“I'm Refreshed and Brand New” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Elk Springs Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Monterville
Elk Springs Resort
You added Elk Springs Resort to your Saves list
#14 A Dry Branch Resort, Monterville, WV 26282   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Monterville
Belle, West Virginia
“I'm Refreshed and Brand New”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2007

If you want to get away from it all and revive your soul...you NEED to stay here. Our hosts were like old buddies that you haven't seen in ten years, but have wanted to catch up with.

The bait shop / bar / restaurant was a "one-of-a-kind" experience in itself, with good food and fun. If you're lucky, you will stop by on the right night and hear some good music- played by some of the local friends.

We stayed in the soaring lodge. HUGE and nice is the best way to describe it. Every detail of the interior was thought out for providing guests pure enjoyment. Calming, soothing, comfortable. Take the feeling that you have when you go back and stay with your mom and dad and throw in an upscale edge. The hardwood floors are magnificent; as well as the furniture and decor. Everything is an eclectic mix that you would have never thought of or put together yourself, but you LOVE when you experience it. Our room was the Safari Suite, and it was perfect. Nice layout, very roomy and VERY NICE.

If you fish you will explode here with pure enjoyment. The trout are EVERYWHERE and they are HUGE. If you don't have any tack or you don't want to bring yours...you won't have to. If you've never fly-fished before, the host will gladly teach you. Speaking of our hosts again, these folks are so engrossed in wanting to make you comfortable that it's unbelievable. They wouldn't take my money to pay for ANYTHING until it was time to leave. UNREAL.

If you have a weekend that you want to use for self-renewal...use it wisely. Stay here. It's worth DOUBLE what we paid.

Stayed January 2007

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2007

What can you say about something so breathtaking with all the natural beauty that surrounds this place, plus the warmth you receive from John and Marica as you step into this place. My boyfriend James and me has been there 3 times so far and the place keeps calling us back to it. Everytime we arrive Marica and John welcome us with open arms, they have become part of a family to us. The service you will receive from this place is like something you have dreamed about but havent felt it until you get here. The flyfishing is awsome at this place you can surely be sure you will catch some fish , but what gets me about it is all the warmth and beauty that is held here by not only nature but the people . So if you want to have the feeling of going back home then this is the place for you , It has so much to offer from flyfishing , to skiing which is only 13 miles away ,to just relaxing and enjoying their company or begin romantic with your other half , this is surely the place you will find it all. Thank you Marcia and John for making us part of your family. See you all again soon I know in May for sure .

Stayed January 2007
VIrginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2007

We had a great time in one of their log cabins. Spent a day on a guided fly fishing tour with one of the managers, John, had a fantastic time, and even though the fish weren't interested we still managed to catch a few. He was more than happy to get us started the day before, and spend a few hours with us to teach us the basics too. The cabins were clean, well-kept and very roomy with everything you could need to enjoy the stay, not to mention the river ran right past our cabin. We couldnt have asked for a better location. The managers were extremely friendly and made our stay very enjoyable. Great food and even better company. They have a great set up for trout fishing with creeks for beginners and rivers for the more advanced. Plus for those not fishing the managers are more than happy to help you out with nearby trails and other attractions (snowshoe mountian nearby). We have booked to go back again in april and are counting down the days.

• Liked — the location
  • Disliked — nothing it was great
  • Tips/Secrets — make sure you book a fly fishing tour - you will have a great time and great memories
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled with friends
Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2006

Elk Spings Resort was one of the most beautiful places I have seen. It reminded me of one of those places one sees in a movie. Our trip was in the winter to go skiing. Our family of five reserved a suite and we were upgraded to a gorgeous cabin located by a beautiful picturesque running stream. The price was great. The service was personal. The managers, John and Marcia, were extremely accommodating. Because of a long road trip our family took to get there, we arrived late at night to check in and the office was closed. A note was left at the office door with the keys to our room. The note said to knock on the door of the manager (who lives on the site in a house near by) if I needed anything. We knocked to make sure we had the right keys and to inquire about any chances of eating something. The manager was very friendly and said the kithchen was closed but he would be more than glad to cook for us if we wanted. We said we didn't want to impose, he gave us a bag of food more than enough for the five. This kind of service is rare to find anywhere. Not only was Elk Springs beautiful but the service and people were great. Loved IT!!!!!!!!!!!

