“Second trip to fly fishing HEAVEN!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Elk Springs Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Monterville
Elk Springs Resort
Save Saved
You added Elk Springs Resort to your Saves list
#14 A Dry Branch Resort, Monterville, WV 26282   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Monterville
Flemington, New Jersy
“Second trip to fly fishing HEAVEN!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2007

This was our second time to Elk Springs and as always it was well worth our eight hour drive. We arived on Friday and fished through the weekend with lots of success. Catching a huge hatch on Sunday night when several of us hooked into some enormous rainbows and browns. This included our cousin who Bill just tought to cast only the day before. I personally cought a big brown Sunday morning when the fog was still out on the water. I have thought about that moment every day in my cubical since and I just can't wait to go back in the fall! I want to thank John, Amanda and Bill for taking such great care of us. I would recommend Elk Springs to anyone who loves fishing, wants to learn to fly fish or just wants to relax in the mountains.

Best Regards,
Brian Swingle
(Jersey Boys)

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Nothing, Everything was awesome!
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Richmond
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2007

I didn't stay at Elk Springs, but I brought my 4 year old son there for the first fly fishing experience for the both of us. John was our guide and he was wonderful. My boy had a great time. I took my whole family and some friends back another time. And everyone had a great time. Others we met there said the lodge was great.

• Stayed May 2007
Belle, West Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2007

If you want to get away from it all and revive your soul...you NEED to stay here. Our hosts were like old buddies that you haven't seen in ten years, but have wanted to catch up with.

The bait shop / bar / restaurant was a "one-of-a-kind" experience in itself, with good food and fun. If you're lucky, you will stop by on the right night and hear some good music- played by some of the local friends.

We stayed in the soaring lodge. HUGE and nice is the best way to describe it. Every detail of the interior was thought out for providing guests pure enjoyment. Calming, soothing, comfortable. Take the feeling that you have when you go back and stay with your mom and dad and throw in an upscale edge. The hardwood floors are magnificent; as well as the furniture and decor. Everything is an eclectic mix that you would have never thought of or put together yourself, but you LOVE when you experience it. Our room was the Safari Suite, and it was perfect. Nice layout, very roomy and VERY NICE.

If you fish you will explode here with pure enjoyment. The trout are EVERYWHERE and they are HUGE. If you don't have any tack or you don't want to bring yours...you won't have to. If you've never fly-fished before, the host will gladly teach you. Speaking of our hosts again, these folks are so engrossed in wanting to make you comfortable that it's unbelievable. They wouldn't take my money to pay for ANYTHING until it was time to leave. UNREAL.

If you have a weekend that you want to use for self-renewal...use it wisely. Stay here. It's worth DOUBLE what we paid.

Stayed January 2007
Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2007

What can you say about something so breathtaking with all the natural beauty that surrounds this place, plus the warmth you receive from John and Marica as you step into this place. My boyfriend James and me has been there 3 times so far and the place keeps calling us back to it. Everytime we arrive Marica and John welcome us with open arms, they have become part of a family to us. The service you will receive from this place is like something you have dreamed about but havent felt it until you get here. The flyfishing is awsome at this place you can surely be sure you will catch some fish , but what gets me about it is all the warmth and beauty that is held here by not only nature but the people . So if you want to have the feeling of going back home then this is the place for you , It has so much to offer from flyfishing , to skiing which is only 13 miles away ,to just relaxing and enjoying their company or begin romantic with your other half , this is surely the place you will find it all. Thank you Marcia and John for making us part of your family. See you all again soon I know in May for sure .

Stayed January 2007
VIrginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2007

We had a great time in one of their log cabins. Spent a day on a guided fly fishing tour with one of the managers, John, had a fantastic time, and even though the fish weren't interested we still managed to catch a few. He was more than happy to get us started the day before, and spend a few hours with us to teach us the basics too. The cabins were clean, well-kept and very roomy with everything you could need to enjoy the stay, not to mention the river ran right past our cabin. We couldnt have asked for a better location. The managers were extremely friendly and made our stay very enjoyable. Great food and even better company. They have a great set up for trout fishing with creeks for beginners and rivers for the more advanced. Plus for those not fishing the managers are more than happy to help you out with nearby trails and other attractions (snowshoe mountian nearby). We have booked to go back again in april and are counting down the days.

• Liked — the location
  • Disliked — nothing it was great
  • Tips/Secrets — make sure you book a fly fishing tour - you will have a great time and great memories
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2006

Elk Spings Resort was one of the most beautiful places I have seen. It reminded me of one of those places one sees in a movie. Our trip was in the winter to go skiing. Our family of five reserved a suite and we were upgraded to a gorgeous cabin located by a beautiful picturesque running stream. The price was great. The service was personal. The managers, John and Marcia, were extremely accommodating. Because of a long road trip our family took to get there, we arrived late at night to check in and the office was closed. A note was left at the office door with the keys to our room. The note said to knock on the door of the manager (who lives on the site in a house near by) if I needed anything. We knocked to make sure we had the right keys and to inquire about any chances of eating something. The manager was very friendly and said the kithchen was closed but he would be more than glad to cook for us if we wanted. We said we didn't want to impose, he gave us a bag of food more than enough for the five. This kind of service is rare to find anywhere. Not only was Elk Springs beautiful but the service and people were great. Loved IT!!!!!!!!!!!

• Liked — Very beautiful
  • Disliked — No open resaturants near by
  • Tips/Secrets — scenery, adventure,
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2006

My nine-year old son and I spent a weekend at Elk Springs Resort this month. This was a well researched Father’s Day present from my wife. Neither my son nor I had ever fly fished, so Bill was our guide for two days as we learned the most important basics of fly fishing. The host and hostess, John and Marcia, were wonderful and made us feel right at home with their hospitality and home cooked meals (my son misses their dog already)!! Like me, they found peace in this rural part of West Virginia along the Elk River (but were smart enough to move there). My son and I stayed at the recently opened lodge. It’s a spacious lodge with beautiful rooms. The cabins, however, offer the best view (and sound) of the river, since they are pretty much right on top of the river.

We had a hard time leaving. On one hand, my son didn’t want to stop fishing the springs, which provided ample trout and a wealth of learning for both him and me. For me, the river, mountain with perfect fall colors, fish, and just as important, peace and quite made this trip memorable. As a new fly fisherman, I couldn’t compare Elk Springs Resort to anywhere else. I would have to say that it would be very hard for me to try anywhere else in the likely scenario of being disappointed.

• Stayed October 2006, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Elk Springs Resort? Share your experiences!