“Fantastic Fly Fishing Getaway near Snow Shoe, WV..Great Lodge” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Elk Springs Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Monterville
Elk Springs Resort
You added Elk Springs Resort to your Saves list
#14 A Dry Branch Resort, Monterville, WV 26282   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Monterville
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Fantastic Fly Fishing Getaway near Snow Shoe, WV..Great Lodge”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

My wife and I Just got back from a great 3 day getaway to WV to try out a new Fishing Lodge called Elk Springs Resort. We actually heard about this place from Fly Rod Chronicles on the Fishing Channel. Nothing but great things to say about this place..from the Restaurant, to the lodging, to the best trout fishing on the east coast in the continental USA within a 6 hour drive of Washington DC. First, the Elk River...this river is full of Trout year round because the head of the Elk river emerges from the ground here on the private waters of the resort and always stays wel below 60 degrees. Elk Springs resort also sports a pay pound for those that dont like wading. You pay $3 per popund of their stocked trout pond. They also hatch their won trout. You may also pay for the priviledge of fly fishing from some of the largest trout you may have ever seen. There are Brown , Brook and Rainbow trout of up to 6 plus pounds in their ponds, and raceways at Elk Springs Resort.It was frigid water in the latter part of July. With the air temps being in the 80s I thought I would wet wade in the river to fly fish, but as soon as my feet got wet, I changed my mind immediately. The fishing was challenging, but I am a newbie fly fisherman, so I didn't expent to land anything on the first try. I did get several strikes however.

Now the Lodging...We were quite impressed by the spaciousness, and raw beauty of the lodge, as well as the other cabins. If you can, try and get the Sea Suite. It is my favorite room in the Lodge. It was huge...but, check out the other rooms in the lodge, as there are not really a single bad room in the place. There are several other cabins also for rent if you want to have more privacy, as the lodge has a shared greatroom. We lucked out when we rented our room on Friday night, and had the whole lodge to ourselves. Take a look at the lodge pics on the website.www.elkspringsresort.com and you will see why we were so excited to have the whole lodge to ourselves for only $150.00 per night.

The Restaurant...Ellie May's Ole Mill Restaurant is a short walk from the Lodge and the cabins and has great meal options. They also offer a meal plan for guests for B,L,D for only $35 pp per day. Trout features prominently on their menu, and is highly recommended. Fried trout sandwiched for lunch are winners as are the pan fried trout for dinner. They also offer a well stocked bar with reasonable draft beer and mixed drink prices.

The Fly Shop...Upstairs from the Restaurant is the Fly Shop, which stocks everything you need to fly fish. They also offer guided trips to help newbies like me learn to fly fish. I recommend prior reservations to ensure you can get a trip booked. If you wait until the day of your visit, there may not be any available guides, especially in May-June.

All in all, this is one great getaway that will please even the most discerning traveller. Good luck catching the biggens!

Room Tip: Stay in the Lodge if possible.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
King George, Virginia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

we had a group of about 20 people and the staff went out of there way to accomidate our party they went above and beyond by extending resturant/bar hours and even shipping our forgotten items free of charge .Service like this is hard to find . we had a blast The mountains and streams are amazing we would highly recommend the resort

Room Tip: cabins feel like home
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Wooster
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

My good friend and I spent 2 days at a combined continuing education course combining dental education with learning to fly fish. I had never done fly fishing before and so we hired a guide named Bill. Early on he asked us to define what we wanted and we told him " show us the basics". Bill is combination philospher and fly fishing guide. Cannot think of a better teacher. There was no rush, he helped us get "our feet wet",got us started in learning to cast, taught us some of the many tips of fly fishing, and motivated us with his enthusiasm for the sport and in short made our stay a great experience and one we will likely repeat.
All of our 15 attendees were super impressed with any guide that they engaged so I don't think you can go wrong with any guide. I would highly encourage engaging a guide to get you started right unless you are really proficient. A guide gets you started on the right foot.
The accomodations at the Lodge with outstanding. If there were problems before they have been solved. Beautifully designed rustic environments with all the amenities. First class furnishings and environment.
Chad in the Fly Shop deserves special recognition because he does whatever is necessary to make your trip "work". Could not have had better customer service. He rented us equipment, made it work, corrected any malfunctions, and all with a "what can I do to make your stay better" attitude. Chad is definitely an asset to this Resort and a wealth of knowledge as well. He runs a great Fly Shop.
In short, this is a great place to relax, get away from it all, learn a new skill, practice an old skill if you already know how to fly fish, and even get some continuing education in a fantastic setting.
Did I mention we had a great time?
Cannot recommend this resort enough. Don't expect to go shopping nearby or be entertained but if you are content to entertain yourself, learn some things, and just relax, this could be the place.
Sounds like I work for them. I do not. I am a dentist from Ohio who needed to recharge my batteries and that is exactly what happened.

