“A very pleasant surprise” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in Martinsburg
NY State
“A very pleasant surprise”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

My grandmother and I travelled to the area to visit family and having never been to WV we weren't sure what to expect, coming from the New York City area. What we found was a hotel (and staff) that would run circles around anything in our area. Talking to my husband back home on the first night I told him the hotel couldn't be more than a year old (my grandmother thought 6 months). The next day I asked at the front desk and we oouldn't believe the answer: the building has been around for ages but the inside was remodeled 6 YEARS ago. The very friendly hotel staff has kept this hotel looking spotless. Speaking with one of the maintenance guys when I was leaving (he came into the room to change the air filter) he mentioned the owner believes in scheduled maintenance checks (things like door knobs, draw pulls) and changing items like air filters on a regular basis to prevent problems, not waiting to address a problem reported by a guest. Well, it shows. Would definitely stay here again.

Only drawbacks- no "convenience" store in lobby to purchase a snack or drinks like juice and milk. Just vending machines with soda/water on 2 of the floors. A/C system a little confusing to figure out.

Room Tip: Long hallways so if traveling with someone elderly, request a room closer to the elevator. Also, if...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
HolidayInnMRBWV, Manager at Holiday Inn Martinsburg, responded to this review, July 29, 2014
@ChristinaA214: Thank you for recently choosing to stay at the Holiday Inn - Martinsburg. We appreciate your feedback and are thrilled that we were able to surprise you with our facility and service. Thank you for spreading the kind words about the Holiday Inn - Martinsburg! We look forward to seeing you the next time you travel to Martinsburg, WV!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

This is an interesting hotel - as noted on another review the building seems updated but the carpet and many furnishings seem well used. It is located near a highway but that also means there are other businesses conveniently nearby - Walmart, Outback, Cracker Barrel, Buffalo Wild Wings, Chick-Fil-A, Arby's, gas, coffee, etc.

Breakfast buffet was cheap and made to order was available. I didn't try the other meals in the restaurant.

The room was clean and the bed was comfortable.

My only complaint would be the in room air-conditioner unit. It was in what appears to be a closet/storage space in the room. It was really loud but did the job.

Everybody that worked at this location was polite and friendly. In talking with a few of the them I learned that they are either students or working two jobs.

I would stay again.

Stayed July 2014
@Rafen: Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review for the Holiday Inn - Martinsburg. We appreciate your kind words about the staff and our facility. We also appreciate the feedback about the hallway carpet with is on our list to be replaced. We hope that you will join us again the next time you stay in Martinsburg. Have a great rest of your week.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

We stayed here for seven days with a team full of 9/10 year old girls. Staff were great. Laundry facilities were inexpensive. Breakfast each morning was great. They were very accommodating. Would stay here again. Nice group accommodations.

Stayed July 2014
@Kristen B: Thank you so much for your business at the Holiday Inn - Martinsburg. We were thrilled to have your team stay at our location during the tournament nearby. We appreciate you taking the time to tell others about your experience and the kind words you provided. We hope that you will choose us the next time you travel to Martinsburg.

Enjoy the rest of your summer!
Apex, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

This is my number one pick for a hotel stay while traveling the I-81 corridor. It is always quiet, clean & comfortable. The stay here in June was my third this year so far. The staff is most accommodating when you need to stay an extra day or two unexpectedly due to illness or other issues. This happened to my family on our stay in May. All staff from the front desk to the housekeeping dept. were very helpful and checked in with us periodically to see if we needed any further assistance.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
@charolette I: Thank you for staying at the Holiday Inn - Martinsburg during your travels again this month. We appreciate your loyalty to our hotel and look forward to seeing you again many times in the future. Thank you for your kind words about the Holiday Inn - Martinsburg and telling others about your experiences. We hope that you have safe travels and come see us again very soon!
Philly
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014

