“One Night Wonder-ful” 5 of 5 stars
Review of General Lewis Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Lewisburg
General Lewis Inn
Save Saved
You added General Lewis Inn to your Saves list
301 East Washington Street, Lewisburg, WV 24901   |
Ranked #1 of 6 Lewisburg B&B and Inns
Hampton
“One Night Wonder-ful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

We stayed here on our way back to Hampton, VA from a week long motoring tour with the National Corvette Museum in Bowling Green, KY. Our tour ended in Lawrenceburg, KY, and I just picked a stopping point about half way home. The General Lewis Inn was very nice and the staff most accommodating. Our only problem with the room was the A/C was not working, and the staff could not move us as the inn was full. Ceiling fan helped us through the night. Breakfast the next morning was fabulous, and the manager adjusted our bill for the A/C

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
NoNameCanyon, Owner at General Lewis Inn, responded to this review, October 9, 2013
Dear Friends, Thanks so much for posting your kind words on Trip Advisor. Again, sorry about the air conditioning unit. We hope your travels will bring you our way again!. Nan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Roanoke, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

I've stayed in the General Lewis at least four times and considered it a lovely getaway each time. I love that you can walk upstairs, look in doors, and choose your antique-filled room for the night. Each room is different. I love that the windows can be opened for fresh air and that pillows come in different fluff levels. I love the wonderful food smells that waft up the stairs. There is so much to do just blocks away -- an Irish pub with Irish music, the Livery restaurant and its singers, at least four antique shops, four art galleries, Carnegie Hall, Greenbrier Valley Theatre, Trillium dance performances or movies in the Lewis Theatre, North House Museum, and lots of great restaurants and shops.
And oh yes, the staff is friendly too.

Room Tip: back is even quieter. Ghost is supposed to be on the east wing, but I've never met her.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
NoNameCanyon, Owner at General Lewis Inn, responded to this review, September 25, 2013
Thanks for the great Trip Advisor Review. Glad that you mentioned all the attractions within walking distance. We think that's a real plus having this location. Lewisburg continues to get more and more attractions within this 6 block area. Hope you'll be back again soon. Nan
Warrenton, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Lovely, old, historic Inn. Staff is simply wonderful. Parking quite adequate and convenient, the Inn is just outside of the town, and well within walking distance to neat old neighborhoods, the Farmer's Market, and other historic buildings and eateries. My husband and I stayed in the double-room suite, on our first visit. I asked when booking about storage (we are Living Historians and my hoops need room!) and, with the nominal charge for the larger option we reserved it. The hallway leading to the first-floor suite was full of antiques, and might account for the powerful scent of mildew that greeted us when opening the door to our suite. It was a large blemish on our experience. The small, simple bathroom did not seem up to the task of being on the same level as the rest of the Inn. The antique beds were very comfortable, however, one bed near the wall a/c unit had quite a cold blast from the unit-I stuffed pillows along that side. Breakfast was divine, Southern, and extremely inexpensive for the quality. Fresh, garden flowers accented the pretty chintz table cloth toppers and fabric napkins. In fact, the cost of staying here is very reasonable! We decided to go home one night early, and they were most accommodating - no problem! We never did get around to rocking in the chairs on the front porch - will save this for another visit. Top quality service!

Room Tip: Rooms are small, limited closet room. First floor is quite acceptable. Ask questions before reservin...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
NoNameCanyon, Owner at General Lewis Inn, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
Dear Friends, We were indeed lucky to have the Governor and his Wife as guests here at the Inn. Droop Mountain Battlefield was an historic moment for our area. Thank you for adding to the honors done for the soldiers who fought there.

Thank you also for the information that we can use to get our Inn in better shape. We are addressing the pitfalls of humid weather and air conditioners this afternoon.

