“Experience of a lifetime” 5 of 5 stars

Attraction Details
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Greensboro, North Carolina
13 attraction reviews
“Experience of a lifetime”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2013

I stumbled on to Lost World Caverns when I was trying to find a hotel in Lewisburg, WV. I decided the Wild Cave Tour would be an experience that my 13 year old son and I would enjoy.

Our experience at Lost World Caverns was phenomenal, from start to finish. We greatly enjoyed everyone that we met. Our tour guide on the Wild Cave Tour was professional and able to calm me down when I started to panic at one point on the tour (during the Birth Canal experience).

My son and I were on the tour with two other people and the small group experience was perfect.

This is an experience not to pass up, if you are not afraid of tight spaces, crickets, getting muddy and cold (and bats). It is ideal for those who are adventurous and it IS HARD WORK. It is two days later and I am still sore (in a good way).

After our 3.5 hour tour, we were served a very good picnic style meal. Even my son agreed the meal was great and he is very picky.

Helpful hints: You absolutely will be soaked (yes, even your underwear), so dress as the staff advises and pack a FULL change of clothes. Take advantage of the indoor shower (with hot water). Soap, shampoo and clean towels were provided in a clean bathroom on site.
Also, I am very cold natured and was wearing jeans, thermal top and sweatshirt. We were working so hard, I didn't notice the cold until the very end.

I heard that many people throw their clothes away after the tour. I didn't do that, but wish I had, as it took me 2 washes to get my muddy clothes somewhat clean.

My son and I already plan to go back this summer.

Visited December 2013

New York City, New York
“AMAZING !”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2013

Thanks to Steven,the guide, we passed a very very VERY good day ! He is very patient and good teaching.
It was a crazy experience ! I recommended it sincerely !
Lost World Caverns is a thing that you have to do in your life !
Say hello from "good pancake baby company" to crickets and bats !!!
Vic and Ju

Visited November 2013
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Stumping Spelunking”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013

There is just something wild and wonderful about caves. It is a final frontier full of ancient rock sculptures, subterranean chambers, tight passages and unusual critters. There is no better place for your first cave adventure than the "Wild Cave Tour". I've taken many cave virgins to Lost World, ages 9 to 65 years. All have enjoyed it. The staff and guides are amazing. They equip, train and entertain you; guide you safely through crannies and climbs; provide water and snacks during the 4 hour trek; provide hot showers and clean towels upon your return; feed you a hot meal while your pictures are downloaded to CD. This is the best year-round activity in the Coolest Small Town in American (Budget Travel Magazine 2011).

Visited November 2013
Lexington Park
3 attraction reviews
“Something Fun to do on a Rainy Day!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

I wanted to do the wild tour at the Lost World Caverns, but didn't have enough people to do the tour the day I was there. I did go do the self guided tour of the caverns and enjoyed seeing the formations. It was very beautiful down there and I got some great pictures. Fun thing to do with the kids.

Visited October 2013
Edgewater, Maryland
9 attraction reviews
“Best cavern in WVA”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

We've visited lots of caverns in WVA, and Lost Worlds was by far the coolest and most unique of all! The tour is self-guided so you can move at your own pace. At one point, our party of 4 was the only group in the cavern and it makes for an eerie, even spiritual experience. They have left the cavern in a very rugged conditIon, with huge stones all over the floor that have dropped from the cavern ceiling. The cavern is one huge long room, and you feel like you're on another planet....a terrific experience!

Visited October 2013