“THIS HOTEL NO LONGER EXISTS - BURNED” 1 of 5 stars

Aracoma Hotel
201 Main Street, Logan, WV 25601   |
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Logan
Cincinnati, Ohio, United States
“THIS HOTEL NO LONGER EXISTS - BURNED”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

THere are now more hotels in logan to choose from. However this one is only in memories after MANY decades of being the only hotel in Logan. It was sad to see this on the news, and find out the only hotel in Logan for a long time was now gone and never going to be rebuilt.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

man wv
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2010

Me and my wife were stuck in a snowstorm and decided to stay here.. our bed was bloodstained and they refused to give us a refund.. sorry service, sorry room sorry management.. DO NOT STAY HERE

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2009

Lemme just say that this is the WORST hotel I have ever stayed in. I looked at 3 other rooms before they gave me the keys to this one. I read that the hotel was a historic icon in this area at one time it was apparently a big deal at one time. Presidents and other sorts of big wigs stayed here. It's complete bull and the clerk told me as much. He said that they just bought it and the old owner made bogus claims on price line. Uh huh... Sure. Coal miners stay here for weeks on end is more like it. When the clerk (who was friendly I will admit) told me that people live here I assumed it was a half way house, but apparently it's not. The reviews said that they had updated some of the rooms and that you need to ask for one of them. Well, I did. They didn't know which ones were updated, so the guy gave me what he thought would be one of the better ones, and yes, they do ask you to pay upfront and no, they don't give refunds. It says so right over the clerks head as he swipes your credit card.

There is no parking lot, just some metered parking out front. It is a weird little town to be sure but there were groups of kids walking around loudly outside (it was almost midnight) and I was pretty sure the car would have been broken in to since there was all kinds of stuff inside. I left $1.50 at the desk for the meters. They ACTUALLY DID put the money in the meter at 7 am for me which surprised me. Anyways, there are signs all over the hotel that say you will be asked to leave if you smoke BUT- the whole place smells like smoke and there are ashtrays in all the rooms I looked at... Hmmmm... When you open up the glass doors to the building you have to step up and over the concrete steps that no doubt were once the outside steps of the building. You must close that door in order to open up the other set of glass doors because there is like 3' of space in which to stand to do this, on stairs nonetheless.

So The paint is peeling off all the walls, the doors are dented up metal doors with chipped paint, there are chairs in the hallways that are filthy and ancient and the hallways and elevator smelled like a mixture of ramen noodles, farts and cigarettes. The rooms I entered had the most garbagy looking furniture I can imagine in a college dorm room. It really does look like they pulled it out of a dumpster after it sat in the rain for 2 weeks. There were 3' tall fridges on TOP OF tables. There were microwaves in most (note that NONE of the appliances matched in any of the rooms) The white appliances were yellowed by cigarette smoke and grease, the walls were yellowed as well. The TV's were from the early 80's, I'm sure, though none of them matched either. In one room the microwave was on what was supposed to be used as a desk or a table and there was only about 2' of space left on it for whatever it was intended for. The paint was chipped also, but one place had badly weathered and carved in wood panelling which made that room look like a cave. The carpet did not match in any of the rooms either. Every room's carpet had cigarette burns and was thread bare in places where there were obvious paths through the room. The windows were cardboarded shut or had plastic over them and there was a lousy yellowed air conditioner from the 80's in most. One didn't even have control knobs. All had greasy dust on the air vents. I didn't even look at the beds. I did try to look at one of the bathrooms (none of them matched either) The light did not come on. I WOULD NOT LET ME DOG SLEEP HERE. If I were homeless I would rather sleep under a bridge.

The guy handed me another set of keys and I said, "look man, I'm not asking for much. Give me a room that is hospitable or ima sleep in my car." He said he thought that those rooms were the updated rooms but he would call the owner or whoever and ask them which ones were new. He did and the guy said the 2nd floor was newer. (He gave me keys to rooms on the 3rd and 4th floor. There was supposedly wi fi too-nope. He said there was some in the lobby but the 4th floor had ethernet chords (which they did, but I don't know if they worked. Luckily somebody nearby had an airport and I tapped their wifi) He ended up giving me a room on the 2nd floor that was a smidge better than the upstairs rooms I looked at. Stained chairs, ugly carpet, chipped paint on the doors. I'm pretty sure the sheets had not been changed and the toilet was not wiped down (I think there was part of a turdlet left over in the bowl too) Basically it was the worst hotel experience of my life-and that's saying a lot. Ima post this review everywhere. I hope if you read this you will really consider staying somewhere else. If you are the owner of this hotel you should be ashamed of yourself and you should probably give up the hotel business and demolish your lousy hotel.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
Dayton
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2009

Old. Raggedy. Dusty hotel. Furniture looks like it was picked out of curb trash, after goodwill rejected it as donation. Window unit AC did not work. Smells of smoke everywhere in hotel. Shared bathroom with adjacent room. They charge you up front and you can not be a refund if you leave after first nite. So they know the hotel is horrible. Should be condemed. Better fit in some crack infested ghetto.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
Herndon, VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2009

On a quick one night trip to Logan, I decided to stay at the old Aracoma Hotel in downtown Logan, based on the recommendation of a local businessman. He told me that some of the rooms had been remodeled and updated, and to be sure and ask for one of the newer rooms. I did, and was really surprised at how terrific it was! Everything was new/nice...bedding, furniture, paint, carpet, etc. The bathroom was clean and modern, and the hotel now has high speed internet access (which it didn't have on my last stay there 4 years ago). The room was definitely on par with a large national chain, but with the unique flavor of an older locally owned hotel (John Kennedy stayed there during his 1960 Presidential run). And, it was $40.00 per night less expensive than the local Holiday Inn Express and Park Lodge. One note: apparently some of the rooms have NOT been remodeled and updated, and are kept basic for the many weekly mine workers who stay at the hotel. Be sure to ask for new/remodeled.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled solo

Been to Aracoma Hotel? Share your experiences!