“Okay but Housekeeping a no show.” 3 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #15 of 22 hotels in Morgantown
“Okay but Housekeeping a no show.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

A large group of us (5 rooms) stayed here last Friday and Saturday. We were all in town for the WVU/Texas football game. There was a 2 night minimum, but at least they raise their rates because it was a home game weekend. Overall the hotel was fine. It is clean and adequate. Nothing fancy but certainly acceptable. It is located close to stores, restaurants and the football stadium. It was easy to find and easy to get around. They provide a simple breakfast (coffee, tea, muffins, juice, sausage and waffles), and there is a Shoney's right next door if you want something else.

The ONLY complaint I have is that Housekeeping didn't clean our room on Saturday. We left the room to go touring and tailgating at around 11 am and didn't return to our room until 1am. Unfortunately, the beds hadn't been made and the towels weren't replaced. There were plenty of towels for the two days, so it wasn't THAT big of a deal. But I really like to come back to my hotel room and have it freshened up. To me, that's one of the nice things about staying in a hotel.

The front desk was nice about it when I mentioned it at check-out. But there wasn't much they could do about it at that point. The housekeepers were cleaning rooms very early on Sunday morning as we were all checking out. So, maybe on Saturday morning they came by really early while we were still asleep and didn't bother to come back a little later when we were gone. Since football fans tend to be night owl partiers, they need to realize their guests won't be getting up early on Saturday morning and schedule their housekeeping accordingly (especially when the game isn't until 7pm that night. )

Again, this wasn't a BIG deal, but it was a little dissapointing.

Room Tip: Maybe ask for a room away from the breezeway or a second floor room. We were right next to the smok...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Ronnie S, General Manager at Econo Lodge Coliseum, responded to this review, November 21, 2013
Thank you for relaying your experience while staying at our property. We sincerely apologize for housekeepings lack of cleaning. I will be sure to convey your message to them and immediately correct this problem. We hope that when your travels bring you back to the Greater Morgantown area, that you will give us another opportunity to serve you.

69 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
North Tonawanda, NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2013

Spacious room, divided dressing wash basin from toilet and shower, which makes dressing and showering easier when more than one person stays in the room. Rooms open directly onto parking lot. No interior corridors. May be a concern for women traveling alone. Clean but upholstered chairs were stained and the tv is old. Wifi signals were strong and internet easily accessed.

More paperwork than I'm used to at registration, which was further slowed by clerk taking a personal call while two of us waited to claim our rooms.

Room Tip: Request ground floor if you don't want to drag luggage up an outside stairway.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Ronnie S, General Manager at Econo Lodge Coliseum, responded to this review, November 5, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to complete our online survey regarding your recent stay at our hotel. Your feedback is very important to us and we can assure you that we will use this information to do everything possible to create an enjoyable experience for each of our guests. We hope to see you again soon!
Corning, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

We stayed at the Econo Lodge for a WVU football game and would certainly consider it again. The location is perfect, with the exception of the sign that states no left turn out of the parking lot (the direction you need to go for the game). The rooms were OK. It certainly isn't the Ritz, but who spends a ton of time in the room on game weekends anyway? The beds were comfortable, the sheets were clean and the bathroom was clean. Continental breakfast was acceptable and offered something for everyone. The one thing that I was disappointed with is that my friends got their room for $50/night less, so I felt a little bit ripped off in that sense. We killed one stink bug, but who cares? Any hotel in America can have a stink bug make it's way into their rooms. Would I stay here again? Absolutely, as long as their rates remain competitive and it makes sense to do so.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for sharing your experience. We look forward to accomodating you again during your return trip to the Morgantown area. Your feedback is very important to us and we can assure you that we will use this information to do everything possible to create an enjoyable experience for each of our guests. We hope to see you again soon!
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013 via mobile

Arrived to find room not ready...good start! They did give me $10 off for my inconvenience...I had to ask though. Place was expensive and could not easily walk to town . The smell of urine in the hallways was unpleasant! It had an unsafe feel to it. Rooms were ok.... Nice big bed....had to kill a bunch of stink bugs! Pillows so uncomfortable. Shower was nice and warm but the water pressure could not be adjusted...like a power wash...not good. I did notice the cleaning staff were very friendly and helpful. Just too expensive for a low quality hotel. Shoneys next door was great for breakfast.

