“Back to Wonderful Watoga” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #4 of 16 Attractions in Marlinton
Type: Outdoors
More attraction details
Owner description: Largest of all the state parks in West Virginia, Watoga has over 10,000 acres of sprawling woodland filled with a multitude of recreational opportunities. Camping at Watoga is unsurpassed anywhere. The 11-acre lake, which was previously Lake Killibuck, is used for paddle-boating, row-boating and fishing. Cast your line to fetch a trout, bass, bluegill or even catfish! Don’t worry, if you fail to catch dinner at the lake - there is a restaurant on the property which serves tasty meals. There are over 15 miles of road and 40 miles of hiking paths for enjoying the quiet beauty of the park.
Raleigh, North Carolina
4 attraction reviews
“Back to Wonderful Watoga”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2013

We met our long time friends from Richmond who had never been to Watoga or the surrounding area. Had lunch at the Greenbrier then traveled to Watoga. Since only the delux cabins were available we stayed in Cabin 28 and had the Pine Run cabin area all to ourselves. Went to Beartown and the Opera House on Saturday. I first visited Watoga with my Family about 40 years ago and have been back with my Family dozens of times. The fragrance of the cabin is imprinted in my brain. This year we had a great time around the fireplace with great friends. Making plans to visit next year, maybe once in the Spring and once in the Fall. Watoga is the place I go in my mind when I need to close my eyes and relax.

Visited November 2013

Winchester, Virginia
22 attraction reviews
“Nice, slow paced, peaceful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

We had a wonderful time during our weekend at Watoga. The staff is so kind and wonderful--no rushing. It was great to see folks who treat us so personably. The cabin was nice and we were happy to bring along our dog. The park is conveniently located near the Greenbrier River Trail and there are many nice hiking trails within the park.

Visited September 2013
Chantilly, Virginia
3 attraction reviews
“Beautiful place to stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

I stayed over the Labor Day weekend...in a standard cabin and thoroughly enjoyed every moment. The cabin was super clean...it is an old log cabin that took you back in time....The scenic views are breathtaking; the ambiance of the fireplace reflecting off the polished floors, watching the fire jump and spark is very tranquil. I rented a canoe and the staff was VERY polite and VERY helpful...although the lake is small, the area around it was so clean and the lake was so clear...just amazing. I woke up to a deer and two fawns grazing outside my window....I sat and watched them for like forever...staying at Watoga State Park is a MUST. There is so much to do and see. If you like river finishing, the Greenbriar river is right there...boat & tube rentals all over the place. Again, the staff at Wagota State Park are wonderful....hassle free experience. Thank you!!!

Visited September 2013
Pinnacle, North Carolina
10 attraction reviews
“Warthogs State Park”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

If you are looking for a great place to take your family and you like being in the outdoors, this is a great place to go. There are cabins and campsites with a swimming pool, lake and paddle boats, recreation hall. The cabins are nice and the park is beautiful. I have been there two times this summer and the staff is excellent. There is one downside though, if you forget your Off or something, they do not have a store or gift shop, but there is a small store just outside the park!

If you are near Lewisburg in West Virginia you take highway 219 towards Marlinton and just past the Pearl S Buck homesite you will see the turn off for the park. It is very easy to get too! HAPPY CAMPING!

Roanoke, Virginia
“Riverside Campground is fantastic”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

I've been coming to Watoga State Park since I was a child, I grew up less than 8 miles from there. I now live in Virginia and coming "home" to this State Park is the best camping experience we have. The sites are HUGE compared to many of the campgrounds we stay at, and it's very quiet and really lets you get back to nature. There's not a ton of activities within the campground, but the park offers fishing, paddleboats, horseback riding, hiking & swimming and Pocahontas County itself is virtually full of things to do, many at no cost.

I would recommend Riverside Campground to anyone looking for a great camping experience.

A few things you should know about the area. Cell service is none existent in the campground, and there is no wi-fi. Be prepared to be unplugged. The closest Wal-Mart (or other large grocery store) is 30 miles south of Hillsboro just off Interstate 64 in Lewisburg. Jack Horner's Corner just across the bridge has fantastic pizza - plus tube rentals for a float down the river.

Enjoy!