“Are there 2 Lost World Caverns in Lewisburg?” 3 of 5 stars

Useful Information: Activities for older children
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Wapakoneta, Ohio
53 attraction reviews
“Are there 2 Lost World Caverns in Lewisburg?”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2014

We stopped at this caverns on our way to the Greenbrier for Christmas. It received excellent reviews, plus we were looking to kill a few hours before checking in. I don't get all the 5 star reviews its receiving. It's a caverns, yes. But I'm not sure it's a 5 star caverns. I'm not an archeologist or anything, but I've been in my share of caves and caverns: Ohio caverns, Lost Sea in Sweetwater, TN, Diamond Caverns, Mammoth Caves, Crystal Caverns, Perry's Cave, etc. I would rate any and all of those higher than this one. There was no tour guide as you would usually expect at a cavern. We were handed a piece of paper that mentioned some of the things we would see, given a flashlight, and told to enjoy ourselves. It was a rainy day, and a lot of the paths were underwater. So much so that we carried our children through parts so their shoes wouldn't get soaked. We learned nothing, which, beside the visual awe of the caverns, is what you hope to gain by paying to go through one - a little information and knowledge about what formed them, when they were discovered, what they were used for originally, etc. With no tour guide, our arms full of children, a spec sheet and a flashlight, we traipsed through, took a few pictures of something we didn't know what it was, and headed back into the gift shop. The owner's dog kept jumping up on us with muddy paws (due to the aforementioned rain) and the owner's did nothing to stop him from it. We left disappointed.

Visited December 2013

Oviedo, Florida
“One of our family outings”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2014

We were quite fascinated to see these caverns. It made it possible to see the cavernssince they were so close to where we stayed. It was nice to visit and the entire family was mesmerized.

Visited January 2014
Greensboro, North Carolina
17 attraction reviews
“Experience of a lifetime”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2013

I stumbled on to Lost World Caverns when I was trying to find a hotel in Lewisburg, WV. I decided the Wild Cave Tour would be an experience that my 13 year old son and I would enjoy.

Our experience at Lost World Caverns was phenomenal, from start to finish. We greatly enjoyed everyone that we met. Our tour guide on the Wild Cave Tour was professional and able to calm me down when I started to panic at one point on the tour (during the Birth Canal experience).

My son and I were on the tour with two other people and the small group experience was perfect.

This is an experience not to pass up, if you are not afraid of tight spaces, crickets, getting muddy and cold (and bats). It is ideal for those who are adventurous and it IS HARD WORK. It is two days later and I am still sore (in a good way).

After our 3.5 hour tour, we were served a very good picnic style meal. Even my son agreed the meal was great and he is very picky.

Helpful hints: You absolutely will be soaked (yes, even your underwear), so dress as the staff advises and pack a FULL change of clothes. Take advantage of the indoor shower (with hot water). Soap, shampoo and clean towels were provided in a clean bathroom on site.
Also, I am very cold natured and was wearing jeans, thermal top and sweatshirt. We were working so hard, I didn't notice the cold until the very end.

I heard that many people throw their clothes away after the tour. I didn't do that, but wish I had, as it took me 2 washes to get my muddy clothes somewhat clean.

My son and I already plan to go back this summer.

Visited December 2013
New York City, New York
“AMAZING !”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2013

Thanks to Steven,the guide, we passed a very very VERY good day ! He is very patient and good teaching.
It was a crazy experience ! I recommended it sincerely !
Lost World Caverns is a thing that you have to do in your life !
Say hello from "good pancake baby company" to crickets and bats !!!
Vic and Ju

Visited November 2013
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Stumping Spelunking”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013

There is just something wild and wonderful about caves. It is a final frontier full of ancient rock sculptures, subterranean chambers, tight passages and unusual critters. There is no better place for your first cave adventure than the "Wild Cave Tour". I've taken many cave virgins to Lost World, ages 9 to 65 years. All have enjoyed it. The staff and guides are amazing. They equip, train and entertain you; guide you safely through crannies and climbs; provide water and snacks during the 4 hour trek; provide hot showers and clean towels upon your return; feed you a hot meal while your pictures are downloaded to CD. This is the best year-round activity in the Coolest Small Town in American (Budget Travel Magazine 2011).

Visited November 2013