“Charming, Historical Getaway” 5 of 5 stars
Review of General Lewis Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Lewisburg
General Lewis Inn
301 East Washington Street, Lewisburg, WV 24901   |
Ranked #1 of 6 Lewisburg B&B and Inns
Charleston, West Virginia
“Charming, Historical Getaway”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

I have stayed at the General Lewis many times, and have always been pleased. This time was no different. Summer is the perfect time to visit Lewisburg, and the gardens at the Inn are beautiful. The rooms are simply charming. You can pick out your own room if you like. Inn policy is that if the door is open, you may go in and take a peek! This Inn was furnished in furniture that was considered antique back in the 1920's and is still in use in the rooms, but it is anything but stuffy. My room had a large rope bed that had been modified to fit a modern mattress. the sink was in the bedroom and the bathroom had a large old cast iron tub. Some of the bathrooms are small, but they are charming. They do have handicap accessible rooms upon request.The rooms are lovely, and are very clean. Because of the age of the Inn, each room is different in size and layout. I love the first floor, garden view rooms down the left hall; but the upstairs rooms are lovely. There is a charming sitting room with a fireplace, and furnished with antiques off of the lobby. This room is well-stocked with games and puzzles. The dining room is truly a delight.Vintage glassware is everywhere, and the food is delicious! For breakfast this time, I had the western omelet (huge), fried potatoes, & biscuits ($8.95). The General Lewis is truly a step back into a gentler, peaceful era. You will not be disappointed!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
NoNameCanyon, Owner at General Lewis Inn, responded to this review, August 10, 2013
Oh, what a wonderful Review! Thank you so much for noticing so many things about our Inn. We truly appreciate your taking the time. Sincerely, Nan

176 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Hurricane, West Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

We've stayed at The General Lewis many times over the last 25 years and have never been disappointed. Very convenient to the many antique shops, museum, eateries, cavern tours, and a wonderful winery. The staff was attentive and made us feel like we were visiting good friends. Free wifi if you need it, but we were too busy with other activities to even pick up the iPad! Our room was one of the smaller rooms, but was all we needed to relax, read, or watch TV. We had breakfast both mornings and dinner on Saturday evening. Our waiter was fantastic and made sure everything was to our liking. The garden with all the gorgeous flowers and a koi pond were relaxing, as well. I highly recommend you enjoy this quaint piece of Lewisburg history! Truly a gem!

Room Tip: If you have issues with some light noise from the living room/dining and can handle stairs, then the...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for writing such nice things about the Inn. I'll be sure to tell Paula, Alice and Mike about the comments on the Garden. All three of them work very hard to keep it looking so beautiful, especially keeping the pond up for the fish!!!
Staunton, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

We only live a little over an hour away. We've stayed at the General Lewis several times. It is a wonderful B & B. You cannot beat the location and the staff could not be more helpful. I always recommend it to friends.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
NoNameCanyon, Owner at General Lewis Inn, responded to this review, August 11, 2013
Dear Canadian Friends. Thank you for the great TripAdvisor recommendation! It's especially fun when our international friends can recommend us. Looking forward to having you as guests again, all three of you make wonderful guests. Sincerely, Nan
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

I have been visiting the General Lewis Inn for the past few years now and every time I return, my blood pressure goes down and I feel lifted into a sort of Nirvana taking me back through pages of history. With an abundance of presence in every room and an energy exuding from every antique not to mention the sound of Bach in the parlor, I am carried away from the stress of every day life into civility and splendor. Elizabeth has worked in the Inn's restaurant for many years and her laughter is infectious. Her bright eyes and smile fill my memory and the inn with harmony. Nan Morgan who is the present owner dating back to the inn’s beginning through her family history is truly lovely and proudly walks up to a family portrait of her parents when they were married at to explain to some guests who are planning their wedding at the Inn that her mother's wedding dress can be found in a museum of history. The homemade biscuits and brewed morning coffee compliment a start to my day after a peaceful and cozy night sleep in one of the inn’s many rooms. With a definite colonial feel, the hardwood floors in my bedroom and high bed with a lemon chiffon quilt are extraordinarily highlighted through the soft light from the candle in my window. I fall asleep after reading my favorite magazine and watching a film. Into the silence I drift under the crisp clean sheets until the sun comes up. In the morning the General Lewis Inn can be admired as a picture perfect building and at night with the candlelit lights in every window, I can almost hear General Lewis himself riding up to the front of the Inn in his carriage, horses hooves upon a piece of historic land of this beautiful State. I escape to the General Lewis Inn for more reasons than one and am reminded of this every time!

Room Tip: Double rooms are lovely but Queen rooms are my favourite!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
How very kind of you to write such a glowing review! As you may know the reference "our creaky old Inn" is how we think of it! Thank you! Warm regards, Nan
Charleston, West Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

Everything from check-in to check-out was perfect. Staff was exceptionally courteous and helpful; room was spotless; and, amenities far exceeded expectations. Such a quaint hotel but modern needs are met, as well. I would not stay anywhere else when in the Lewisburg area.

Room Tip: No elevator so if you have a lot of luggage opt for first floor room.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
NoNameCanyon, Owner at General Lewis Inn, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
How kind of you to post your review on Trip Advisor. It is a pleasure to know that you had a good visit with us. Thank you from Nan and All the Staff here.
Charlottesville, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

I've pondered this review for awhile. Fifty five years ago I stayed at this Inn with my family. I was 6. The "life-sized" doll house in the back, several white gloved waiters at every table,were awesome to a little girl. Going back as an adult was different.
To be fair, for an historical inn to be as neat and clean and relatively unchanged, except for a few updates, it is still very cool. However, from the recent glowing reviews about the staff, I expected more. We were barely greeted upon arrival, asked if we had stayed there before and when we said yes, we were confirmed for our meals, handed our keys & that was that. We toted our own luggage up the stairs (don't bring too much)
Yes, some staff were friendlier than others. Some cordial, others seemed not to notice we were there. They all seemed pretty busy & tired. Well, I really won't go on and on. But, yes, I was disappointed. Maybe I expected too much. Maybe being left alone is what most people want. Maybe they don't want to be asked, "Is there anything I can do or get for you?"
There was confusion with the reservation. When I saw(on line) the availability of and wanted an additional room I called the Inn. I was told the entire weekend was booked. Then, I hung up, reserved the room on line & got the extra room. Wierd.
Would I go back? Yes. Would I expect to be treated "extra special?" No. It is what it is. A cross between a B&B and a small hotel.
But, ahh, to be 6 again...
P.S. I believe "Nan" reads these reviews. Wish she would have introduced herself to us as she did some guests. It would have made a difference (We were there all weekend and ate all our meals there.) Oh yes, food was delicious.

Room Tip: Upstairs is quieter although 206,208 above kitchen & dining room.(Chatter and laughter, etc.) Qu...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear Friends, How grateful we are to hear about your stay with us. We have the opportunity to make changes and make sure that your next visit WILL exceed or meet the memory of your visits over all these years. Thank you.
Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

A very nice historic inn with great atmosphere. The hallways and rooms were spotless. As some prior reviewers have stated, the bathrooms could use an update. Our servers for dinner and breakfast were friendly and personable and the food was very good - my husband especially enjoyed the fried chicken. I would say the cost is a bit high and would recommend that breakfast be included in the price to make the value more comparable with other nice B&B's we have visited.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for posting on Trip Advisor. We've considered including the breakfast in the cost of the room and your posting will help us to reconsider, especially with the cost of lodging
(as you say) being on the high-end. Hope you'll come back for a visit again soon. Sincerely, Nan.

Been to General Lewis Inn? Share your experiences!