“We'll be back.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of General Lewis Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Lewisburg
General Lewis Inn
Save Saved
You added General Lewis Inn to your Saves list
301 East Washington Street, Lewisburg, WV 24901   |
Ranked #1 of 6 Lewisburg B&B and Inns
St. Albans, WV
“We'll be back.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2009

The bed was one of the most comfortable in which I've slept while traveling. I loved the ambiance. The dining experience was wonderful. The staff, both in the restaurant and at the main desk, were great. Very hospitable. My only complaint with the room (118) is the faux painting on the moldings in the bathroom. Absolutely terrible and not consistent with the integrity of the period of the inn. "If it were my inn" I would either replace with stained wood or just paint the existing molding white.

Also, we were once seated in the restaurant by a window that was filled with glass pieces on shelves. From a distance it was very pretty. However, sitting next to it revealed that most pieces were chipped or cracked and all were dirty.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2009

My wife and I were guests at the inn in Jan. This is part of a long-standing love affair with WV, Lewisburg...and mostly, this inn. We intended to drive to Asheville, NC, after spending a couple of days in the area.

We love the atmosphere they have created, the sense of place they give us, blending great history with exceptional service, cozy rooms and one of the most charming dining rooms anywhere!

Unfortunately, my wife....a stroke survivor....fell downtown during this visit. We came back to the inn but the pain slowly increased and we finally ended up having to be taken by ambulance to the hospital, where we were also treated royally.

The hip was broken, but the fracture (disguised as an old injury) was not apparent for another week or so. During our stay we experienced some of the best and most sincere customer service we have encountered anywhere in the world. All of the staff....directed during our stay by Helen....were nothing short of terrific.

I know this comes directly from the "corporate culture" as they call it, or more precisely, the owner innkeepers. This is the sort of hospitality sorely missing in most hostelries and the reason for the great success of independent properties such as this.

There was not one detail missed, not one kindness left out, not one hand left unextended in the attempt to make Mary comfortable and our stay memorable.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
Hereford, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2008

I stayed at this Inn as part of a much larger trip so I stayed at a variety of places while in West Virginia and this was one of the best.

Yes, the building is older, built pre-Civil War. Yes, it's not the Marriott or the Hilton. No, the rooms aren't as large as the aforementioned places. But...

The Inn sits in the middle of one of the most unique battlefields from the Civil War. It is picturesque and the owners take great care is keeping it looking good, inside and out, all year round with both landscaping and seasonal decorations.

I stayed in a queen bed room. Each room has a private bath and some of the most comfortable beds found anywhere, so full and fluffy, I couldn't wait to go to bed.

I did not stay in the "haunted part" of the hotel and that was fine with me, having already spent more than my share of nights in haunted locations. However, there was "something" that happened on the stairs leading to the entryway but I'll let that stay a surprise for any subsequent guests.

I also ate in the dining room and found the food to be some of the best found anywhere. I had the scallops dish and I could swear they were absolutely fresh, probably from the Chesapeake Bay.

In the morning, I was surprised and delighted to see a sitting room filled with people happily chatting as they drank complimentary coffee and tea.

The ambiance of the entire inn was one of comfort, friendliness and welcome. I never felt so at home, nor did I feel as lost in time, as I did at the General Lewis Inn.

I would recommend this inn for a week or a weekend. The inn is also centrally located to a number of historical and local attractions.

• Liked — The overall appearance of the Inn, so historical, so warm and inviting
  • Disliked — Um, can't think of anything bad about the place
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Southern California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2008

We stayed at the General Lewis last week of September, and loved it. The feel of the place is very much like staying in a gracious old home, because the staff leave the unoccupied rooms open and guests are welcome to wander in and out of them and look around. When you're in your room with the door open, other guests will say hello, and everyone was so friendly - it did not feel like a hotel, but instead had a warm, personal atmosphere.

Our room was extremely comfortable - the double beds were wonderful - and furnished with antiques, which gave the room incredible charm. Each room has a small electric candle in the window, and at night, when the place is lit up from inside, they give the impression of stopping back in time. The entire inn is packed chock-full of old antiques, artifacts, and memorabilia illustrating the history of the place and the region.