• Liked — Very beautiful
  • Disliked — No open resaturants near by
  • Tips/Secrets — scenery, adventure,
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2006

My nine-year old son and I spent a weekend at Elk Springs Resort this month. This was a well researched Father’s Day present from my wife. Neither my son nor I had ever fly fished, so Bill was our guide for two days as we learned the most important basics of fly fishing. The host and hostess, John and Marcia, were wonderful and made us feel right at home with their hospitality and home cooked meals (my son misses their dog already)!! Like me, they found peace in this rural part of West Virginia along the Elk River (but were smart enough to move there). My son and I stayed at the recently opened lodge. It’s a spacious lodge with beautiful rooms. The cabins, however, offer the best view (and sound) of the river, since they are pretty much right on top of the river.

We had a hard time leaving. On one hand, my son didn’t want to stop fishing the springs, which provided ample trout and a wealth of learning for both him and me. For me, the river, mountain with perfect fall colors, fish, and just as important, peace and quite made this trip memorable. As a new fly fisherman, I couldn’t compare Elk Springs Resort to anywhere else. I would have to say that it would be very hard for me to try anywhere else in the likely scenario of being disappointed.

• Stayed October 2006, traveled with family
Huntington WV
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2006

My stay at the Elk Springs was simply just too short. I only got to stay for one night on OCT 14,2006 and had a blast!!! Everything was tremendous there including the hosts of the property. The level of hospitality that we received on our stay was WONDERFUL! The food was excellent, the grounds were spectacular, the fishing was great and the lodging was unmatched in our state. This is truly a gem of WV, in fact, I am planning to return to the Elk Springs Resort before winter sets in.

• Liked — The Lodging and Hospitality
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Tips/Secrets — Use a guide if you want to fish.
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled with friends
Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2006

I came to fish, not sure what else to expect. I left after the weekend with memories that will last a lifetime.

As a trout bum, when I travel, be it business or pleasure, I always look for a place I can get to the water for some me time. It's how I unwind, it's where I spend quality time with God and where I get rid of the rat-race mentality that will trap us if we let it. We all need to find places where we can take off the masks and just be ourselves. Elk Springs Resort is such a place. They allowed me to set my own pace, fish when I wanted to fish and just relax and let the world drift by for a day or two; and I did.

For the fly fishing fanatics (like me) they have a private spring creek that runs through the property that is FULL of big honkin' fish. I'm talking bruisers that waste no time letting you know that they'll be calling the tune if you don't focus on business. I caught several fish on 'the creek,' four over 20" and one over 24" and then I went to the river that borders the property. I caught several 'lesser' fish of 8"-10" and, just at dark, during that sacred time that all fly fisher's know is THE time when the big boys come out, I tied into the biggest brown of my life! We were all over that river and it was coming in to the net for picture time. He had one more dogged run in him and just as he shook his head, the drag on my reel stuck and BING! and just like that he was gone.

For me, vacation is about head-clearing and making memories for the winter ahead and I did that at Elk Springs. They are a non-pretentious kind of place with rustic luxury, great food prepared simply and the kind of warm and friendly service you get too rarely nowadays. John and Marcia greeted me like kinfolk, took good care of me and let me know they'd love to see me again - not like a customer, but like family. Yep. I'm going back. I have a grudge-fight with a brown trout that kicked my tail-feathers - this time. And, I'm going back to talk with John and Marcia, eat one of John's steaks and let the rest of the world fade away for a few days.

Don't expect to see a uniformed wait-staff or silky, frilly doo-dads at Elk Springs. If falling asleep to the lullabye of a river that's headed somewhere, scenery that reminds you that only God can make this kind of beauty and big fish on the line doesn't get your engine revving, maybe you should go back to google and keep on lookin. Tell them the fishing pastor sent you!

• Liked — The location and the warmth of John and Marcia (the managers)
  • Disliked — That I had to leave too soon
  • Tips/Secrets — Don't expect frilly or pretentious at Elk Springs. Don't expect a french chef. DO expect great food and a great location with wonderful hosts.
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Elk Springs Resort? Share your experiences!