“Worst Hotel Stay in my LIFE!!!” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #4 of 13 Hotels in Martinsburg
Ripley, West Virginia
“Worst Hotel Stay in my LIFE!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

I have been contemplating writing this review for awhile now, so I decided to finally have a go so that other people know to never stay here. I stayed at the Comfort Inn Aikens Center for my best friend's wedding. The couple had set up a block of rooms at a group rate, otherwise I would have stayed at the Holiday Inn or Hampton Inn the next exit up I-81.

We checked in on a Friday and were given a King room on the top floor. When we brought our belongings into the room. It seemed clean enough but seemed worn. However, here is when the craziness started. My finance set down at the desk to check his email and found illegal drugs sitting beside of the lamp. Apparently the last occupants forgot them and housekeeping must have missed them! We flushed them immediately and were afraid the rest of our trip of what else could be hiding in this room.

However, luckily the rest of the stay was pretty uneventful until checkout. The only major issue was that our internet connection was extremely slow. We had such a poor connection that we were unable to watch Netflix or even to check Facebook.

On Sunday morning, we went downstairs to check out around 10:30. The woman working behind the desk was so high on drugs that she was unable to check us out of our room. She was stumbling around, told me that she couldn't remember how to operate the computer, and that it hurt to open her eyes. When she did try and open her eyes, they were extremely red and blood shot. She said she'd get around to it later and would email me my bill. I never received my bill.

I was HIGHLY DISAPPOINTED in this stay and would never stay here again. I recommend the Holiday Inn at Exit 14--the beds are wonderful and the employees are truly excellent. The Hampton Inn at Exit 15 is also very nice. It has been awhile since it is remodeled, but the staff always treats the customers like family and the hotel is still "Hampton" worthy. .

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Phillip B, Assistant General Manager at Comfort Inn Aikens Center, responded to this review, November 16, 2013
MissBWV,

Thank you for alerting us to the issues you encountered during your stay in July 2013.

Our goal is to make our guests feel relaxed and comfortable in a friendly atmosphere. We are terribly disappointed that we did not deliver on this during your stay. Since your stay we have made many changes in our hotel, starting "at the top". We have a new manager with 30+ years of experience in the industry sharing his knowledge and retraining the staff. He is a valuable asset and will certainly bring positive change.

We are also undergoing a major renovation. During this renovation every room will receive new carpet, bedding, mattresses, furniture, fixtures and a newly designed bathroom with our guests comfort in mind. Our lobby area is also receiving a completely new look.

We hope you will visit the hotel again and give us the opportunity to not only meet your expectations but exceed them with our "new" hotel!

Thank you again for your comments and for making us aware of the issues you experienced.

Phillip Betts
Assistant General Manager
Comfort Inn Aikens Center

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

Stayed here two separate nights and had a pleasant and quiet stay. Spacious room and bathroom. The front-desk staff was super friendly. They also accommodated my request for a room on the top floor and put me in the same room when I returned a few days later. Glad there was an elevator, as I had several large bags with me.

Just a couple minor issues: 1) The A/C unit was very noisy. I reported the problem upon checking out after the first night, but didn't see if it was fixed during my second night. 2) The orange juice at breakfast was very watered down and pretty gross.

Bonus: Lots of fresh fruit available both during breakfast and throughout the day.

Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Raleigh, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

Stayed here for a 3-day weekend at the track. Decent place, nice-sized rooms, TV's upgraded to flat-screen and WiFi fast enough to run NetFlix with just a few pauses for buffering.
Furniture was pretty dated, but the room was clean and linens were fresh and appeared recently replaced.
Outside front fascia was being renovated. Entrance area needs to be cleaned up. Wrappers and cig butts blowing around.
Not a bad place for the rate paid. One gripe: Big space under the door let hallway noise in. Covered it with a towel :)

Room Tip: Higher floors probably quieter.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

The Comfort Inn in Martinsburg is a good distance from Harper's Ferry & Charles Town Race Track, which is where we went for entertainment.

The room was spacious and the bed was huge, but the bed felt as if there was a filmy layer on it. We had two rooms for the family and one shower backed up and wouldn't drain properly, but the shower for the other room was fine. There's a microwave and refrigerator which is nice as these are not standard parts of hotels these days. We had a problem with the phone ringing every morning at exactly 5:56 am. I believe there was some sort of alarm system in place, but we didn't realize this until the second night when we were already going to leave.

The service at the front desk was very good. The man who was there at nights was particularly pleasant and helpful with food choices in the area. There's also breakfast in the mornings at the inn.

Overall, good value for the amount of money spent.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Delaware
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

Our room was spacious, clean and the furniture in good condition. There was a large, flat panel TV with good reception and a lot of channels. I liked the bathroom because it was totally closed off from the res of the room and the sink counter was the entire length of the room. The bathroom lighting was great. Only complaint is that didn't have a vent, which I think is needed.

This motel is on a fairly busy highway, near the interstate.I was happily surprised at how quiet it was inside the room. I slept great, due to lack of noise and the comfortable mattress with good quality linens and lots of pillows.

The breakfast was very good. Hot eggs, sausage one day and bacon the next, 3 kinds of fresh fruit, along with the usual pastries, breads, juices, cereals, etc. There was also hard boiled eggs and yogurt. Although the coffee was good, there was no non-dairy creamer, a must IMO.

All employees we spoke with were very nice and knowledgeable. A special Thank You to Barbara at the front desk, who was very helpful in getting us the room we wanted at the right price.

It was nice to have two restaurants very close to the motel.

Room Tip: Martinsburg and Berkley County are great for geocaching.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Oxford, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013 via mobile

Coming back from North Carolina, we took the scenic route back to New England rather than 95. We ended up in West Virginia, and stayed the night so we could recover.

Pros:
* Right near the highway
*nice looking lobby

Cons:
*Bathroom looked like it was cleaned with a human hair mop
*Hair in beds, uncomfortable
*Pool filled with dead bugs, no pool cleaner seen
*elevator rusty and nearly broken down.
*crumbs everywhere

So, in short, we left at four am because we didn't want another minute. Don't go here if you like clean rooms.

• Stayed July 2013
Morgantown, West Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

Spent the weekend here while visiting places and friends in the area. Have stayed here since 2001 and never am disappointed. Great price, clean hotel and nice staff. Heard they were going to be starting some renovations . Cant wait to see them. I hope they would consider putting in an indoor pool or hot tub. Tara at the front desk has greeted us the last two times and she is so nice to the guests. Room was clean, beds were comfortable and continental breakfast was good as always! The elevator could be a little faster but otherwise I cant complain. You also get a 10% discount at a few different nearby restaurants which you can walk to from the hotel. They also have an outdoor pool.
Thanks again for a great stay and hope to see you later in the year!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Been to Comfort Inn Aikens Center? Share your experiences!