“A Beautiful Place” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Elk Springs Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Monterville
Elk Springs Resort
Save Saved
You added Elk Springs Resort to your Saves list
#14 A Dry Branch Resort, Monterville, WV 26282   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Monterville
Hocking Hills, Ohio
“A Beautiful Place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2011

The setting here is absolutley beautiful. The staff is very freindly and helpful. We stayed in the Hippie Cabin. The cabin was clean and adequate but needs some TLC. All-in-all we really had a good time and would like to stay again; perhaps in the spring when the fishing is at its best.

Room Tip: If you've never fished the Elk River before, I would highly recomend springing for a guide for a...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Raleigh, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2011

My wife, our little dog Guinness, and I just spent 4 nights camping in the campgrounds at the resort. It was nice because we had the entire campground to ourselves and the weather was perfect. My wife spent a lot of time in the hammock we brought, reading. The bonus for us was that Loretta and VA, who work there, were always around the restaurant and fly shop area, and we had breakfast there two mornings and lunch there once. We cooked at the campsite most of the 4 days we were there, but it was convenient to go over and get a hot breakfast. With just a little work, the campgrounds would be very comfortable and spacious.

The fish hatchery was beautiful as well as the grounds of the resort. The setting was like being on a movie set it was so pretty. It was very remote and a wonderful escape.

I went fishing with Dave Breitmeier, the local guide, and had a great day. Dave knows this river like no one else and is one of the best guides I have used. We caught fish in almost every place we stopped, but the best was a 17" brown caught on a wet "puff daddy". Ask Dave about that one! I learned a lot from Dave and he is a great guide.

We toured the resort and the grounds, and this is going to be quite a place. We were there during the week and pretty much had the place to ourselves, but it is busy on the weekends. When the word gets out, I expect this resort will be very busy. I know it will be busy during the spring fly fishing season.

The river and mountains are beautiful, the trout challenging, and the staff is very hospitable. We had a relaxing trip in a beautiful part of the country we had not visited.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Harrisonburg, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2010

First, let me say that I am a beach girl through and through. I only went on a weekend trip to Elk Springs because my husband and father-in-law had already planned a weekend of fly-fishing and invited everyone (mother-in-law, me and two kids - ages 6 and 2) to come.
We stayed in a cabin on it's own little island. It was fantastic! The scenery was beautiful, the sound of the water was relaxing and the employees were SUPER friendly! My children and I were all over the place - looking for salamanders, weird mushrooms, crayfish, tiny fish, etc. We spent hours enjoying nature while "the men" fished.
You can buy food to feed the fish in the fly-shop - you can only feed the fish in a specific area - and they are HUGE! The kids had a blast doing that. I'm sure those fish ate more during that weekend than they did all month! =)
There are also stocked ponds that you can fish in, you have to keep what you catch but you don't have to use a fly rod. My 2 year old caught some really huge trout on her Barbie fishing rod! (I may have also caught some using the Barbie rod...) lol.
I did get to put my waders on and hang out with my husband during one of his fishing outings. The water was beautiful - there is no trash anywhere! I spent more time looking at the flowers and butterflies and other critters than paying attention to him fishing - but I really enjoyed being able to walk along with him while he did his thing.
I saw another review that mentioned dirty conditions and dead bugs everywhere... I did not see any of that. I don't remember seeing any dead bugs or live ones for that matter inside our cabin or the lodge (we went up there to watch tv and play). Also, our cabin was super clean. I have zero complaints about our stay and would go back anytime!
Oddly enough, my husband, father-in-law, sister-in-law and a few others are there right now. They said the fishing's great, there's snow on the ground and they have a campfire roaring!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
St. Louis, Mo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2010

We LOVED Elk Springs Resort!
After planning a family road trip to DC (with a 15 & 11-yr old), I was looking for a place where I could relax and the family could fish for a few days. I happened upon the Elk Springs website and thought we’d give it a shot.
What a surprise! Elk Springs is literally in the middle of nowhere- at least a solid hour of driving country mountain roads up through the clouds and beautiful scenery! (Caution: Closely follow the directions the resort provides. Our navigation system almost sent us off the side of the mountain, and the roads are poorly marked.)

LODGING- We stayed in the Broadwater Lodge- a beautiful log building with a huge, shared great room that had a television, satellite, pool table, and several sofas and dining tables. There are two large suites upstairs, and four regular rooms downstairs. We were the only guests during our stay, so we had the entire lodge to ourselves, but I can imagine the massive community area would still be comfortable at full capacity.
The four of us were more than comfortable sharing the Western Room downstairs. Our room had a comfy queen bed, a pullout for the kids, a large bathroom with a Jacuzzi tub, a small refrigerator w/freezer, a microwave, and a television with satellite. Despite a previous review, the lodge and our room smelled clean and fresh- not musty, like you’d expect in the mountains. I did not see ONE bug (dead or alive) inside during our entire stay. The linens were soft and comfortable. We had plenty of towels and pillows. There’s even a brand new washer and dryer next to the kitchen, (which came in very handy after a day of fishing). There’s also a huge deck area with plenty of tables, lounge chairs, and places to hang and dry your waders and fishing gear. The resort also has several stand-alone cabins available, but I didn’t have the opportunity to check out their amenities.

