“Refreshing...Relaxing!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 14 hotels in Martinsburg
Charleston, WV
“Refreshing...Relaxing!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2012

This hotel was very nice! The ladies at the front desk were very friendly and helpful! Sandra helped me to plan my groups stay and went out of her way to accomodate myself and the other guests in our group. The rooms are very nice and clean. Beds are very comfortable and they give you a choice of pilllows...soft or firm! Very clean room and facility! Easy access and lots of parking.

My only complaint would be the breakfast buffett. Was expecting more. The eggs were dried out and kind of a funny color. Not much to choose from being that it was supposed to be a buffett.

Overall this was a wonderful place to stay and will definitely be back!!

Room Tip: Traffic is a little noisy towards the front of the hotel, but nothing that kept me awake.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
HI_Martinsburg25401, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Martinsburg, responded to this review, April 4, 2012
Thank you so much for sharing your review! We are so happy that you enjoyed your stay with us - come back to visit soon!

115 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
NE PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2012

We stayed here for two days while visiting the Antietam National Battlefield and Harpers Ferry. It was a convenient location, the room was clean as well as the facility. The check-in was easy and since the hotel was booked (a holiday week-end) we were glad we had reservations and had book on Priceline and got a terrific price. There is a mall and all the chain restaurants nearby.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
HI_Martinsburg25401, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Martinsburg, responded to this review, February 28, 2012
We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us, and sincerely thank you for taking the time to share your positive review!
We hope to have the opportunity to be of service to you again!
Newark, New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2012

Several points to raise. We stayed at this hotel on Saturday, Feb.18, 2012.
(1) This hotel charges for breakfast, despite a price of $130 for a standard room.
(2) Desk attendant misrepresented breakfast buffet to us. When she mentioned the breakfast charges, she immediately assured, "But it's great, We serve fresh doughnuts at our breakfast buffet!" Surprise, surprise! After paying for the buffet, we found there were no fresh doughnuts. The chef who prepared them was only scheduled for lunch. The restaurant also added additional charges for typical breakfast beverages such as coffee served at the table.
(3) As we went to sleep around 10:00, our 3rd floor room was filled by the overwhelming smell of pungent indian food, which was being served in the open, public hallway on the other side of the lobby. While this may be forgivable, we found the last to not be so:
(4) We were all awoken in a dead panic at exactly, 12:00AM on the dot, by a phone call to our room phone. When I answered, I got an automated recording of the main switchboard. I demanded that the desk see whether their wake up service had made the call in error but they did not assume responsibility.

When we attend a mid-grade hotel at such a high price, we expect amenities such as breakfast to be included. Instead, nickle-and-dimecharges were added for a breakfast that was misadvertized by the attendant. Furthermore, there was no account for the auto-call which woke my parents and me in a dead panic and ruined our sleep.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for sharing your review of our hotel. As our breakfast buffet items change daily, we have had a conversation with our front desk staff to not "promise" any one particular item, unless they have been told it will be offered that day - you can be assured, however that when we have a buffet for breakfast, it will always be plentiful, hot, and fresh with a selection of eggs, breakfast meats, side items, fruits, breads and pastries (which may include Danish, muffins, fresh-baked cinnamon rolls, or homemade donuts!).
In regards to the unexpected phone call at midnight, we do offer our sincere apologies. We did not receive any other feedback that night (nor prior nor since), and we do practice routine maintenance and testing on our phone systems to keep them running properly. It is our goal for each and every one one of our guests to enjoy a good night's sleep while away from home, and it is disappointing to us when that doesn't happen for one of our guests.
We are sorry that our hotel didn't meet your expectations, and do encourage you to give us another chance, should your travels bring you this way in the future!
Tomkins Cove, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2012

My family and I had traveled from upstate, NY to GA for Christmas. We had a lovely stay at the Holiday Inn in Bristol, VA (for which I wrote a review). Our stay there was so pleasant that, for the return trip, we wanted to book another pet-friendly Holiday Inn. Since we wanted to do the bulk of the driving the first day, we picked this Holiday Inn, which would leave us with only about 5-6 hours to drive the next day.

We arrived on the evening of December 26, 2011. I had been driving about 11 hours, and my family and I were very tired. When I got to the front desk, there was only one woman taking care of check-ins. A gentleman was in front of me. He was not checking in, just making inquiries regarding prices, and he was taking a very long time, as he had many, many questions. I finally asked if anyone else could check us in, as my disabled husband, daughter and dog were out front in the car, tired and wanting food and sleep. The gentleman moved to the side, politely, and the clerk began the check-in process.

When I asked for a wheelchair, she wondered aloud if it might not be available, and she'd have to check. I found out at this time that she was the SOLE employee on duty that night. She had to get the chair herself, running off with a set of keys to retrieve it, and in the meantime, guests were piling up behind me to check in. My daughter came in, got the chair for my husband, and I took a luggage carrier to the car to unload what we needed, as there was no assistance to be had, very unlike our experience in Bristol, VA. The dog had to wait in the car while we ran around, getting everything.

