“Clean and Friendly” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #15 of 22 Hotels in Morgantown
Ohio
“Clean and Friendly”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

The price was right. Bed wasn't too bad. Plenty of pillows. The staff very friendly. Basic breakfast.
The rooms could use some updating, but it serviced its purpose. Just needed a clean place to sleep and shower.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Oakville, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2014

My wife and I, and our two adult children stopped at this Econo Lodge on our way from Florida back to Canada. I booked 2 rooms in advance based on reviews on Tripadvisor. Those favorable reviews must have been written by owners or employees because this place is a dump. Yes, it did appear that there had been some attempt to renovate but some things like damaged furniture must have been skipped, and additional damage done since the renovation. In one room the clothes rack near the vanity had been torn off the wall, and in the other, the bathroom door knob had punched a large hole in the wall. The carpeting on the outdoor walkways was extremely filthy and covered in numerous stains. In places there was more stained area than non-stained areas.
It looked like the kind of place you should check for bed bugs and when I tried to inspect the mattress I found it had one of those covers design to stop them. The pillows also had them as well. My son checked a website where people report bed bug problems and this place had apparently had a serious problem a few years earlier.We didn't find any ourselves.
And then there were the other guests standing and walking about the premises. They would be best described as sketchy. We didn't feel safe for the few hours we spent there. In the morning we found the breakfast area was a tiny little corner of the lobby and had only one table and one chair, so we left and had to stop to get something to eat elsewhere.
My family and I have traveled a lot all over America and stayed in many reasonably priced hotels/motels over the years. I would say this is probably the third worst we'd ever seen. I would have left immediately upon seeing it but I had guaranteed the reservation with a credit card and it was too late to cancel by the time we arrived. Tripadvisor had let us down for the first time and I felt the need to warn others.

Room Tip: Some where else.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Ronnie S, General Manager at Econo Lodge Coliseum, responded to this review, May 8, 2014
Hi Kari,
Thank you so much for expressing your feelings about our property. We our an outdoor facing property and do cater to the workers. I am very proud that as you inspected your room you found it to be in clean and bed bug free. We take pride in operating a clean establishment and are working on improvements to include replacement of our outdoor carpet. I am also very sorry to hear that you did not feel comfortable at our property. We have our local police department (Star City Police) that patrol our lot at a minimum for 4 times daily, and our worker crews stay long term and are very friendly. I would like the opportunity to speak with you more about your stay to help improve our hotel, and hearing from our guests is very important to us here at Econo Lodge Coliseum.

Huntsville, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2014

we had been driving about 10 hours and were looking for a place to stay. We saw the hotel sign at the exit and went to the econo lodge. I asked my wife if she wanted to check a room as the curtain was open but she was tired and hungry and said just book it.
Once inside she wished we could have cancelled. The room smelled of javex (a good thing) the ceiling was peeling and the shower in the bathroom had ceiling flakes in the tub.
They offer a breakfast but we just got up packed and left- marking it on a map as a location to avoid.

Room Tip: a place to avoid until they do a major restoration
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for sharing your experience while traveling to the Greater Morgantown area. I am sorry that we did not meet your expectations and would love the opportunity to speak with you, so that we can better understand your experience. While our renovations are moving forward and replacement of our popcorn ceiling is occurring, I sincerely apologize that our guest room wasn't up to your standards. I look forward to hearing from you and thank you again for your comments.

Bedford, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2014

Nice clean single, friendly staff and nice location. Will stop there first good value. It was parents weekend so I wasn't having much luck econolodge is back a little off main road so it was available and nice and quiet to help with a good night's sleep.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Thank you so much for sharing your experience while visiting the Morgantown Area. We look forward to seeing you again in the future and in the mean time if there is anything we can do to assist you please contact us at 304-599-8181. Thank you once again!!!

Wyandotte, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2014

My teenage daughter and I were coming home after a long weekend. We stopped at this Econo Lodge. Easy to get to even in the dark! Check in was easy and pleasant. Room was nice, clean and comfortable. Looks like the room was recently updated. Pet friendly as we traveled with our small dog. Good value for the money. Would stop here again.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Harpers Ferry, West Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2014

They billed me an extra $175.00. I talked to four different people and they have given me two different stories for what the charge is. I request more info on this charge but still nothing. The manager is only part time and is never there to assist you and the front desk states they can not do anything without the managers approval. KEEP AN EYE ON YOUR CREDIT CARD AFTER STAYING HERE!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Terra Alta, West Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2014

We had a two night stay here on March 16 and 17. The location was excellent for our trip to the CAC on WVU's campus and our shopping and dining trip into Morgantown. The room was clean, though the tv and furniture were dated. The bed was comfortable and we were able to regulate the temperature. Two minor maintenance issues were addressed immediately. If you're just looking for a night's stay at the University, this will fit the bill. If you're looking for deluxe accommodations you might want to stay somewhere else.

Room Tip: Try to stay on the ground floor.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Econo Lodge Coliseum? Share your experiences!