DINING- As I said the resort is in the middle of nowhere, so the dining options consist of eating in the fly shop or cooking for yourself in the lodge. We did not eat at the fly shop, but every time we walked in there, it smelled delicious! The menu consisted of typical fishing resort fare and was bit expensive for traveling with the kids- sub sandwich $8.50, Spaghetti dinner $15.00, BBQ chicken $20.00. (You’ll need to make reservations if you plan to eat at the fly shop.) We chose to stop by the grocery store on our way, and cook for ourselves in the lodge. The shared kitchen had a full-size refrigerator, electric stove, dishwasher, and was stocked with just about anything you’d need to cook a simple meal (plates, cups, utensils, baking sheets, etc). There’s also a newer BBQ grill on the deck. We made burgers one night, and grilled our freshly caught trout the next. Wonderful!

FISHING- My family loves to fish, and Elk Springs offers several fishing options. There are stocked ponds about 50 yards from the lodge. If you cast a line in the water, you will hook a fish immediately. You have to keep what you catch and pay $3 per pound. My kids LOVED this!
On the other side of the stocked ponds is the Elk River and adjoining spring fed streams. A fisherman’s dream! You can hire a guide for an hour or day, grab your gear and fish on your own, or drive 5 minutes upstream to find your own sweet spot. Everywhere we were (except the stocked ponds) was catch-and-release fishing, and we used rod and reel. Of the five other people we saw (over the two days), four were fly-fishing. The water was a bit murky because of all of the recent rain, but I can imagine the fishing is excellent in good weather with the shallow, cool water and small rapids. (Think: the movie "A River Runs Through It".)

SCENERY- The entire resort looks like a post card. Everywhere you look, there’s another beautiful, undisturbed view of nature. The streams and riverbanks are clean and pristine. There were flocks of yellow and bright blue butterflies, and tons of wildlife all over the place. I completely understand how the new resort owners fell in love!

STAFF- The fly shop girl, the housekeeper, and the guy who weighed our fish were all incredibly friendly and helpful. (Ack! I didn’t catch any of their names, but they were there if you needed something, and otherwise left you alone.) This was awesome after a week of crowds in DC, and really felt like a home away from home.

To sum up, if Elk Springs Resort wasn’t 800 miles from our house, we would be back every summer. It’s just perfect- for families, couples, and fishing buddies. (CHECK OUT MY 2ND REVIEW FOR MORE PICTURES!)

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Columbus, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2010

We have stayed at Elk Springs more than 12 times in the past year, including Oct. when there was a problem with flies. THe color of the building causes the flies to come to lay eggs in the pitched roof, so the problem was in the upstairs rooms.
We have always enjoyed our stay. The staff is great! The fishing is great!. It is nice to just relax (I don't fish) and it would make a great yoga retreat. It is so quiet you can hear the river flowing day and night. The price is reasonable. There is tv in the lodge and some of the rooms, but who wants tv? I like the quiet. There is shopping and a Branson show in nearby Elkins. The Petry's. Ohio

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Boston, MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2009

First, I must say that this is the first time I've ever reviewed anything online. I felt so strongly about this place it was the first thing I wanted to do when I got home!

My father and I stumbled upon this gem on the internet and made a reservation in the lodge for a weekend father-daughter fishing getaway. We had an incredible experience and can't wait to go back next year!

The lodge seemed brand new, with a beautifully finished wood interior, spacious well kept rooms and a nice, deep bathtub jacuzzi in each room. We didn't see any bugs inside at all. They had a nice kitchen there in the lodge you could use, satellite TV and the managers said they are working on getting wireless up there. Overall, the lodge made me feel very luxurious but amidst a rustic atmosphere; we were suprised to find such a nice facility so far away from main towns and roads!

The fishing at Elk Springs was beyond excellent. I caught 8 fish in a 24 hour period, and I'm totally a beginner! You could see all these huge trout just laying there in the water, and they haven't been stocked in over 50 years. My dad had never seen anything quite like it and he's fished all over the world. The fishing there is apparently just as good year round because the water flows right out from underground limestone caves where the temperature is always the same and the alkali environment is good for the fish. They have 2 miles of stream, and we found that the farther we got away from the lodge, the easier the fish were to catch, but that might have just been our experience.

What really made our experience at Elk Springs stand out was the genuine and kind folks that run the place. As well as the other staff we found Amanda and John (managers), and Dave (guide) to be endlessly helpful, flexible and welcoming. It was clear that they really love what they do, and it shows in how they take care of guests. Dave and John were gave us lots of great advice on the fishing, Amanda entertained us with stories over home cooked meals and gladly answered all of our questions about the region. I really felt comfortable and cared for amid their hospitality, and appreciated how they really took the time to get to know us.

• Stayed November 2009
West Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2009

Freedom of speech is a wonderful luxury to be used by all US citizens, unfortunately it is also abused with blowing situations out of proportion. As I remember, the folks that sent in a bad review of Elk Springs Resort arrived to find some bugs around the lodge, yet they did not state in thier review that they were offered a room downstairs where there was absolutely NO BUGS, but maybe in thier minds "bigger was better", bigger bed, bigger room, bigger tub. As part of the "cleaning crew", that lodge was fully cleaned/disinfected and was inspected earlier that day. This resort is located in the middle of nature/woods/wildlife..that means with the beauty comes pests whether its bugs or mice. If those of you are looking for perfection I'd suggest finding a 5 star hotel in a big dirty city instead of a backwoods resort with clean air and plenty of hospitality.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business

Been to Elk Springs Resort? Share your experiences!