“The best cafe in America!” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #2 of 44 Restaurants in Lewisburg
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Dessert
London, United Kingdom
“The best cafe in America!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

There are few occasions in life when one is genuinely delighted; for me, eating at this cafe (actually this is a great restaurant rather than the more humble sounding cafe) was one of those occasions. The genius of the place is not simply the delicious and beautifully prepared food but the masterful blend of understated yet refined elegance that encompasses everything from the staff to the decor. A meal here is an experience for all ones senses and easily rates amongst the most enjoyable I have ever had: better in every respect than many more celebrated establishments I have eaten at in Paris, London and Rome.
I intend to return whenever the opportunity arises.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Poca
“I was hoping for better food and better experience :-(”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

We arrived at 8p on Saturday night with a party of 4. We were squished next to a family with 8 children. You backed up your chair and you were bumping person behind. The ill behaved children was certainly not the fault of the restaurant. What was the fault of this establishment, was the wait time. We were not served until 9:15p. 3 salads and a burger should not take that long. Our waitress, a slim brunette ( sorry she never did give her name), never checked on us during that wait. We had to flag someone from the restaurant down to ask for a refill on water. The place was beyond noisy , especially when one of the patrons was pounding on the bathroom door because his friend was taking too long. He was yelling and screaming,swearing. One of the staff said, " I might have to go all managerial on him". I told her if she didn't, I certainly would say something. No one did anything to this guy. I assume he had too much money to spend to ask to leave. Rude, yelling, swearing..again, not restaurant who did it, but restaurant that should have stopped it. The salad was disappointing. I grow/make my own food , so was excited to see what they had to offer. Price wise, not worth the value. Tasteless tomatoes as well. Too bad your grape tomatoes out back weren't doing so well or a couple of those would have helped. Since my friend asked for the avocado to be left off her salad, I requested it be put in mine ( since we were paying for it, might as well get it). My request was not filled. The burger was good, as was the roll it was served on. After waiting an hour and fifteen minutes, I do believe my companion would have eaten a napkin at that point and said it was good. Why so many staff in such a small room ( with so few tables) and yet..such poor service? You need to work on that. Welcoming it was not. Your restaurant and staff made a horrible first impression. After $70+ , we should have left with a clean taste in our mouths and a good feeling in our heads. We left stressed out and very unhappy. My friend said she didn't feel welcome. I hated to hear that, as it was my idea to take her out. I am sorry to give this review, but no one in your establishment did anything to change our impression. A quick offer of more bread, something..an acknowledgement we were even sitting there.. would have turned what was supposed to be a end to great day, into just that..a pleasant end before we traveled so far back home.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Kentucky
“A little bit of chic!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

Had heard great things about this restaurant from my daughter who is a real foodie so had to try. We stopped for a late lunch while traveling I-64 so was not too far out of our way. At 2pm most of the tables were full and from the interaction with the wait staff many were locals. I had a cup of tomato based soup of the day that was delicious. My husband had the special steak sandwich and he thought it was great. I also had a three cheese grilled sandwich that I thought was a little heavy on the goat cheese but okay. Lunch with drinks and dessert to go was $50, so a little pricey. The restaurant is located in an old building and very charming and nicely decorated. The coconut cake was extremely good, too!

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Virginia
“divine and sublime”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

We drove in to Lewisburg for the day while staying at the Greenbrier. It was almost 2pm when we arrived and we looked for a place to enjoy a glass of wine and a fresh, light lunch. We were excited that Stardust sources their food locally and uses organic when possible. They have a friendly atmosphere and a thorough menu. We had the BLT with avocado mayo and loads of crumbled bacon. It was perfect! We also had the mediterranean salad with grilled chicken. The chicken was still warm and the combination of feta, dates and walnuts was crazy good but the homemade dressing and yogurt sauce put it over the top! The wine was delicious and the toffee pudding was awe inspiring. We sat at a table in the front window and enjoyed the people watching. We cannot wait to go back!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Only if you have plenty of time and money.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013 via mobile

After traveling all day from eastern KY to attend the Greenbrier classic, my boyfriend and I was completely starving. We heard from the irish pub across the street that Stardust was the place to go. The next day we came to find the place packed out with a 20 min wait. Seeing as though it smelled delicious we put our name on the wait list and walked the streets to kill some time. After returning, we were merely pointed to a cramped table in the middle of the very tiny resturant. Once we were seated, we had to wait 5 minuets to be brought menu's by a very soft spoken waitress. She told us the sandwich specials and walked away, not asking us our drinks or if we wanted any appetizers. We had to wait another 15 minutes before she returned. Once we ordered it took at least 10 minutes for drinks and another 40 minutes for our two simple sandwiches and bowl of soup. Yes the place is organic and local, which is what we strive to eat and support. But for the price, we could have bought the food and prepared the meal our selves, without paying the heinous $2.25 sweet tea refill. The food was tasty but nothing to rave about. After eating and waiting patiently for a check, we watched our waitress say her goodbyes to the staff(while the resturant was still busy) and left.. not saying a word to us or giving us the bill. We waited at least another 10 minutes before another lovely waitress came over and said her apologies and serviced us with a $47.00 bill with tip not included. I'm not saying we won't give this place another try on the off chance that maybe due to the large crowd the Greenbrier Classic had drawn in, it may have been an off day. Next time we will come prepared with a lot more time to spare.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
dctrdes, Guest Relations Manager at Stardust Cafe, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
I am so sorry that you did not have a perfect experience. I will talk to your waitress about her not making a formal goodbye, she should have.
As for the iced tea refill, it is a bottomless glass, there is no charge for the second cup. You were charged for two glasses of tea so if your dining partner did not have a glass you were indeed incorrectly charged and I would like to send you a refund. Your bill that came to $47. But you neglected to list two iced mochas , taken to -go- which came to $9.00 and you each added homemade organic whipped cream with our homemade vanilla syrup which added an additional $2.00 to your bill. I must agree our service was slower than usual during the PGA tournament week and we sincerely apologize.; whenever we have lines out the door we try to advise that service may take longer, again my apologies if this was not done. I hope that you give us another try and that we make you a happy customer!