“Not the Quality I Expected, But Not the Nightmare Others Depict” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Carefree Inn

Carefree Inn
You added Carefree Inn to your Saves list
Carefree Inn
1.5 of 5 Hotel   |   94 McMillan Court, Martinsburg, WV 25401 (Formerly Rodeway Inn)   |
Ranked #7 of 13 Hotels in Martinsburg
Saylorsburg, PA
“Not the Quality I Expected, But Not the Nightmare Others Depict”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2012

The Holiday Inn, it is not. You *may* need to lower your standards when staying here...

The accomodations were sufficient, yes... but it was not the most comfortable stay. Between the stiff mattress and lumpy pillows, and the musty old furniture... and when we first arrived, I pulled back the comforter to be greeted by a spider running across the sheets. I am not so prissy to give much thought to that though, even the neatest home gets a spider now and then. But the quality of the linens/towels was fairly low... and in fact, they need to be replaced. There were a few dark stains on the side of the mattress/boxspring. Probably a spilled beverage *fingers crossed*.

The bathroom fan was so quiet, at first I didn't even know it was on. The shower head was affixed to the wall at a height equal to about the back of my head, so when turned on, the water hit me in the chest... had to assume a limbo position to rinse my hair... I don't recall how the water pressure was, but there was plenty of hot water.

The large picture window, at least in our second story room, did open - and there was no screen in it. Good warning for familes with children. Oh, also our room was very very muggy when we first entered (around 7:30 pm) and the AC on high only barely cooled it down by the time we returned at 11-12 that evening.

The free breakfast consisted of kids' sugary cereals (fruit loops, cocoa puffs, fruity pebbles) and maybe some corn flakes or something... there was only 2% milk. There were also frozen waffles and white bread and a toaster. Prepackaged muffins rounded out the breakfast. I don't think there was any fruit. My boyfriend said the orange juice was actually Tang (maybe).. I had coffee, as I don't like to start my day on starchy carbs and sugar. But hey, it was food, and it was my own fault if I went hungry.

The hotel's bar is a pirate theme... the bar itself like a ship. The drinks were strong (fine by me). Had a group of what were likely regulars hanging out. Bartender was friendly enough and helpful in answering our questions about hours, etc. We did not eat there though.

For $60, though... we got what we paid for, and it was not horribly awful or anything. It was enough for us to get showers and a night's rest. However, I can't bring myself to rate it "average" due to some of the shortcomings I've mentioned and an overall "run down" kind of feeling... but I will add, we had very pleasant service from the front desk, and had no trouble getting extra towels (there were three of us).

Room Tip: Second floor hazard - windows open, no screens. There are rooms which have windows interior to the...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Alstead, New Hampshire
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2012

My wife, my son and I were coming home to New England after a week in Myrtle Beach. I had seen this motel in a google search and figured a I could not go wrong with a motel with an indoor pool, hot tub, and Free breakfast for around $50.00. I was mistaken, let me start off with the only positive thing about our stay was the women at the front desk was very friendly when I first walked in and checked in but that was where anything good ended. We hit some traffic in the afternoon so we got there around 9:30 and after a long day on the road I was looking forward to a swim and a quick soak in the hot tub. After walking from our room through a hallway that looked like it has not been vacuumed in a month we got to the pool area only to find the hot tub was closed and went for a swim in the pool which was about ten degrees colder than what it should have been. In the morning during checkout when I asked another woman about the hot tub she said there was a bunch of kids in there during the weekend and needed to be cleaned but in my opinion they had all day Sunday to clean it and could not bother to do it. The room had a nasty odor to it and the mattress was very uncomfortable and felt like it should have been replaced a long time ago. In the morning the breakfast consisted of some bagged pancakes, cereal, muffins, and some bread to toast. There was not any fruit, bagels, waffle makers, or Danishes like you find at most hotels or motels. I was not expecting a fancy room but I was at least expecting a clean room and a hot tub that worked and a heated pool. If you are looking for a cheap place to get a quick night's sleep and do not mind a dirty room and don't mind a train waking you up at 6 in the morning then stay here but I would suggest spending a few more dollars and getting a decent place to stay

