“Lets not lie about things...” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Elk Springs Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Monterville
Elk Springs Resort
You added Elk Springs Resort to your Saves list
#14 A Dry Branch Resort, Monterville, WV 26282   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Monterville
West Virginia
“Lets not lie about things...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2009

Freedom of speech is a wonderful luxury to be used by all US citizens, unfortunately it is also abused with blowing situations out of proportion. As I remember, the folks that sent in a bad review of Elk Springs Resort arrived to find some bugs around the lodge, yet they did not state in thier review that they were offered a room downstairs where there was absolutely NO BUGS, but maybe in thier minds "bigger was better", bigger bed, bigger room, bigger tub. As part of the "cleaning crew", that lodge was fully cleaned/disinfected and was inspected earlier that day. This resort is located in the middle of nature/woods/wildlife..that means with the beauty comes pests whether its bugs or mice. If those of you are looking for perfection I'd suggest finding a 5 star hotel in a big dirty city instead of a backwoods resort with clean air and plenty of hospitality.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2007

The trip we had was great. The fishing was real good but the people were even better. John, Amanda and Bill were the best. Myself and two co-workers took our trip to Elk Springs to try somewhere else for a fishing weekend...and boy it was a great choice. The cabin we stayed at on the island was very nice, you can hear the river at night. The food was very good, You must try John's ribs, very good. All of the people who work there were very nice. I used their guide service, Bill was my guide. The first thing he asked me" Do you want to just catch fish or would you like me to teach you what I know so you can catch more fish later, and help yourself grow as a Fly fisherman." I said teach on.... He was a very knowledgeable man and very patient too. We fished all day and with his help I cought three of the biggest trout of my life....anyway on Saturday night we had a blast at the bar with everyone. Also the local people we met were very helpful and real nice..... Our trip was three day of pure fishing fun. We plan to take our next spring fishing trip right back to Elk Springs sometime in 2008. I can't wait...

• Liked — The staff
  • Disliked — No cable or sat Tv
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Flemington, New Jersy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2007

This was our second time to Elk Springs and as always it was well worth our eight hour drive. We arived on Friday and fished through the weekend with lots of success. Catching a huge hatch on Sunday night when several of us hooked into some enormous rainbows and browns. This included our cousin who Bill just tought to cast only the day before. I personally cought a big brown Sunday morning when the fog was still out on the water. I have thought about that moment every day in my cubical since and I just can't wait to go back in the fall! I want to thank John, Amanda and Bill for taking such great care of us. I would recommend Elk Springs to anyone who loves fishing, wants to learn to fly fish or just wants to relax in the mountains.

Best Regards,
Brian Swingle
(Jersey Boys)

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Nothing, Everything was awesome!
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Richmond
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2007

I didn't stay at Elk Springs, but I brought my 4 year old son there for the first fly fishing experience for the both of us. John was our guide and he was wonderful. My boy had a great time. I took my whole family and some friends back another time. And everyone had a great time. Others we met there said the lodge was great.

• Stayed May 2007
Belle, West Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2007

If you want to get away from it all and revive your soul...you NEED to stay here. Our hosts were like old buddies that you haven't seen in ten years, but have wanted to catch up with.

The bait shop / bar / restaurant was a "one-of-a-kind" experience in itself, with good food and fun. If you're lucky, you will stop by on the right night and hear some good music- played by some of the local friends.

We stayed in the soaring lodge. HUGE and nice is the best way to describe it. Every detail of the interior was thought out for providing guests pure enjoyment. Calming, soothing, comfortable. Take the feeling that you have when you go back and stay with your mom and dad and throw in an upscale edge. The hardwood floors are magnificent; as well as the furniture and decor. Everything is an eclectic mix that you would have never thought of or put together yourself, but you LOVE when you experience it. Our room was the Safari Suite, and it was perfect. Nice layout, very roomy and VERY NICE.

If you fish you will explode here with pure enjoyment. The trout are EVERYWHERE and they are HUGE. If you don't have any tack or you don't want to bring yours...you won't have to. If you've never fly-fished before, the host will gladly teach you. Speaking of our hosts again, these folks are so engrossed in wanting to make you comfortable that it's unbelievable. They wouldn't take my money to pay for ANYTHING until it was time to leave. UNREAL.

If you have a weekend that you want to use for self-renewal...use it wisely. Stay here. It's worth DOUBLE what we paid.

Stayed January 2007
Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2007

What can you say about something so breathtaking with all the natural beauty that surrounds this place, plus the warmth you receive from John and Marica as you step into this place. My boyfriend James and me has been there 3 times so far and the place keeps calling us back to it. Everytime we arrive Marica and John welcome us with open arms, they have become part of a family to us. The service you will receive from this place is like something you have dreamed about but havent felt it until you get here. The flyfishing is awsome at this place you can surely be sure you will catch some fish , but what gets me about it is all the warmth and beauty that is held here by not only nature but the people . So if you want to have the feeling of going back home then this is the place for you , It has so much to offer from flyfishing , to skiing which is only 13 miles away ,to just relaxing and enjoying their company or begin romantic with your other half , this is surely the place you will find it all. Thank you Marcia and John for making us part of your family. See you all again soon I know in May for sure .

Stayed January 2007
VIrginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2007

We had a great time in one of their log cabins. Spent a day on a guided fly fishing tour with one of the managers, John, had a fantastic time, and even though the fish weren't interested we still managed to catch a few. He was more than happy to get us started the day before, and spend a few hours with us to teach us the basics too. The cabins were clean, well-kept and very roomy with everything you could need to enjoy the stay, not to mention the river ran right past our cabin. We couldnt have asked for a better location. The managers were extremely friendly and made our stay very enjoyable. Great food and even better company. They have a great set up for trout fishing with creeks for beginners and rivers for the more advanced. Plus for those not fishing the managers are more than happy to help you out with nearby trails and other attractions (snowshoe mountian nearby). We have booked to go back again in april and are counting down the days.

• Liked — the location
  • Disliked — nothing it was great
  • Tips/Secrets — make sure you book a fly fishing tour - you will have a great time and great memories
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Elk Springs Resort? Share your experiences!