“Would eat my last meal here” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Good for: Romance, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Cleveland, OH
“Would eat my last meal here”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2009

Over time, Julian's became my favorite restaurant and I've eaten all over the world. Although imperious, the owner/chef/raconteur Steven Jackendorff is a delight once you understand his committment to his restaurant and his craft. Although occassionally betrayed by the desserts provided by a local bakery (stick wtih the Mousse), I have had trouble just getting past the apps. His mushroom soup is a creamy delight, and when their is lobster bisque on the menu I always recommend it. Many meals were spent with just a glass (or more) of wine (selected by Steven) and the marinated peppers/mozzarella/soprasetta anitpasti plate. The steak was always prepared perfectly, but don't ask for a a steak knife, you won't need it. Each year Steven will bring back a few new items from his travels to Italy/China and who knows where the future will take him. Most impressive wine selection in town and Steven is good at targeting for value when he selects wine--don't trust the menu, trust the man who picked the wines he carries. As I said in the title line, I would eat my last meal there (lots of soup, peppers and probably the bolognese) and end with a dark cup of coffee and a choca-mocha mousse and die a happy man.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

WV
“A bit of a disappointment”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2008

My husband and I had reservations on Sunday, October 19, our reservations were at 5:30. When we arrived, the owner said 'your table is there in the corner' and just pointed, no one else was in the restaurant and when we left only one other couple was there. Our corner table felt quite small and cramped, we were right against a wall, there were pictures hanging everywhere, I'm assuming from his world travels, but the picture right beside me had a dark curly hair hanging from it! That was bad enough, but I tried to put that aside, and enjoy my meal.

First we thought about ordering appetizers, but it was a strange menu, the 'appetizers' were just one thing, like 'roasted red peppers $6.00, or Italian meats $8.00, or Italian cheese $8.00, in other words you'd have to order at least two or three to actually have an appetizer that you'd enjoy. So we skipped the appetizers. Also, salad does not come with your meal, which always bothers me, we did not order the salad. My husband ordered from the menu and got a scallop dish with a white wine sauce served over rice, it also came with sauteed kale. I ordered from one of the specials our server mentioned, it was a chicken breast with a plum chipotle sauce served over rice. My husband's scallop dish was quite good, although one scallop had some grit in it, but the sauce was delicious. My small grilled chicken breast with the plum chipotle sauce was average at best, I could have easily have made this at home, the sauce just had a plum taste, I could not discern any taste of chipotles, and for $15 I was quite disappointed. My meal also came with the sauteed kale and I'll have to admit the kale was very good, never thought I liked kale, but this was delicious---better than the chicken I had. They also brought two small cold sour dough rolls with our dinner, ho hum! The service was good and attentive, but for the price, my husband and I both agree that we much prefer Food and Friends restaurant.

So to sum up our experience, it wasn't terrible by any means, but we were also not impressed and we will not be going back anytime soon.

copelandhill
“Wonderful Food and Ambience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2008

Wonderful place. Stephen, the owner/chef/somilier/maître d'hôtel has it all. Quality is exceptional and value is evident.

Richmond, Virginia
“A real gem in Historic Lewisburg”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2008

This is on one of the side streets in historic Lewisburg, WV and is well worth the extra couple minutes to find it. This is a small, intimate restaurant with much personal service and attention. However, people dress relatively casually.
Entrees were around $20 and the food was delicious. Good selection of wines. My husband especially liked the dessert tray that was brought after the meal.
We had a lovely, fun meal. Make a reservation as this restaurant fills up quickly.

west virginia
“The best in Lewisberg”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2008

Julian's is the place to go in Lewisberg. The restaurant is located in a renovated turn of the century house. The interior is quant, a bistro style setting. The wait staff is excellant. The owner is the chef, who travels the world for great new dishes. He has been in business at the same location for 16 years. The food is eclectic a combination of Italian, steak and seafood. His Bolognese sauce is as good as you get in Milan! The owner is involved in the total experience of his guests. He greets and bids everyone a fond farewell. The wine list is superb and quality recommendations of wine will be matched to your food selection. The best of the best!