Room Tip: The Lodge was fantastic with balconies. HUGE meeting room to chat, learn, read a book,etc. Did not s...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Hocking Hills, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2011

The setting here is absolutley beautiful. The staff is very freindly and helpful. We stayed in the Hippie Cabin. The cabin was clean and adequate but needs some TLC. All-in-all we really had a good time and would like to stay again; perhaps in the spring when the fishing is at its best.

Room Tip: If you've never fished the Elk River before, I would highly recomend springing for a guide for a...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Raleigh, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2011

My wife, our little dog Guinness, and I just spent 4 nights camping in the campgrounds at the resort. It was nice because we had the entire campground to ourselves and the weather was perfect. My wife spent a lot of time in the hammock we brought, reading. The bonus for us was that Loretta and VA, who work there, were always around the restaurant and fly shop area, and we had breakfast there two mornings and lunch there once. We cooked at the campsite most of the 4 days we were there, but it was convenient to go over and get a hot breakfast. With just a little work, the campgrounds would be very comfortable and spacious.

The fish hatchery was beautiful as well as the grounds of the resort. The setting was like being on a movie set it was so pretty. It was very remote and a wonderful escape.

I went fishing with Dave Breitmeier, the local guide, and had a great day. Dave knows this river like no one else and is one of the best guides I have used. We caught fish in almost every place we stopped, but the best was a 17" brown caught on a wet "puff daddy". Ask Dave about that one! I learned a lot from Dave and he is a great guide.

We toured the resort and the grounds, and this is going to be quite a place. We were there during the week and pretty much had the place to ourselves, but it is busy on the weekends. When the word gets out, I expect this resort will be very busy. I know it will be busy during the spring fly fishing season.

The river and mountains are beautiful, the trout challenging, and the staff is very hospitable. We had a relaxing trip in a beautiful part of the country we had not visited.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Harrisonburg, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2010

First, let me say that I am a beach girl through and through. I only went on a weekend trip to Elk Springs because my husband and father-in-law had already planned a weekend of fly-fishing and invited everyone (mother-in-law, me and two kids - ages 6 and 2) to come.
We stayed in a cabin on it's own little island. It was fantastic! The scenery was beautiful, the sound of the water was relaxing and the employees were SUPER friendly! My children and I were all over the place - looking for salamanders, weird mushrooms, crayfish, tiny fish, etc. We spent hours enjoying nature while "the men" fished.
You can buy food to feed the fish in the fly-shop - you can only feed the fish in a specific area - and they are HUGE! The kids had a blast doing that. I'm sure those fish ate more during that weekend than they did all month! =)
There are also stocked ponds that you can fish in, you have to keep what you catch but you don't have to use a fly rod. My 2 year old caught some really huge trout on her Barbie fishing rod! (I may have also caught some using the Barbie rod...) lol.
I did get to put my waders on and hang out with my husband during one of his fishing outings. The water was beautiful - there is no trash anywhere! I spent more time looking at the flowers and butterflies and other critters than paying attention to him fishing - but I really enjoyed being able to walk along with him while he did his thing.
I saw another review that mentioned dirty conditions and dead bugs everywhere... I did not see any of that. I don't remember seeing any dead bugs or live ones for that matter inside our cabin or the lodge (we went up there to watch tv and play). Also, our cabin was super clean. I have zero complaints about our stay and would go back anytime!
Oddly enough, my husband, father-in-law, sister-in-law and a few others are there right now. They said the fishing's great, there's snow on the ground and they have a campfire roaring!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
St. Louis, Mo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2010

We LOVED Elk Springs Resort!
After planning a family road trip to DC (with a 15 & 11-yr old), I was looking for a place where I could relax and the family could fish for a few days. I happened upon the Elk Springs website and thought we’d give it a shot.
What a surprise! Elk Springs is literally in the middle of nowhere- at least a solid hour of driving country mountain roads up through the clouds and beautiful scenery! (Caution: Closely follow the directions the resort provides. Our navigation system almost sent us off the side of the mountain, and the roads are poorly marked.)