• Stayed October 2013
Ronnie S, General Manager at Econo Lodge Coliseum, responded to this review, October 9, 2013
Thank you so much for expressing your concern about our hotel. We take guest satisfaction very serious. During you stay our rates where increased due to a special event-- WVU Football, and while I understand you were not here for the game, many of our guests were. I have read all of your comments and would like to speak with you personally about your stay at our property. At your convenience please give me a call. I look forward to speaking with you, and once again thank you for the comments.
Parkersburg, West Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

I stayed here while a family friend was a patient at Ruby Memorial Hospital. The hotel is dated, and there were rips in the wallpaper in my room. But the room was exactly what I expected for the price I paid, and there were no bugs. I had a room right off the front parking lot. I had friends that got a room around on the back side, close to a wooded area. Unfortunately, we are having a bad season of stink bugs, and their room had quite a few. Even though the front desk clerk did his best to get them to another room, they decided not to stay. I am thankful I had a bug free room. And the night clerk was pleasant to all of us.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for taking the time to post a review about our hotel. We are currently experiencing a high amount of stink bugs in the Morgantown area. We have modified our cleaning to help keep them from our property, but being well lighted draws there attraction like no-other. Since your visit, we have sprayed the wooded area with a light pesticide to help lower the numbers, but we are hopeful that with the winter season fast approaching they should be eliminated quickly. Thank you once again for the review, and we sincerely appreciate the comment. We look forward to accomodating you again when your travels bring you to the Morgantown area.
Charleston, West Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

We're football fanatics and dread going up and back to Morgantown in the same game day. So we decided to try the Econo Lodge Coliseum to make it easier. The location is about perfect...close to the exit, easy to get in and out of and very close to the football stadium (and even closer to the Coliseum as the name indicates...you can walk there!) During game weekends it's a two-night minimum but you'll pay less for these two nights than you would one night somewhere else! First of all, forget anything you might remember about this motel not being nice. It's been completely updated, with attractive furnishings, comfortable linens and beds and everything else you might want. Our room had a microwave and a small fridge which was an added treat. The rooms are large and roomy. The shower is hot and powerful! Breakfast was adequate. The coffee was hot and strong. They served orange juice, waffles, English muffins, pastries and some other little things. And don't forget if you want something more substantial, go to the Shoney's across the parking lot! The staff couldn't be nicer or more attentive to our needs. The dear woman who checked us out today has been with the motel for 16 years and was a real delight. The man who checked us in was likewise friendly and knowledgeable and warmly welcomed us to the place. I was hesitant to write this review, fearing my secret little getaway will be revealed, but that's the risk I'll run. This place was perfect for our needs and we will be back...every football weekend for sure. So see you there!

Room Tip: This is two-story hotel without an elevator. All rooms exit to the outside and an internal corridor...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Ronnie S, General Manager at Econo Lodge Coliseum, responded to this review, October 3, 2013

I am glad to hear you enjoyed your stay at our property. I will be sure to share this information with the staff. We really appreciate the comments, and look forward to seeing you again!
Alexandria VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

Ended up stopping here at the midway point coming back from KY on the way to VA/DC. Had stopped at the Best Western, but they didn't allow pets. So ended up up the hill to this Econo Lodge, which did accept pets :-) Glad it worked out.

Larry Ford, the night desk person was very friendly. He said he used to play for WVU. Was a very nice guy and checked us in quickly. Told us what to expect in the morning re the bfast and the hours. Were happy it went until 10, as didn't check in until around 1 a.m.

Thought this was a hidden gem. Not a bad place to stay. The room had lots of space. Decent sized small refr. 1 King bed was decent. Convenient location to the highway. Shoneys was next door. The tub didn't quite drain as well as it should. I meant to mention that to the front desk, but forgot.

Morning staff were very friendly and nice as well. Cleaning staff were nice and friendly as well.
Bfast was no frills. Some packets of donuts, muffins, some cereal. Not a huge space for eating. Was more or less on the side of the lobby. Ended up skipping bfast to get a little more sleep. Room was nice and dark with curtains that blocked the light.

Liked that it was so close to WVU. If I ever come back this way again, would stay here.

Room Tip: Stayed in room #116 with 1 King bed. Was on the end. Was quiet and dark for sleeping.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to inform us about your stay. I am very happy to hear that Larry took good care of you. Being a former Mountaineer, he can be pretty intimidating and some of our guests are a little taken back by him, I will be sure to inform him of your comments. I am very glad to hear that we are able to provide you with an exellent experience while in the Morgantown area. We look forward to accommodating you during your next trip to Morgantown and hope to see you soon.

Been to Econo Lodge Coliseum? Share your experiences!