“A breath of fresh mountain air!” 5 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #2 of 41 Restaurants in Lewisburg
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Dessert
“A breath of fresh mountain air!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014 via mobile

My second visit to this exceptional little restaurant in Lewisburg. The experience from start to finish is sublime. The attention to detail is extraordinary, the service is exactly the right mix of friendly yet professional - particularly if you are waited on by either Rebecca or Lori. The food is quite simply the best I have eaten in America ( the simplest dishes are superb - I recommend the naked burger and the more complicated ones are a beautiful and subtle mixture of flavours - try the 'not pasta pasta' - mouth watering.
I am always happy to eat here and wish there were more places that so unconditionally understand the balance of superb service with exceptional food.
You would be mad to miss this place!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
dctrdes, Owner at Stardust Cafe, responded to this review, July 12, 2014
Thank you so much! We appreciate your recognition of our efforts to offer top quality food with excellent service in a fun atmosphere. It is customers like you that make our job rewarding and delightful!

Virginia Beach, Virginia
“Perfect Place for Lunch or Dinner”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

We were in Lewisburg over the 4th of July weekend and had not been there in about five years. We decided to stop at the Stardust Café for lunch. It is a small and cozy café. Our server was outstanding, suggesting several things from the menu and providing other helpful tips. My husband had the Gigi Panini and I had the Alright Already Salad. It was quite possibly the best salad I have ever had. What a great combination of rice, lettuce, veggies, and curry sauce. We tried to get reservations for dinner that evening but they were already booked. We have already made plans to visit Lewisburg again in the near future just so we can have dinner at the Stardust. If you are in Lewisburg for either lunch or dinner do not miss the opportunity to visit the Stardust Café.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
dctrdes, Owner at Stardust Cafe, responded to this review, July 11, 2014
Thank you so much for taking your valuable time to let all know of your positive experience. We are filled with gratitude!
Charleston, South Carolina
“Not worth the terrible service”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

Customer service is so bad it warrants taking 15 minutes out of a day to rant about it on a website. I'm not sure if they lack social skills, if the culture there is so bad that they take it out on customers, or if they're that arrogant.

Experience #1 - we went to Stardust in Summer 2012 around 2:30pm for dessert. We had heard it was the best thing about the restaurant, so we scheduled our trip to Lewisburg around having dessert for lunch. Their desserts are behind a counter, so all it takes is a quick microwave or plating. We walked in, and without saying hello, the host behind the counter said, "WE ARE NOT TAKING TABLES. WE CLOSE FROM 3:00-5:00." "Oh well, we're just going to sit at the bar and grab dessert, we'll be gone by 3:00 for sure." "NO, WE CLOSE FROM 3:00-5:00." "Yes, but it's 2:30, and we'll be gone in 15 minutes." "I DON'T UNDERSTAND WHAT YOU ARE NOT GETTING ABOUT US CLOSING FROM 3:00-5:00." "I don't understand why you are saying this to me at 2:30!" So, they were rude and denied service to customers who would have paid a 5x markup for a piece of cake and tipped a waitress very well because they were closing... in a half an hour.

Experience #2 - We went to Stardust during the Greenbrier Classic this year. We made a reservation for 5:30. Door was open, and their sign said they open at 5:00, so we walked in at 5:05 to have a before-dinner drink. This time, it was the owner. "WE OPEN AT 5:30!" "Hello. We have a reservation at 5:30, we were going to get a dr--" "NO, WE OPEN AT 5:30. DO YOU HAVE A RESERVATION?" "Yes, we do at 5:30." "DO YOU HAVE A RESERVATION?" "Yes, we are saying this to you right now. And we were wondering if we could get a --" "WELL IF YOU DO NOT HAVE A RESERVATION YOU WILL NOT EAT TONIGHT." "We. do. have. a. reservation. at. 5.30." WELL WE OPEN AT 5:30, PLEASE DO NOT COME IN UNTIL EXACTLY 5:30." "Again, just so you know, your sign says 5:00."

This restaurant gets a lot of fanfare because people think it's the only one of its kind in the area ("farm to table!" "local produce!" "organic!" "no air conditioning!"). Honestly, in the Greenbrier Valley/Alleghany Highlands, a lot of restaurants are doing this already -- they have been since the beginning, and don't show it off. Go somewhere that appreciates your business.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
dctrdes, Owner at Stardust Cafe, responded to this review, July 11, 2014
My goodness it sounds as if you had an appalling experience, i think you may have the wrong restaurant. I am the owner so I can tell you that first of all, I am not in the restaurant at 5:30 and second of all, no one that works in my restaurant would ever respond to a customer in this way. I hire people who clearly reflect and understand that our primary mission is to 'shine the light on all that pass through our doors!"
I make it my job and my staff's mission, to make everyone that walks in, whether young or old, meek or mighty, to feel utterly respected and valued. I doubt that if it were otherwise, we would have such an extraordinarily successful business with so many rave reviews.
Our aim is to welcome all and provide service at an extraordinary level and we are acknowledged and praised throughout our every day for doing just. Thank you to all who have graced our lives for the last ten years of joy and love shared in our happy restaurant.
Salem, Virginia
“No customer service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

We happened to be in Lewisburg during the Greenbrier Classic, so all the restaurants were exceptionally busy. People were lining up outside of Stardust awaiting their opening for dinner. We waited outside for approximately 20 minutes, with the staff walking by us multiple times carrying/moving supplies. Once open, we were all told they were accepting reservations only and turned away. There was no sign. Worse, one of the staff could not have mentioned this to us on one of their trips through the line? Rude.

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Simply AMAZING”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

We LOVE LOVE LOVED this place!!!!! Soooooo fresh and wonderful!!!! Cannot possibly say enough good things! Wow!! We had dinner there one night while staying at The Greenbrier. It was so incredible we went back for lunch the next day!!!

• Visited June 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
dctrdes, Owner at Stardust Cafe, responded to this review, July 11, 2014
Thank you so much! We loved having you as our guests!