Never thought a hotel could be accused of being bi-polar. Facility seems to have been renovated in the room area from some prior existing chain. Rooms are all up to date. I say renovated since it appears after rooms were updated, curtains were re-installed and were done incorrectly. Dont need a diploma to figure out how to install a drape, do you?? There's a new portion of the building added out one end with a modern lobby, restaurant and pool. Modern, clean decor. Staff? Hmmm whata mess. Everyone seemed nice enough, for sure, but competent? I called in advance since I noted in reviews and location the proximity to the highway. I asked for a quiet location and spelled that out to the helpful rep - away from the highway, non connecting room. Rep described all rooms as potential for highway noise since the hotel was "parallel" to the road (ahem, they meant perpendicular, but I digress). When I arrived I got exactly what I didnt want (??) a high numbered room (closest to the road) and connecting. So we were changed. See below for room selection advice. Then to check out I wanted to combine credit cards and no one I dealt with was competent enough to manage it, until finally got a manager involved. Location to highway, gas and restaurants for travelers i nice. Not much else to Martinsburg from what I could tell. Total mixed bag, so perhaps you'll have better luck.

Room Tip: lower levels, low numbered 'odd' numbers I would say are your best bet to avoid highway nois...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
HolidayInnMRBWV, Manager at Holiday Inn Martinsburg, responded to this review, July 14, 2014
@HikingTom: Thank you for recently choosing to stay at the Holiday Inn - Martinsburg, WV. We appreciate your feedback and have passed your thoughts along to our desk agents. We have had several transitions with our desk staff lately and are working through getting everyone fully trained. Our entire staff tries to meet as many guest requests as possible, but apologize that your original room was unsatisfactory. I am glad that you were able to relax in your room once on the 3rd floor and appreciate your travel tips to everyone else. We hope that you will join us again in the future so that we may show our improvement. Thank you again for your business!
Citrus Heights, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2014

There are a lot of things that go into picking a hotel to stay at. My personal criteria is simple: a clean room, a roof over my head, a shower, and a bed to sleep in. During a much heated debate on "where to stay" for a massive family exodus (we were traveling to Martinsburg for a wedding of which most of the wedding guests had to travel from California), it was decided that this hotel will be ground zero for the guests of this wedding. We could not have picked a better hotel. The location did happen to be close to the wedding but it was also in a great location within the city. It is close to several food locations, close to the freeway so you can get your "sight seeing" on, and if you really felt like it you could go shopping at the mall that is a stones throw away. The rooms were clean and the service staff was wonderful. Whenever I encountered any of them, they would make sure that I had everything I needed. The little restaurant that was in the hotel was nice and the staff were fun to talk to. I recommend the Sunday Brunch. Its a little more expensive than the standard breakfast and lunch but you get a wider selection of food including fresh made waffles, fried chicken, BBQ ribs and some other nice food assortments that you will have to go there to see for yourself. The room I had was a "2 room suite" which was perfect for my use. I had regular guests (other people attending the wedding) that would stop in and go over various things for the wedding (car pool, rehearsal dinner plans, etc.) and the separate space between my bedroom and this "sitting room" was perfect. I honestly don't know if I will ever have the opportunity to go back East anytime soon, but I do know that I will be staying at this hotel if it is possible.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
HolidayInnMRBWV, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Martinsburg, responded to this review, July 1, 2014
@Britton S: Thank you so much for making the Holiday Inn - Martinaburg a part of the wedding weekend! We are thrilled that you enjoyed the time in our area. Thank you for all of your kind words about the property and the staff. We hope that you will join us again the next time your travels bring you to Martinsburg.

Have a great 4th of July!
Raleigh
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2014

The only 3 star hotel I could find in Martinsburg was the Holiday Inn which they advertise as a quaint, quiet hotel in a small city. It was on I-81 and the noise from the interstate truck traffic was horrific.

My room smelled of musty A/C and the room service food, was, well, enough to keep me up all night.

I guess families traveling on summer vacation can put up with this, but it is anything but a business hotel.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
@Michael R: Thank you for choosing our hotel while traveling to our area. I apologize that your stay was less than satisfactory. Our entire management team reviews each of these surveys so that we can provide better levels of quality and service for our guests. We appreciate you taking the time to share your experiences and alerting us on how we can improve.

Hope you and your family have a great holiday weekend!

Been to Holiday Inn Martinsburg? Share your experiences!