Location is good - if we had not been so tired, we probably would have set out on foot to see Lewisburg. As it was, we were exhausted and in fact had not made dinner reservations at the Inn, and did not feel like worrying about how to dress, so we ordered room service. The food was absolutely delicious, the service exceptional.

All in all, a charming, friendly place for a very reasonable price; loved all the touches, like the giant porch with rockers and the brass key tags. I will definitely go back.

• Liked — Steeped in history and culture, excellent service
  • Disliked — Not enough time to see everything in the area
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2007

The General Lewis Inn was absolutely fantastic. We got there late and the person behind the counter offered to help us with our luggage. We were tired and didn't need the help, but it was nice of her to offer. The hotel is non-smoking, but there are areas in the garden that accomodate a smoker. Our room was large with a sitting area. The bed was comfy. The bathroom was a bit small...room enough for one... but that is understandable in older Inns. The room and bathroom were immaculately clean. The garden was beautiful and very relaxing. We choose the Garden Queen room and had a lovely view of the garden and well manicured grounds. We had breakfast in the dining room the next morning at the Inn and the food was tasty and nicely served. We enjoyed walking in the town of Lewisburg. The town is quaint with lots of cozy eateries and shops. I would recommend the Inn in to anyone who wants a lovely getaway weekend.

• Liked — Beautiful antique rooms
  • Disliked — Nothing.
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2007

We were visiting the US and were travelling around the East Coast / Midwest by road. Between Washington DC and Cincinnati, we picked this as our stopover point and the opportunity to get a little bit of a feel for non-big city USA.

The General Lewis Inn delivered everything we were after. The staff we dealt with by email were very helpful and so they were in person also on our arrival. The Inn was as pretty as the pictures on the internet and for us visitors to the US it was a great thrill to stay in place with the big white columns out the front and rocking chairs on the porch.

The rooms are largely and lovingly furnished in period pieces. The beds were comfortable and the ambience was delightful. We ate in the restaurant and had a great meal - and an even better breakfast the following morning. My wife tried "grits" for the first time.

The location was easy to find and the place was great - exactly what we were after and we were so glad we chose this place to stay. Unfortunately, our timetable did not allow us to spend much time looking around the town other than a quick walk-through, but it is a quaint little town.

Highly recommended.

• Liked — Old world ambience
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
Athens, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2005

My husband and I and another couple stayed at the General Lewis Inn in mid October, and we loved it.

ATMOSPHERE: The Inn oozes with atmosphere. There is lots to look at (tons of gorgeous antiques everywhere), and the "living room" was very comfortable and homey. We had drinks in front of the fireplace before dinner and coffee there in the morning while we read the paper.

COST: Our small room in the old part of the inn was $120 plus tax. I thought we got what we paid for, but my husband thought it was too expensive. He's a Super 8 kind of guy, though. Our friends had a "Garden Room" and it was $140.00. It looked out onto the lovely back lawn and gardens. Their bathroom was absolutely tiny. But they were happy anyway.

THE ROOM: We were lucky to get a reservation at alll, I think. We called a week or so ahead of our arrival and they only had two rooms left. Our room was small, and the bathroom was small, too, but it was adequate. I had no complaints about the room. It was very clean, which is most important to me. There are a few rooms with two double beds and even a family suite.

FOOD: We had dinner and breakfast in the dining room. The service was excellent for both meals. The food was average to slightly better than average in quality, but it wasn't outrageously expensive, either. The dining room is relatively small ( I think it seated around 40 or so) but the atmosphere is nice.

THE GARDEN: When we first arrived, it was lunchtime. We had packed a picnic and wanted to go to a park to eat it, but there were no local parks (!) so they let us eat our picnic on the lawn behind the Inn. We enjoyed it immensely.

THE TOWN; The Inn is on a hill, within walking distance of the downtown area, which is very nice. We walked downtown after we arrived and shopped. I am a super shopper and I found things that I had not seen elsewhere. Then early the next morning, my husband and I took a walk around the residential area. The whole downtown area is a historic area. Later we drove around the town and countryside. The town is just beautiful and the countryside is like a postcard.

OTHER: Everyone at the General Lewis Inn is so friendly. If you call and ask, they will send you a very nice brochure.

• Stayed October 2005

Been to General Lewis Inn? Share your experiences!