“Not worth the terrible service” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 44 Restaurants in Lewisburg
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Dessert
Charleston, South Carolina
“Not worth the terrible service”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

Customer service is so bad it warrants taking 15 minutes out of a day to rant about it on a website. I'm not sure if they lack social skills, if the culture there is so bad that they take it out on customers, or if they're that arrogant.

Experience #1 - we went to Stardust in Summer 2012 around 2:30pm for dessert. We had heard it was the best thing about the restaurant, so we scheduled our trip to Lewisburg around having dessert for lunch. Their desserts are behind a counter, so all it takes is a quick microwave or plating. We walked in, and without saying hello, the host behind the counter said, "WE ARE NOT TAKING TABLES. WE CLOSE FROM 3:00-5:00." "Oh well, we're just going to sit at the bar and grab dessert, we'll be gone by 3:00 for sure." "NO, WE CLOSE FROM 3:00-5:00." "Yes, but it's 2:30, and we'll be gone in 15 minutes." "I DON'T UNDERSTAND WHAT YOU ARE NOT GETTING ABOUT US CLOSING FROM 3:00-5:00." "I don't understand why you are saying this to me at 2:30!" So, they were rude and denied service to customers who would have paid a 5x markup for a piece of cake and tipped a waitress very well because they were closing... in a half an hour.

Experience #2 - We went to Stardust during the Greenbrier Classic this year. We made a reservation for 5:30. Door was open, and their sign said they open at 5:00, so we walked in at 5:05 to have a before-dinner drink. This time, it was the owner. "WE OPEN AT 5:30!" "Hello. We have a reservation at 5:30, we were going to get a dr--" "NO, WE OPEN AT 5:30. DO YOU HAVE A RESERVATION?" "Yes, we do at 5:30." "DO YOU HAVE A RESERVATION?" "Yes, we are saying this to you right now. And we were wondering if we could get a --" "WELL IF YOU DO NOT HAVE A RESERVATION YOU WILL NOT EAT TONIGHT." "We. do. have. a. reservation. at. 5.30." WELL WE OPEN AT 5:30, PLEASE DO NOT COME IN UNTIL EXACTLY 5:30." "Again, just so you know, your sign says 5:00."

This restaurant gets a lot of fanfare because people think it's the only one of its kind in the area ("farm to table!" "local produce!" "organic!" "no air conditioning!"). Honestly, in the Greenbrier Valley/Alleghany Highlands, a lot of restaurants are doing this already -- they have been since the beginning, and don't show it off. Go somewhere that appreciates your business.

• Visited July 2014
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
dctrdes, Owner at Stardust Cafe, responded to this review, July 11, 2014
My goodness it sounds as if you had an appalling experience, i think you may have the wrong restaurant. I am the owner so I can tell you that first of all, I am not in the restaurant at 5:30 and second of all, no one that works in my restaurant would ever respond to a customer in this way. I hire people who clearly reflect and understand that our primary mission is to 'shine the light on all that pass through our doors!"
I make it my job and my staff's mission, to make everyone that walks in, whether young or old, meek or mighty, to feel utterly respected and valued. I doubt that if it were otherwise, we would have such an extraordinarily successful business with so many rave reviews.
Our aim is to welcome all and provide service at an extraordinary level and we are acknowledged and praised throughout our every day for doing just. Thank you to all who have graced our lives for the last ten years of joy and love shared in our happy restaurant.

Salem, Virginia
“No customer service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

We happened to be in Lewisburg during the Greenbrier Classic, so all the restaurants were exceptionally busy. People were lining up outside of Stardust awaiting their opening for dinner. We waited outside for approximately 20 minutes, with the staff walking by us multiple times carrying/moving supplies. Once open, we were all told they were accepting reservations only and turned away. There was no sign. Worse, one of the staff could not have mentioned this to us on one of their trips through the line? Rude.

• Visited July 2014
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Simply AMAZING”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

We LOVE LOVE LOVED this place!!!!! Soooooo fresh and wonderful!!!! Cannot possibly say enough good things! Wow!! We had dinner there one night while staying at The Greenbrier. It was so incredible we went back for lunch the next day!!!

• Visited June 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
dctrdes, Owner at Stardust Cafe, responded to this review, July 11, 2014
Thank you so much! We loved having you as our guests!
Chatham, IL
“A unique place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2014

Once you get past a level of perceived pretentiousness, the food is quite good. We sat at the bar because it was so crowded. Very impressed with the quality of ingredients and the overall freshness of what we were eating. If you want prepared super quick food, go elsewhere. But if you want food that is made especially for you using real ingredients, go here. I had the hamburger and it was great. My wife had a Topanga Salad, which she raved about. My son had a pretty good grilled cheese and just devoured it. Good place and would go back again if ever in the area.

dctrdes, Owner at Stardust Cafe, responded to this review, July 11, 2014
Thank you so much for recognizing our efforts to make this a wonderful experience! We appreciate your taking the time to share this review!
“Fresh and delicious!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

We had lunch at the Stardust Cafe. We all got the naked burger, and it was wonderful! Served with a really fresh salad which we all enjoyed. My only complaint-the nonexistent kids menu. They offered a grilled cheese with provolone (12 year old got, but not appealing to my 10 year old) or chicken and rice. She ended up with a salad with chicken, and oil and vinegar. That would be my only suggestion. Desserts were awesome, we had carrot cake, birthday cake, and the lemon tart.

• Visited June 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
dctrdes, Owner at Stardust Cafe, responded to this review, July 11, 2014
Thank you for publicly recognizing our huge efforts to make your experience at our restaurant, a wonderful one. We look forward to seeing you again!