It is wonderful to hear that you enjoyed our staff and dining room. Thanks to Trip Advisor for providing this forum for us all.
Sincerely, Nan Morgan
Charleston, West Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

I have stayed at the General Lewis many times, and have always been pleased. This time was no different. Summer is the perfect time to visit Lewisburg, and the gardens at the Inn are beautiful. The rooms are simply charming. You can pick out your own room if you like. Inn policy is that if the door is open, you may go in and take a peek! This Inn was furnished in furniture that was considered antique back in the 1920's and is still in use in the rooms, but it is anything but stuffy. My room had a large rope bed that had been modified to fit a modern mattress. the sink was in the bedroom and the bathroom had a large old cast iron tub. Some of the bathrooms are small, but they are charming. They do have handicap accessible rooms upon request.The rooms are lovely, and are very clean. Because of the age of the Inn, each room is different in size and layout. I love the first floor, garden view rooms down the left hall; but the upstairs rooms are lovely. There is a charming sitting room with a fireplace, and furnished with antiques off of the lobby. This room is well-stocked with games and puzzles. The dining room is truly a delight.Vintage glassware is everywhere, and the food is delicious! For breakfast this time, I had the western omelet (huge), fried potatoes, & biscuits ($8.95). The General Lewis is truly a step back into a gentler, peaceful era. You will not be disappointed!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
NoNameCanyon, Owner at General Lewis Inn, responded to this review, August 10, 2013
Oh, what a wonderful Review! Thank you so much for noticing so many things about our Inn. We truly appreciate your taking the time. Sincerely, Nan
Hurricane, West Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

We've stayed at The General Lewis many times over the last 25 years and have never been disappointed. Very convenient to the many antique shops, museum, eateries, cavern tours, and a wonderful winery. The staff was attentive and made us feel like we were visiting good friends. Free wifi if you need it, but we were too busy with other activities to even pick up the iPad! Our room was one of the smaller rooms, but was all we needed to relax, read, or watch TV. We had breakfast both mornings and dinner on Saturday evening. Our waiter was fantastic and made sure everything was to our liking. The garden with all the gorgeous flowers and a koi pond were relaxing, as well. I highly recommend you enjoy this quaint piece of Lewisburg history! Truly a gem!

Room Tip: If you have issues with some light noise from the living room/dining and can handle stairs, then the...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for writing such nice things about the Inn. I'll be sure to tell Paula, Alice and Mike about the comments on the Garden. All three of them work very hard to keep it looking so beautiful, especially keeping the pond up for the fish!!!
Staunton, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

We only live a little over an hour away. We've stayed at the General Lewis several times. It is a wonderful B & B. You cannot beat the location and the staff could not be more helpful. I always recommend it to friends.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
NoNameCanyon, Owner at General Lewis Inn, responded to this review, August 11, 2013
Dear Canadian Friends. Thank you for the great TripAdvisor recommendation! It's especially fun when our international friends can recommend us. Looking forward to having you as guests again, all three of you make wonderful guests. Sincerely, Nan
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

I have been visiting the General Lewis Inn for the past few years now and every time I return, my blood pressure goes down and I feel lifted into a sort of Nirvana taking me back through pages of history. With an abundance of presence in every room and an energy exuding from every antique not to mention the sound of Bach in the parlor, I am carried away from the stress of every day life into civility and splendor. Elizabeth has worked in the Inn's restaurant for many years and her laughter is infectious. Her bright eyes and smile fill my memory and the inn with harmony. Nan Morgan who is the present owner dating back to the inn’s beginning through her family history is truly lovely and proudly walks up to a family portrait of her parents when they were married at to explain to some guests who are planning their wedding at the Inn that her mother's wedding dress can be found in a museum of history. The homemade biscuits and brewed morning coffee compliment a start to my day after a peaceful and cozy night sleep in one of the inn’s many rooms. With a definite colonial feel, the hardwood floors in my bedroom and high bed with a lemon chiffon quilt are extraordinarily highlighted through the soft light from the candle in my window. I fall asleep after reading my favorite magazine and watching a film. Into the silence I drift under the crisp clean sheets until the sun comes up. In the morning the General Lewis Inn can be admired as a picture perfect building and at night with the candlelit lights in every window, I can almost hear General Lewis himself riding up to the front of the Inn in his carriage, horses hooves upon a piece of historic land of this beautiful State. I escape to the General Lewis Inn for more reasons than one and am reminded of this every time!

Room Tip: Double rooms are lovely but Queen rooms are my favourite!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
How very kind of you to write such a glowing review! As you may know the reference "our creaky old Inn" is how we think of it! Thank you! Warm regards, Nan

Been to General Lewis Inn? Share your experiences!