“Vegetarian” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 129 restaurants in Martinsburg
Cuisines: Vegetarian
Good for: Local cuisine, Outdoor seating
Description: Good Natured Market and Vegetarian Cafe:In 1930, my grandfather, Emmett Wilbarger, built and ran a small gas station just outside of Bridgewater, Virginia. He sold farm fresh eggs, crates of cheese and locally made potato chips. With the advent of franchise driven stores, the independent gas station became a thing of the past. I guess I must have subconsciously missed that old store. With that in mind, Good Natured came into being. Jim and I opened our store in October of 2007. Our original intent was to become the neighborhood general store, specializing in eco-friendly products. In reality, today's "eco-friendly" really looks a lot like the things that my family sold - local, simple and well made. Over the past five years, I've come to realize that food is the driving force here at Good Natured, from the groceries and produce we sell to the homemade soups, sandwiches and desserts prepared in the cafe. Our beautiful old Victorian house is filled with good stuff for your house. We carry a little of everything....garden seeds, water filters, sandals, homeopathics, vitamins, key chains, toothbrushes, shampoos, essential oils, candles, incense, towels, socks, t-shirts, jazz, blues, reggae, folk & alternative rock CDs, water bottles, sprouting seeds, chocolates, organic coffee, bulk herbs, grains, beans, flours, local milk and eggs. If you are traveling it's a great spot for an extended break. Shop and then enjoy our "own" vegetarian burgers, a refreshing chai or our new Banana Chocolate Lava Cake. Everything is "made from scratch". We make the best grilled cheese, summer tart and vegetarian reuben in West Virginia....or so I'm told. We serve local beer and wine. (Gluten-free and Vegan) On some Saturdays we're open later as we welcome local bands and musicians from far away. It will be time well spent!
Martinsburg, West Virginia
“Vegetarian”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

Quaint place with a lot to offer if you are into a more natural/vegetarian life style. Will def be going back.

Visited August 2012

100% Recommend
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Best Kept Secret in Town!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

What a wonderful shop and restaurant in this small town. The folks are super friendly and helpful. Loved the big front porch that you can sit on and enjoy your meal. The veggie BLT sandwich was extremely delicious along with the fresh salad. Would visit this place again and again!

• Visited September 2012
Hedgesville, WV
“A West Coast Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2012

When I walked in the door, I felt as if I had been transported 3000 miles across the US. There are lots of these fabulous little restaurants in California and Oregon, but very few of them here in West Virginia. The food is plate-licking good. My friend and I had the best veggie burgers ever, and a salad that was almost too pretty to eat. Dessert was a spice cake that had been slightly warmed to bring out the taste. The entire meal was perfection, and the service was cheerful and attentive. The restaurant is attached to a small general store that has all kinds of interesting things, from herbs to socks to music. It appears that business is good, but not many people know about it. I think it's the best kept secret in town.

• Visited May 2012
Martinsburg, West Virginia
“FINALLY!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 29, 2012

I'm so tickled that there is a surviving, thriving, EXCELLENT local vegetarian place in Martinsburg! Nice contrast to the fast food and chain options. Set in Food is super yummy and the staff is always friendly. Take your veggy skeptics here and show them what food is meant to taste like. Price is average for fresh, hand prepared, local food. I could eat their salad and their specials EVERY DAY! I like to shop for organic, vegan, and environmentally items in their shop, too!

• Visited February 2012
Luvtravels33
“Nice vegetarian cuisine”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2012

We first enjoyed Good Natured in March 2011 when we celebrated the closing on our first home. Our most recent visit was to celebrate our 15-year wedding anniversary. The restaurant has several, varied options for vegetarians - on our last trip, the four of us had: (1) a vegetarian ruben sandwich; (2) macaroni and cheese (two of us opted for this special); and (3) noodles with peanut sauce. Everything was quite tasty. The desserts were also excellent, including pumpkin cheesecake, fruitcake, and chocolate cake. Of course they have a wide selection of beverages, including teas, and you can pick some up from the shop to take home after you dine. An excellent find for vegetarians.

• Visited December 2011