LODGING- We stayed in the Broadwater Lodge- a beautiful log building with a huge, shared great room that had a television, satellite, pool table, and several sofas and dining tables. There are two large suites upstairs, and four regular rooms downstairs. We were the only guests during our stay, so we had the entire lodge to ourselves, but I can imagine the massive community area would still be comfortable at full capacity.
The four of us were more than comfortable sharing the Western Room downstairs. Our room had a comfy queen bed, a pullout for the kids, a large bathroom with a Jacuzzi tub, a small refrigerator w/freezer, a microwave, and a television with satellite. Despite a previous review, the lodge and our room smelled clean and fresh- not musty, like you’d expect in the mountains. I did not see ONE bug (dead or alive) inside during our entire stay. The linens were soft and comfortable. We had plenty of towels and pillows. There’s even a brand new washer and dryer next to the kitchen, (which came in very handy after a day of fishing). There’s also a huge deck area with plenty of tables, lounge chairs, and places to hang and dry your waders and fishing gear. The resort also has several stand-alone cabins available, but I didn’t have the opportunity to check out their amenities.

DINING- As I said the resort is in the middle of nowhere, so the dining options consist of eating in the fly shop or cooking for yourself in the lodge. We did not eat at the fly shop, but every time we walked in there, it smelled delicious! The menu consisted of typical fishing resort fare and was bit expensive for traveling with the kids- sub sandwich $8.50, Spaghetti dinner $15.00, BBQ chicken $20.00. (You’ll need to make reservations if you plan to eat at the fly shop.) We chose to stop by the grocery store on our way, and cook for ourselves in the lodge. The shared kitchen had a full-size refrigerator, electric stove, dishwasher, and was stocked with just about anything you’d need to cook a simple meal (plates, cups, utensils, baking sheets, etc). There’s also a newer BBQ grill on the deck. We made burgers one night, and grilled our freshly caught trout the next. Wonderful!

FISHING- My family loves to fish, and Elk Springs offers several fishing options. There are stocked ponds about 50 yards from the lodge. If you cast a line in the water, you will hook a fish immediately. You have to keep what you catch and pay $3 per pound. My kids LOVED this!
On the other side of the stocked ponds is the Elk River and adjoining spring fed streams. A fisherman’s dream! You can hire a guide for an hour or day, grab your gear and fish on your own, or drive 5 minutes upstream to find your own sweet spot. Everywhere we were (except the stocked ponds) was catch-and-release fishing, and we used rod and reel. Of the five other people we saw (over the two days), four were fly-fishing. The water was a bit murky because of all of the recent rain, but I can imagine the fishing is excellent in good weather with the shallow, cool water and small rapids. (Think: the movie "A River Runs Through It".)

SCENERY- The entire resort looks like a post card. Everywhere you look, there’s another beautiful, undisturbed view of nature. The streams and riverbanks are clean and pristine. There were flocks of yellow and bright blue butterflies, and tons of wildlife all over the place. I completely understand how the new resort owners fell in love!

STAFF- The fly shop girl, the housekeeper, and the guy who weighed our fish were all incredibly friendly and helpful. (Ack! I didn’t catch any of their names, but they were there if you needed something, and otherwise left you alone.) This was awesome after a week of crowds in DC, and really felt like a home away from home.

To sum up, if Elk Springs Resort wasn’t 800 miles from our house, we would be back every summer. It’s just perfect- for families, couples, and fishing buddies. (CHECK OUT MY 2ND REVIEW FOR MORE PICTURES!)

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family

Been to Elk Springs Resort? Share your experiences!