I asked the clerk, as I passed by the desk with the luggage rack, up until what time we might order room service, as, with our dog, we were unable to go out to a restaurant. I was told that the hotel restaurant was closed, as it was the day AFTER Christmas. I asked about menus in the room, and she said there weren't any - I'd have to call the front desk so she could give me some numbers to call for delivery, but she didn't know if anyone would be delivering that night.

The room was freezing when we opened the door. I called the desk and the clerk said she would have to come up and check the thermostat, but that it would be awhile because, as the only emplyee in the hotel that night, she was very, very busy. I was also told she had no time at that moment to get me any numbers for food delivery and could I call back in 15-20 minutes.

The beds were as hard as a rock and the pillows were horrible and lumpy. We wrapped ourselves up and waited for the desk clerk. I called back and she gave me the only 2 numbers she had - for pizza delivery. No one wanted pizza, but this was our only option, so I called for delivery. We waited another 20 minutes and called the desk again - it was truly freezing - and were told she would try to be up in the next 15 minutes. She did come - about 30 minutes later, and found that the thermostat was set on something called "snowflake," which is a fabulous setting for late December. It took her several minutes to get the heat going. I voiced my displeasure to her, but she had no time to listen - people were waiting for her upstairs. She was not rude, just overworked and stressed out.

The next morning, our car battery was dead. An employee at the hotel, Eric I believe his name was (there was now more than one) was very gracious and immediately gave me a jump. His manner was very pleasant.

I complained the the manager on duty about our stay. He offered his sincere apology and did not charge us. He explained that another person who was supposed to be on duty the night before had called in and did not come to work. I asked him why no replacement was secured, to which he replied "That's a good question."

In no way do I hold the night clerk responsible for the fiasco. She was just one person trying to do everything and I realize it wasn't her fault. However, if you're going to operate a pet-friendly hotel and stay open over the holidays, then management should have had the grace to do so with more than a skeleton crew, as the holidays are a big time for travel. People with pets who cannot go out for a meal and drive long hours should have the option of a restaurant that can deliver a hot meal. If you want to close your restaurant and leave your guests with almost no options for food, don't stay open.

This was an abysmal stay. Next time we visit our family down South, I will be delighted to stay at the Bristol, VA Holiday Inn on the way down, but will never book this hotel again on the way home.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
HI_Martinsburg25401, Manager at Holiday Inn Martinsburg, responded to this review, February 10, 2012
Thank you for writing your review of our hotel - first and foremost, I would like to offer my sincere apologies, and personal assurance that being understaffed is certainly not typical of our hotel. We are delighted that Eric was able to assist you in jump-starting your car, and that we could offer complimentary use of a wheelchair for your stay with us.
We do hope to have the opportunity to serve you in the future, so you may experience the typical hospitality we love to impress upon our guests!
Johnson City, Tennessee
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2011

Located next to I81. Truck noise all night long. lumpy small pillows. uncomfortable bed. relatively expensive.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
Hello! Being conveniently located right off of the interstate has it's definite benefits, but we understand that it can be slightly noisy for light sleepers. Our hotel does have relatively new noise reducing double-pane windows throughout the building, and the majority of the guest rooms face away from the interstate. If you are used to the quiet of the countryside, you may want to request one of our rooms further from the road.
Thank you!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2011

Stayed for 2 nights.. Staff was great, room was great, in good location for shopping, Harpers Ferry, dinner..
We ate breakfast 2 times and it was fresh, hot, and lots of it.
My husband has celiac so he has to watch what he eats and they were helpful with that.
The buffet is 5.25 for breakfast and it is worth it.. eggs,bacon,french toast,pancakes,fruit,cereal.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
HI_Martinsburg25401, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Martinsburg, responded to this review, November 30, 2011
Thank you so much for sharing your positive experience! We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay. We think our new chef is doing an excellent job, and we are happy to hear the guests are enjoying it, too! Our housekeeping staff takes pride in their work, and we are glad that it shows. Thank you again - we look forward to having you stay with us again!
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2011

Expect average rooms some worn furnishings. Bathroom was OK. Carpet could use a good cleaning. The interstate (I-81) runs directly by the hotel, thus there is constant traffic noise and some may find it difficult to sleep, as did I. Internet service is extremely slow, 26 kbps as measured by www.speedtest.net on three occasions during my stay (over three days); this is below dial up speeds. High speed was advertised and needed for my stay. I verified the speed issue with three co-workers prior to informing the staff of the issue. The staff told me that too many people were using the bandwidth and to try again later. I did, until 11:30 pm, issue persisted. My answer, acquire more bandwidth to meet the demand for the advertised amenity. Do not expect to get any work or play done on a computer while staying at this location. Sleeping well is questionable. Avoid if you can.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
HI_Martinsburg25401, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Martinsburg, responded to this review, November 23, 2011
Thank you for your review of our hotel - we are happy to announce that, after a month or so of working with the internet service provider, we have finally gotten to the bottom of what was consuming so much of our bandwidth, and the problem has been corrected. We do care about what our guests have to say, and we appreciate when needs are brought to our attention. Next time you come to stay with us, we know you will be much happier with the internet connectivity, and we hope you will notice the great job the professional carpet cleaning company just completed in all of our guest rooms and public spaces! Thank you again!

Been to Holiday Inn Martinsburg? Share your experiences!