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Rochester, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2012

got the last room, GOOD price, GREAT room!!good breakfast the next morning and friendly nice receptionist.... paid much more at other motels for much worse rooms..
thank you Rodeway!! and thanks to the Wyndam Reward operator who directed me and my hubby (with my Labrador) to this hotel..we were exhausted and the room was GREAT

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Martinsburg, West Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2012

I stopped by to visit friends and the plady at the counter wouldnt let me enter until I told her where I was headed. Then she kept calling the room (4 times) asking if i was staying the night. Said if i didnt leave she was double charging the room. My friend ended up paying 120 dollars for a stinky dirty out of date hotel room. The people are horrible the rooms are horrible. STAY AWAY!!!!!

Room Tip: Dont stay here, stay at any of the other local hotels....
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Raleigh, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2012

Hi! From Wednesday, January 18th through January 21st, 2012, I had the pleasure of staying in this hotel. From going into the front door and meeting 'Debbie', until saying goodbye to 'Debbie' (again at the front desk), I was impressed with her cordiality and helpfulness. She is so pleasant and gave me great information on whatever my needs were, My room was clean and comfortable. The re-design of the bathroom had a nice touch of granite (?) counter. The towels and washcloths were plentiful and thirsty and clean, as well as complete with amenities (towels, shampoo, kleenex, hairdryer, coffee maker, soaps, small refrigerator). It was great to have an hdtv as well !!!! I guess I'm trying to say that I am most pleased with how pleasant Debbie was, first, then the daily cleaning staff as well! Second was of course, the cleanliness.
During my stay I also met the manager, whose name I did not get (I apologize) but who was also VERY helpful and pleasant. I had a nice, fresh continental breakfast and we struck up an easy conversation about the internet. It was my first experience with my laptop away from home and he gave me detailed information on 'how to'.
This hotel is right next to a housing development where my family lives. My daughter and husband were expecting their third child and I wanted my privacy, coming and going to the hospital, not wanting to disturb access to the house and have stayed at this hotel under a different name (I liked it then, too).
In December I also visited one of your Rodeway Inn's in Greensburg, Pa., Rte 30, Pittsburgh Street. IT WAS A HORRIBLE EXPERIENCE AND I swore I'd never stay in another Rodeway again. (If you want me to write a review on THAT one, I'll be happy to! It was a bad experience and I wouldn't mind telling you a few things that should be corrected). So, I was taking a chance walking in the front door at the Martinsburg, West Virginia one. I was scared to death and on purpose did NOT make reservations via internet in case I decided not to stay.
Instead, walking up to the counter, meeting Debbie, was the decisive moment. She's the kind of personnel you want working for you! Next time I WILL make reservations via the internet.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
Columbia, Maryland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2011

Our family of 4 came upon this place after spending a long day at Harper's Ferry. I checked in at one am and took a shower (bathroom was clean). When I got done my husband showed me the sheets, stained with drops of dried blood and the mattress/boxspring containing large dark red stains as well. He also noted mold in the fridge and a musty smell to the room overall. I immediately gathered my stuff/kids and packed the car. I checked out a little after 2 and the clerk said she didn't know how to refund my money and to contact the manager tomorrow. We then spent the next 2 hours driving all the way home to MD. I contacted the hotel 3 times since and cannot get the manager to contact me and they aren't going to refund the money saying room was "used" since I took a shower. I have contacted choice hotels who are going to investigate the unsanitary conditions there. I hope they fix these problems as they are unacceptable. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone ever.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Olney, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2011

Just stayed here for the first time and have nothing to complain about other than the blanket on the bed had some stains. Hotel is clean, room is clean, bed was nicely firm, pool was great and hottub was even better!!! Big TV screen. Staff was 100% friendly and helpful. Typical free continental breakfast. They were working on the restaurant/bar/entertainment area and from the looks of it, it will not open any time soon. I have to completely disagree with all these people who are complaining about this hotel.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Carefree Inn? Share your experiences!