“Great Staff” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #18 of 22 hotels in Morgantown
Huntersville, North Carolina, USA
“Great Staff”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2011

This Comfort Inn isn't new, and Comfort Inn's aren't supposed to be fancy. This one is a nice, older, lower-mid range hotel, located right at the intersection of 68 & 79. If you're looking for a cheap place to just spend a night or two, this is fine. If you're staying for a week or want a place with a nice lobby, go to the Waterfront. The bed was comfortable and the room was clean - not new, not decorated fancy - but clean and comfortable. With a new flat screen with a remote that doesn't reset to the stupid "hotel channel" that most do.

The staff is great. I talked with the house keeping staff both mornings about football and places to eat for 10 minutes. They then greeted me everytime they saw me. The breakfast staff helped me find a place to get my oil changed. The first time I stayed they were initially sold out and helped me look for a place to stay (before someone called and cancelled while we were working on this). I can understand this not being the level some people were expecting, but I can't believe the issues people had with the staff. Both times I stayed it was sold out and busy and everyone was happy and friendly.

The breakfast could use some work. Not very appetizing especially in that small old room. But the pink strawberry waffles were better than they look!

Thanks. See you again.

Room Tip: No elevator, so keep that in mind if stairs are a problem.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled solo

112 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2011 via mobile

When I stayed it was the worst hotel I have ever stayed at it was the dirtest place I set foot in an I suggust that nobody stays at this hotel because they might get sick from the mold its all over the place an the mangers are unfriendly an they don't no how to treat guest an the hotel should be shut down an that's the bottom line

• Stayed September 2011
Kathie M, Manager at Comfort Inn, responded to this review, September 22, 2011
Jolee22,

I apologize that you found your stay with us unsatisfactory. Unfortunately I did not have a chance to speak with you about your stay and try to make it satisfactory before you left. I would love to chance to speak with you further on the problems you had here. You can reach me at 304-296-9364 anytime.

Sincerely

Kathie Moore
Richmond, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2011

We stayed at this hotel for 1 night in August 2011, after a family reunion in a neighboring town. We are a family of 5; 2 adults and three small children (ages 5, 4, and 2). We usually stay at Choice Hotels since they have a fairly good rewards program, so I'd say I've stayed in 30-40 different Choice Hotels locations in the last 10 years. This hotel was, by far, the worst hotel I've ever visited - when we arrived at the hotel the front door was filthy and remained so throughout our visit. Common areas were not air-conditioned, even though it was 85+ degrees outside. We asked why, and were told by one clerk that the air-conditioning had been turned off because of the weather (it was 90+ inside the hotel!) and by another clerk that the AC had been broken for 2 weeks. Hallways were dark, with carpet that was stained, dirty, and poorly maintained. There is no elevator in this hotel, so we had to cart 3 kids and all our luggage up a dark flight of stairs to get to our room.

The room is one thing I cannot complain about, however - the AC worked, the room was clean and fairly well-maintained (although the shower leaked) and there were double locks on the door.

The breakfast was also the worst I've seen at a Choice Hotels - there were several options (eggs, bacon, biscuits, bagels, etc.) but it appeared that food was stocked one time in the morning and then not replenished. We visited the breakfast area around 8 am and they were out of scrambled eggs, bacon, toast, butter, and milk! Luckily we managed to get (the last 2) boiled eggs and got some cereal, and since we were traveling with children we had some milk in our room. There are only 3 tables for breakfast (and none which seat 4 people) so we were unable to eat in the lobby, which didn't matter much since it was 80+ degrees in the common areas at 8 am.

Overall, I would NOT recommend this hotel to anyone, and we will not stay there ever again. There are many nicer choices in the Morgantown area for a similar cost.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2011

My company paid for me to stay in this hotel, and I'm glad they paid because I would have never paid for it. I was put in room 102 and the smell of mold was so bad that I asked to be moved. The person at the front desk was so rude and said they had no other rooms available, so I asked to talk to a manager and she said she was a general manager. I then went back to the same room, decided to go and get something to eat. When I came back to the hotel, I thought I would need my card to get into the back door, but however, I didn't need a key, the door didn't seem to shut properly. I then started thinking that anyone can enter that hotel through the back door. I decided to make sure my door was locked and went to take a shower and found that I had black mold growing inside the shower door. When I called the front desk, I didn't get an answer, so I had to go back down and talk to that rude lady again. When I told them about the shower, she wouldn't give me a direct answer. So, I really had no choice but to go back to the room and try to avoid breathing in the discusting smell of mold. I would never stay there again. If that lady was a general manager they need to retrain her in customer service, because she was the rudest person I have ever come across.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Cincinnati, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2011

I stayed at this location on Sunday 8/14

I should have know better to stop in after trying to make a phone reservation and hanging up after waiting 9 minutes for someone to never answer the phone.

The desk help was unfriendly and not willing to make any calls when the wireless was out of order, I was told at 400pm that it would be out for about an hour. When I went to bed at 1100pm it was still out.

The room smelled musty and the air conditioner was really dirty.

When checking out the desk clerk gave me a bit of atitude when I asked to have the safe rental fee removed from my bill.

All of this for $89.00 per night!

I will spend my money elsewhere the next time I go to Morgantown.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Hanover, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2011

Stayed here for a wedding weekend in August 2010. The construction/renovations didn't bother me, but it didn't feel very clean. I was hesitant to take a shower because of the way the bathtub looked and the breakfast area was far too small and didn't feel very clean.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2011

Awful hotel. Maintenance needed everywhere, from door frames to stairs to rugs and wallpaper. Breakfast awful. We left.
Never going back, and suggest you avoid at all costs. Did not feel safe at all. Lousy neighborhood.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

Been to Comfort Inn? Share your experiences!