in and out of the side door.

There was a sizable hole in the carpet and there was a huge bubble blister on the nightstand caused by water. Lastly, the safe did not have batteries but I didn't call to have it replaced because I didn't have anything to go in there.

The biggest problem was the hot tub. White the jets worked, they did not have an air intake (carb or choke) to allow air-infused jets. They were just pushing water around with out any true 'jet' to the stream. This did not allow bubbles to build very well and did not provide much of a massage. I have had dozens of comfort inn hot tub suites and this was the only one that did not have an air valve.

The staff was still great. Housekeeping didn't rush me out of my room slightly past check-out time. After checkout, when I was getting lunch in town before driving back to Pittsburgh, the front desk called me saying housekeeping found my Canon battery charger, and they held it at the front desk for me to pick up. Good thing I decided to stay in town for lunch before hitting I-79,

The overall experience was still quite positive, I had a very comfortable stay and slept great. I would just say that the hotel doesn't pay as much attention to detail with maintenance because it is kind of a party hotel, and they know they can fill all rooms no matter what condition they are in because it is a college town/right off the interstate. I will probably look elsewhere for accommodations next trip, though.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Thomas C, General Manager at Comfort Inn, responded to this review, May 20, 2014
Dear Mike M,

I would like to apologize for the problems you incurred during your stay, but I am pleased that you found the overall service to be good. We do understand that we have an older product when it comes to our guest rooms. To take care of that we will be doing renovations in the late fall and early winter to resolve that issue. I hope that once they are completed in the spring of 2015, you will come back and give your feed back on the changes that we will have made. I am pleased that we took the intitiative to call you when we found that you left your charger in the room.

Once again let me apologize fo the room condition. I hope that you have an enjoyable summer.

Thomas Crosby

Been to Comfort Inn? Share your experiences!