“A bit of a disappointment” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American, French, Italian, Mediterranean
Good for: Romance, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
WV
“A bit of a disappointment”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2008

My husband and I had reservations on Sunday, October 19, our reservations were at 5:30. When we arrived, the owner said 'your table is there in the corner' and just pointed, no one else was in the restaurant and when we left only one other couple was there. Our corner table felt quite small and cramped, we were right against a wall, there were pictures hanging everywhere, I'm assuming from his world travels, but the picture right beside me had a dark curly hair hanging from it! That was bad enough, but I tried to put that aside, and enjoy my meal.

First we thought about ordering appetizers, but it was a strange menu, the 'appetizers' were just one thing, like 'roasted red peppers $6.00, or Italian meats $8.00, or Italian cheese $8.00, in other words you'd have to order at least two or three to actually have an appetizer that you'd enjoy. So we skipped the appetizers. Also, salad does not come with your meal, which always bothers me, we did not order the salad. My husband ordered from the menu and got a scallop dish with a white wine sauce served over rice, it also came with sauteed kale. I ordered from one of the specials our server mentioned, it was a chicken breast with a plum chipotle sauce served over rice. My husband's scallop dish was quite good, although one scallop had some grit in it, but the sauce was delicious. My small grilled chicken breast with the plum chipotle sauce was average at best, I could have easily have made this at home, the sauce just had a plum taste, I could not discern any taste of chipotles, and for $15 I was quite disappointed. My meal also came with the sauteed kale and I'll have to admit the kale was very good, never thought I liked kale, but this was delicious---better than the chicken I had. They also brought two small cold sour dough rolls with our dinner, ho hum! The service was good and attentive, but for the price, my husband and I both agree that we much prefer Food and Friends restaurant.

So to sum up our experience, it wasn't terrible by any means, but we were also not impressed and we will not be going back anytime soon.

80% Recommend
copelandhill
“Wonderful Food and Ambience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2008

Wonderful place. Stephen, the owner/chef/somilier/maître d'hôtel has it all. Quality is exceptional and value is evident.

Richmond, Virginia
“A real gem in Historic Lewisburg”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2008

This is on one of the side streets in historic Lewisburg, WV and is well worth the extra couple minutes to find it. This is a small, intimate restaurant with much personal service and attention. However, people dress relatively casually.
Entrees were around $20 and the food was delicious. Good selection of wines. My husband especially liked the dessert tray that was brought after the meal.
We had a lovely, fun meal. Make a reservation as this restaurant fills up quickly.

west virginia
“The best in Lewisberg”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2008

Julian's is the place to go in Lewisberg. The restaurant is located in a renovated turn of the century house. The interior is quant, a bistro style setting. The wait staff is excellant. The owner is the chef, who travels the world for great new dishes. He has been in business at the same location for 16 years. The food is eclectic a combination of Italian, steak and seafood. His Bolognese sauce is as good as you get in Milan! The owner is involved in the total experience of his guests. He greets and bids everyone a fond farewell. The wine list is superb and quality recommendations of wine will be matched to your food selection. The best of the best!

WV
“Average food”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2007

We've eaten at Julian's twice since moving to the Lewisburg area. It is tucked into a side street in a turn-of-the-century home converted to the restaurant. The interior has cantaloupe colored walls with photographs and strings of lights. It is reminiscent of restaurants in college towns frequented by students and faculty. Very different and fun. It is a small space so reservations are advised for dinner. The food theme wanders close to Italian but is mostly eclectic. The wait staff is excellent and friendly. Interesting wine list and they are willing to provide recommendations. The food on both occasions was average. Fresh tomato and basil salad suffered from having been marinated in vinaigrette too long. The mushroom soup was flavorful but was just cream and sliced mushrooms. Our main courses (fish) were expertly cooked but suffered from poorly executed and flavorless sauces. Desserts come from a local bakery and are medicore. The owner, Stephen, on both occasions frequented the dining rooms soliciting positive recommendations from diners about the food. He also is the chef although we couldn't figure out how he could be cooking given the large amount of time he spent in the dining room. On the first occasion we found these intrusions annoying. On the second visit (with friends, one of whom is a restaurant critic) the owner was belligerent. He assumed we wouldn't like the food and repeatedly visited the table attemtping to pick a fight. It made for an unpleasant evening that even great food couldn't make up for. We pity the poor diner that honestly shares a negative impression of the food and shares it with the owner. There are other good restaurants in Lewisburg and I would avoid this one.