“it was a delightful step back in time...” 5 of 5 stars
Review of General Lewis Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Lewisburg
General Lewis Inn
301 East Washington Street, Lewisburg, WV 24901   |
Ranked #1 of 6 Lewisburg B&B and Inns
Charleston, West Virginia
“it was a delightful step back in time...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2009

it was a wonderfully furnished museum like hotel with lots of authentic period charm.
the service was amazing and the staff was friendly.
the general lewis is convenient to everything greenbrier county and should not be missed by any visitor to the area..

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple

175 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Oxford OH
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2009

We have stayed at the General Lewis several times and have never been disappointed. Everything is clean and comfortable. The people are always warm and inviting. And the dining is great for any meal. Our favorite time is a glass of wine on the porch after dinner.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Columbus
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2009

The staff was great, food was excellent, I will come back to see the city

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
Virginia Beach
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2009

Love the General Lewis Inn. I have been staying here for years while visiting WVSOM and it's always a pleasure. The rooms and service are delightful and I love the restaurant for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
St. Albans, WV
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2009

The bed was one of the most comfortable in which I've slept while traveling. I loved the ambiance. The dining experience was wonderful. The staff, both in the restaurant and at the main desk, were great. Very hospitable. My only complaint with the room (118) is the faux painting on the moldings in the bathroom. Absolutely terrible and not consistent with the integrity of the period of the inn. "If it were my inn" I would either replace with stained wood or just paint the existing molding white.

Also, we were once seated in the restaurant by a window that was filled with glass pieces on shelves. From a distance it was very pretty. However, sitting next to it revealed that most pieces were chipped or cracked and all were dirty.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2009

My wife and I were guests at the inn in Jan. This is part of a long-standing love affair with WV, Lewisburg...and mostly, this inn. We intended to drive to Asheville, NC, after spending a couple of days in the area.

We love the atmosphere they have created, the sense of place they give us, blending great history with exceptional service, cozy rooms and one of the most charming dining rooms anywhere!

Unfortunately, my wife....a stroke survivor....fell downtown during this visit. We came back to the inn but the pain slowly increased and we finally ended up having to be taken by ambulance to the hospital, where we were also treated royally.

The hip was broken, but the fracture (disguised as an old injury) was not apparent for another week or so. During our stay we experienced some of the best and most sincere customer service we have encountered anywhere in the world. All of the staff....directed during our stay by Helen....were nothing short of terrific.

I know this comes directly from the "corporate culture" as they call it, or more precisely, the owner innkeepers. This is the sort of hospitality sorely missing in most hostelries and the reason for the great success of independent properties such as this.

There was not one detail missed, not one kindness left out, not one hand left unextended in the attempt to make Mary comfortable and our stay memorable.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
Hereford, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2008

I stayed at this Inn as part of a much larger trip so I stayed at a variety of places while in West Virginia and this was one of the best.

Yes, the building is older, built pre-Civil War. Yes, it's not the Marriott or the Hilton. No, the rooms aren't as large as the aforementioned places. But...

The Inn sits in the middle of one of the most unique battlefields from the Civil War. It is picturesque and the owners take great care is keeping it looking good, inside and out, all year round with both landscaping and seasonal decorations.

I stayed in a queen bed room. Each room has a private bath and some of the most comfortable beds found anywhere, so full and fluffy, I couldn't wait to go to bed.

I did not stay in the "haunted part" of the hotel and that was fine with me, having already spent more than my share of nights in haunted locations. However, there was "something" that happened on the stairs leading to the entryway but I'll let that stay a surprise for any subsequent guests.

I also ate in the dining room and found the food to be some of the best found anywhere. I had the scallops dish and I could swear they were absolutely fresh, probably from the Chesapeake Bay.

In the morning, I was surprised and delighted to see a sitting room filled with people happily chatting as they drank complimentary coffee and tea.

The ambiance of the entire inn was one of comfort, friendliness and welcome. I never felt so at home, nor did I feel as lost in time, as I did at the General Lewis Inn.

I would recommend this inn for a week or a weekend. The inn is also centrally located to a number of historical and local attractions.

• Liked — The overall appearance of the Inn, so historical, so warm and inviting
  • Disliked — Um, can't think of anything bad about the place
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to General Lewis Inn? Share your experiences!