“Elk Springs is like a 2nd home to us. We have made several trips.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Elk Springs Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Monterville
Elk Springs Resort
#14 A Dry Branch Resort, Monterville, WV 26282   |
Ranked #1 of 1 hotels in Monterville
Columbus, Ohio
“Elk Springs is like a 2nd home to us. We have made several trips.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2010

We have stayed at Elk Springs more than 12 times in the past year, including Oct. when there was a problem with flies. THe color of the building causes the flies to come to lay eggs in the pitched roof, so the problem was in the upstairs rooms.
We have always enjoyed our stay. The staff is great! The fishing is great!. It is nice to just relax (I don't fish) and it would make a great yoga retreat. It is so quiet you can hear the river flowing day and night. The price is reasonable. There is tv in the lodge and some of the rooms, but who wants tv? I like the quiet. There is shopping and a Branson show in nearby Elkins. The Petry's. Ohio

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple

39 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Boston, MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2009

First, I must say that this is the first time I've ever reviewed anything online. I felt so strongly about this place it was the first thing I wanted to do when I got home!

My father and I stumbled upon this gem on the internet and made a reservation in the lodge for a weekend father-daughter fishing getaway. We had an incredible experience and can't wait to go back next year!

The lodge seemed brand new, with a beautifully finished wood interior, spacious well kept rooms and a nice, deep bathtub jacuzzi in each room. We didn't see any bugs inside at all. They had a nice kitchen there in the lodge you could use, satellite TV and the managers said they are working on getting wireless up there. Overall, the lodge made me feel very luxurious but amidst a rustic atmosphere; we were suprised to find such a nice facility so far away from main towns and roads!

The fishing at Elk Springs was beyond excellent. I caught 8 fish in a 24 hour period, and I'm totally a beginner! You could see all these huge trout just laying there in the water, and they haven't been stocked in over 50 years. My dad had never seen anything quite like it and he's fished all over the world. The fishing there is apparently just as good year round because the water flows right out from underground limestone caves where the temperature is always the same and the alkali environment is good for the fish. They have 2 miles of stream, and we found that the farther we got away from the lodge, the easier the fish were to catch, but that might have just been our experience.

What really made our experience at Elk Springs stand out was the genuine and kind folks that run the place. As well as the other staff we found Amanda and John (managers), and Dave (guide) to be endlessly helpful, flexible and welcoming. It was clear that they really love what they do, and it shows in how they take care of guests. Dave and John were gave us lots of great advice on the fishing, Amanda entertained us with stories over home cooked meals and gladly answered all of our questions about the region. I really felt comfortable and cared for amid their hospitality, and appreciated how they really took the time to get to know us.

• Stayed November 2009
West Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2009

Freedom of speech is a wonderful luxury to be used by all US citizens, unfortunately it is also abused with blowing situations out of proportion. As I remember, the folks that sent in a bad review of Elk Springs Resort arrived to find some bugs around the lodge, yet they did not state in thier review that they were offered a room downstairs where there was absolutely NO BUGS, but maybe in thier minds "bigger was better", bigger bed, bigger room, bigger tub. As part of the "cleaning crew", that lodge was fully cleaned/disinfected and was inspected earlier that day. This resort is located in the middle of nature/woods/wildlife..that means with the beauty comes pests whether its bugs or mice. If those of you are looking for perfection I'd suggest finding a 5 star hotel in a big dirty city instead of a backwoods resort with clean air and plenty of hospitality.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2007

The trip we had was great. The fishing was real good but the people were even better. John, Amanda and Bill were the best. Myself and two co-workers took our trip to Elk Springs to try somewhere else for a fishing weekend...and boy it was a great choice. The cabin we stayed at on the island was very nice, you can hear the river at night. The food was very good, You must try John's ribs, very good. All of the people who work there were very nice. I used their guide service, Bill was my guide. The first thing he asked me" Do you want to just catch fish or would you like me to teach you what I know so you can catch more fish later, and help yourself grow as a Fly fisherman." I said teach on.... He was a very knowledgeable man and very patient too. We fished all day and with his help I cought three of the biggest trout of my life....anyway on Saturday night we had a blast at the bar with everyone. Also the local people we met were very helpful and real nice..... Our trip was three day of pure fishing fun. We plan to take our next spring fishing trip right back to Elk Springs sometime in 2008. I can't wait...

• Liked — The staff
  • Disliked — No cable or sat Tv
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Flemington, New Jersy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2007

This was our second time to Elk Springs and as always it was well worth our eight hour drive. We arived on Friday and fished through the weekend with lots of success. Catching a huge hatch on Sunday night when several of us hooked into some enormous rainbows and browns. This included our cousin who Bill just tought to cast only the day before. I personally cought a big brown Sunday morning when the fog was still out on the water. I have thought about that moment every day in my cubical since and I just can't wait to go back in the fall! I want to thank John, Amanda and Bill for taking such great care of us. I would recommend Elk Springs to anyone who loves fishing, wants to learn to fly fish or just wants to relax in the mountains.

Best Regards,
Brian Swingle
(Jersey Boys)

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Nothing, Everything was awesome!
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Richmond
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2007

I didn't stay at Elk Springs, but I brought my 4 year old son there for the first fly fishing experience for the both of us. John was our guide and he was wonderful. My boy had a great time. I took my whole family and some friends back another time. And everyone had a great time. Others we met there said the lodge was great.

• Stayed May 2007
Belle, West Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2007

If you want to get away from it all and revive your soul...you NEED to stay here. Our hosts were like old buddies that you haven't seen in ten years, but have wanted to catch up with.

The bait shop / bar / restaurant was a "one-of-a-kind" experience in itself, with good food and fun. If you're lucky, you will stop by on the right night and hear some good music- played by some of the local friends.

We stayed in the soaring lodge. HUGE and nice is the best way to describe it. Every detail of the interior was thought out for providing guests pure enjoyment. Calming, soothing, comfortable. Take the feeling that you have when you go back and stay with your mom and dad and throw in an upscale edge. The hardwood floors are magnificent; as well as the furniture and decor. Everything is an eclectic mix that you would have never thought of or put together yourself, but you LOVE when you experience it. Our room was the Safari Suite, and it was perfect. Nice layout, very roomy and VERY NICE.

If you fish you will explode here with pure enjoyment. The trout are EVERYWHERE and they are HUGE. If you don't have any tack or you don't want to bring yours...you won't have to. If you've never fly-fished before, the host will gladly teach you. Speaking of our hosts again, these folks are so engrossed in wanting to make you comfortable that it's unbelievable. They wouldn't take my money to pay for ANYTHING until it was time to leave. UNREAL.

If you have a weekend that you want to use for self-renewal...use it wisely. Stay here. It's worth DOUBLE what we paid.

Stayed January 2007

Been to Elk Springs Resort? Share your experiences!