“Great Weekend Getaway” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Guesthouse Lost River

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Lost River
Guesthouse Lost River
You added Guesthouse Lost River to your Saves list
288 Settlers Valley Way, Lost River, WV 26810   |
Ranked #1 of 3 Lost River B&B and Inns
Fairfax, Virginia
“Great Weekend Getaway”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2014

I recently stayed here with my boyfriend over the weekend and if I had to use one word to describe the place it would be wonderful! We stayed in the Builtmore Cottage and I just loved the mountain views from the balcony (which included rockings chairs to relax in). Gary and Jesse are top notch hosts who are both extremely nice and happy to provide information on things to do in the area. The restaurant on premises is also excellent. I had a pork chop with an apple glaze one night and a bacon wrapped chicken breast the 2nd night and thoroughly enjoyed both. At first glance you may think its pricey but when you get the food its definitely "nice restaurant" quality. I also tried the french onion soup and it was probaby the best i've ever had. The on-site bar is nice with a good selection (though its a tad pricey.. though comparable to other vacation locations). One night they had a piano player which I thought was a nice touch. Overall I found the place very relaxing and a good blend of ability to be secluded and alone from people with a dinner/bar and clubhouse where you can interact with people if you wish. Would definitely recommend to others. One note: Do NOT follow GPS here, it'll take you through gravel roads in the mountains.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Lynchburg, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2014

My husband and I had a great stay at the Guesthouse. The food was amazing and the service from everyone was excellent. Loved family style breakfast and the opportunity to speak with other guests staying there. We had the same waitress both nights and she was so sweet! Breakfast was delicious the first day and the second day still good but not quite as much to offer. The hosts were delightful and gave us tons of options on what to do on Saturday. They accommodated our late check in and late dinner reservation Friday night, which was so appreciated. The views are so scenic and there was just a beautiful calm to the property that was much needed for us. We didn't get to use the pool because of the temperatures, but the game rooms inside were so much fun and the honor bar was nice to have as well if you wanted to hang out upstairs and not go down and order drinks from the bar. You never felt crowded on the property because there are so many little different rooms in the main house. Adorable location nestled in the mountains for a fun adventure! Great for couples who either like to lounge around and hang out, or those who like to go adventuring in the woods. Met our needs perfectly! Would certainly go back again, when the pool is opened and the beach at the State Park!

Room Tip: We booked late and got the Red Bud Middle -- good room but not much space if you find you need that...
Louisville, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2014

My husband and I really enjoyed our stay at the Guesthouse Lost River. This was the perfect destination for getting away from everything for a couple of days. Nestled in the mountains of West Virginia, the Guesthouse is the perfect place to escape from the rest of the world. Gary and Jesse were wonderful hosts, the facilities are fantastic and the scenery is just gorgeous. We started our days with a wonderful and filling breakfast and spent the rest of the time making use of the pool table, board games, fitness center, and the spa. I loved everything the Guesthouse had to offer, but the spa was my favorite place. Featuring a spacious hot tub and a steam room, the spa made our goal of relaxation even more complete. I would recommend this to anyone looking for a place to stay in West Virginia. Whether your goal is for romance or just a weekend with friends or family, the Guesthouse is someplace that will take care of all your needs. The only thing I am disappointed about was that we weren't able to take advantage of the pool, but that just gives me an excuse to return in the summer. :)

Burtonsville, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2014

The Guesthouse has been the place to be for many years now for my partner and myself. We love love love the place. It is so peaceful at all times and you can relax in your room or at any of the lounge areas the main Guesthouse has. Breakfast is one of my favorites things the food is great and you get to meet the other guests. The service at the restaurant is very good and the food amazing. What can I say about Gary and Jesse they are the best, I love spending time with them especially at the bar after dinner. They are a great team and work very hard to make sure all guests are happy. I’m already planning my summer trip.

Laurel, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2014

My boyfriend and I had never stayed at a bed and breakfast before. So we were new to this, but we knew we wanted to be somewhere that would allow us to relax, retreat from the world, and still have a great time. Jesse and Gary made sure they provided that to us! We fell in love with this place right away. The views are breathe taking in the mornings and evenings! The pool table allows for some great competitive fun! Dinner brings out the romance, the meals are out of this world amazing. We even bought 2 jars of the Apple Butter we had during breakfast (I had to get my own cause sharing was not an option. :-)) Even though I kept reading we should stay on the 2nd floor because the views are better, we stayed on the 1st floor, and I must say the view was still just as amazing! Jesse and Gary are so warm and welcoming! We enjoyed every conversation with them. We look forward to returning during the warmer season so we can have fun in the pool this time!

Room Tip: Bring a bathing suit for the Jacuzzi and Sauna during a relaxing evening. It's worth it!
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
GuesthouseLostRiver, Owner at Guesthouse Lost River, responded to this review, May 7, 2014
Elaina,

Thank you for your kind words regarding your recent stay with us! We got a little nervous when we read the title "My First and Last Bed and Breakfast", but we were flattered that it was because you enjoyed yourself so much! We loved having you both spend time and chat with us and allowing us to show you some of the hospitality that we loved so much when we first came here as guests!

Looking forward to having you visit us again!

Jesse and Gary
Roanoke, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2014

We recently stayed here for a weekend and it was just what we needed. We were looking for a getaway that would allow us to reconnect and recharge, and Guesthouse Lost River delivered. We stayed in the Guesthouse Suite and would definitely choose it again over any other room on the property. We loved the sitting area, private balcony, extra half bath, kitchen, and sunset views. The shower door did not latch, causing quite a bit of water to escape onto the floor, but that was our only small issue (other than sharing our room with some stinkbugs and ladybugs - probably to be expected in this setting). Although it isn't mentioned on the website, this is the only guest room with a TV (small). There's also a sound system in the suite.

I typically look to TripAdvisor reviews for information I cannot find on a property's website, so in that spirit I will share a few key bits of information for prospective guests:

(1) The guest rooms do not lock from the outside and no keys are provided. This came as a great surprise to us, especially as we did not see it mentioned in any other reviews. We had no choice but to get comfortable with this, but it's not clear why this is the case. For an establishment catering to the DC crowd, security should be a priority - regardless of the remote location.

(2) There is no cell service there, although WiFi is provided. You'll need to provide the Guesthouse's phone number in order to be reached by phone during your stay.

(3) There are no guest rooms in the main building. For some reason, we had expected our room to be in the same building as the restaurant, bar, breakfast room, game rooms, etc. There is a very short walk between the two buildings.

We enjoyed the family style breakfast, particularly as it was served at the reasonable weekend hour of 9:00 am. Breakfast was more robust on Saturday (fresh fruit, eggs, biscuits, hash browns) than it was on Sunday (fresh fruit, pancakes, bacon). Cereal and yogurt was available both days. We enjoyed meeting and chatting with our fellow guests.

The fitness center is located in the same building as the main Guesthouse, just one floor below our room, and was well-equipped for a vacation workout. We enjoyed shooting pool and hanging out in the common areas, but we also were grateful to be able to retreat to our private suite. We dined in the restaurant both evenings and found it to be good, but not great. We hope to visit again!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2014

This was our second trip to the Guesthouse at Lost River for an extended weekend getaway. Had a wonderfully relaxing time. Enjoyed all of the amenities of the lodge, ate several of their fluffy pancakes, and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. Gary and Jesse, the owners, offer a very personal touch to their guests' experience. Dining on site was very good and their wine options were great too.

Room Tip: Ask about what you are looking for. The staff was great to help match up to two rooms that were ide...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Guesthouse Lost River? Share your experiences!