“Great Spot Close To Snowshoe” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Elk Springs Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Monterville
Elk Springs Resort
#14 A Dry Branch Resort, Monterville, WV 26282   |
Ranked #1 of 1 hotels in Monterville
Long Bottom, Ohio
“Great Spot Close To Snowshoe”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

Stayed here while on a ATV riding trip with my son and his friends who have a camp just down the river. I've visited this lodge a couple times in the past when in the area. So when I wanted a nice place with hot water and WiFi on this trip, figured I would give it a try. Well worth the drive back in the woods to find it. Warm spacious rooms in the main lodge, satellite TV, internet, pool table, kitchen, and much more. Restaurant and bar on property. As far as the fishing, couldn't tell ya, was a great place to make base camp for a few days of riding in the hills. Will probably stay here if skiing too, if you don't mind the didn't a short drive off the mountain. Very affordable and clean. Would have given 5 stars but don't want it to be booked up next time I call....

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

40 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Olive Hill, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

We stayed at the lodge which was quite breathtaking. Our room was large with a sitting area. The bathroom had a jacuzzi tab and washer and dryer. We were very comfortable and frankly hated to leave when our time there was over. The restaurant served up the most delicious rainbow trout ever.

Room Tip: The Safari Room is beautiful. Perfect for a couples retreat!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Acworth, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

Stayed at the Elk Springs Resort for two nights with my husband, young son and parents. My husband and father were the fly fishermen. My husband had never been fly fishing before and is now hooked! He and my father went out all day with one of the guides, Dave, and had a great time. They caught several trout.

We stayed in a cabin, very clean and newly built. We also ate our meals at the restaurant, Ellie May's Old Mill Restaurant. They have an optional meal plan available for $35 per person for breakfast, lunch and dinner. This is a great value in my opinion. There is also a top notch fly shop upstairs from the restaurant. The staff there are very friendly and accomodating as well.

I'm originally from WV but have been living in GA for 10+ years and miss the mountains and changing of the leaves. The property is beautiful! We plan on making this an annual family trip! They also have stocked ponds where you can fish for trout and keep them. They charge $3 and/or $5 per pound for the trout.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012 via mobile

While on vacation in West Virginia our family stopped by the fishing lodge to fly fish and do a little hiking. Getting to the lodge is a drive but worth every mile. The staff was excellent and very accommodating going out of their way to make our two kids have a great time. The kids fished in the ponds in the evening, even my six year old daughter caught rainbow trout. The next morning my son and I went fishing with our guide Dave. We caught plenty of fish and Dave constantly put us in casting distance of huge trout. Our family had a great time and the kids talked about the fishing trip the entire way home.

• Stayed August 2012
Bridgeport, West Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

Had the pleasure of spending 3 nights and days at Elk Springs with wounded warriors. The staff went out of their way to accomodate the Warriors and assure their fishing experience was awesome. Many smiles on the warriors faces, and all said they wish to return. beautiful lodges cabins, great fishing, food and cabins.

Room Tip: cabins by the water are secluded, shaded and very nice
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
King George, Virginia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

I have stayed here a couple times now. The new restaurant/fly shop is TOP NOTCH! The staff is very helpful and want to make sure your stay is very comfortable and enjoyable. I will continue to return as long as I can. I have stayed in the Fishing Room in the lodge and in a couple of the cabins. The Lodge is wonderful. I go with a large group a couple times a year and I have heard not one compliant from anyone that comes. This is the place to go to if you just want to sit back and relax, fish, read a book, or just enjoy the mountain side.

Room Tip: If you want new or an updated setting choose a room in the lodge. The cabins are fine though if you...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

My wife and I Just got back from a great 3 day getaway to WV to try out a new Fishing Lodge called Elk Springs Resort. We actually heard about this place from Fly Rod Chronicles on the Fishing Channel. Nothing but great things to say about this place..from the Restaurant, to the lodging, to the best trout fishing on the east coast in the continental USA within a 6 hour drive of Washington DC. First, the Elk River...this river is full of Trout year round because the head of the Elk river emerges from the ground here on the private waters of the resort and always stays wel below 60 degrees. Elk Springs resort also sports a pay pound for those that dont like wading. You pay $3 per popund of their stocked trout pond. They also hatch their won trout. You may also pay for the priviledge of fly fishing from some of the largest trout you may have ever seen. There are Brown , Brook and Rainbow trout of up to 6 plus pounds in their ponds, and raceways at Elk Springs Resort.It was frigid water in the latter part of July. With the air temps being in the 80s I thought I would wet wade in the river to fly fish, but as soon as my feet got wet, I changed my mind immediately. The fishing was challenging, but I am a newbie fly fisherman, so I didn't expent to land anything on the first try. I did get several strikes however.

Now the Lodging...We were quite impressed by the spaciousness, and raw beauty of the lodge, as well as the other cabins. If you can, try and get the Sea Suite. It is my favorite room in the Lodge. It was huge...but, check out the other rooms in the lodge, as there are not really a single bad room in the place. There are several other cabins also for rent if you want to have more privacy, as the lodge has a shared greatroom. We lucked out when we rented our room on Friday night, and had the whole lodge to ourselves. Take a look at the lodge pics on the website.www.elkspringsresort.com and you will see why we were so excited to have the whole lodge to ourselves for only $150.00 per night.

The Restaurant...Ellie May's Ole Mill Restaurant is a short walk from the Lodge and the cabins and has great meal options. They also offer a meal plan for guests for B,L,D for only $35 pp per day. Trout features prominently on their menu, and is highly recommended. Fried trout sandwiched for lunch are winners as are the pan fried trout for dinner. They also offer a well stocked bar with reasonable draft beer and mixed drink prices.

The Fly Shop...Upstairs from the Restaurant is the Fly Shop, which stocks everything you need to fly fish. They also offer guided trips to help newbies like me learn to fly fish. I recommend prior reservations to ensure you can get a trip booked. If you wait until the day of your visit, there may not be any available guides, especially in May-June.

All in all, this is one great getaway that will please even the most discerning traveller. Good luck catching the biggens!

Room Tip: Stay in the Lodge if possible.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Elk Springs Resort? Share your experiences!