“History Brought Back to Life!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of General Lewis Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Lewisburg
General Lewis Inn
301 East Washington Street, Lewisburg, WV 24901   |
Ranked #1 of 6 Lewisburg B&B and Inns
Toronto, Canada
“History Brought Back to Life!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

I have been visiting the General Lewis Inn for the past few years now and every time I return, my blood pressure goes down and I feel lifted into a sort of Nirvana taking me back through pages of history. With an abundance of presence in every room and an energy exuding from every antique not to mention the sound of Bach in the parlor, I am carried away from the stress of every day life into civility and splendor. Elizabeth has worked in the Inn's restaurant for many years and her laughter is infectious. Her bright eyes and smile fill my memory and the inn with harmony. Nan Morgan who is the present owner dating back to the inn’s beginning through her family history is truly lovely and proudly walks up to a family portrait of her parents when they were married at to explain to some guests who are planning their wedding at the Inn that her mother's wedding dress can be found in a museum of history. The homemade biscuits and brewed morning coffee compliment a start to my day after a peaceful and cozy night sleep in one of the inn’s many rooms. With a definite colonial feel, the hardwood floors in my bedroom and high bed with a lemon chiffon quilt are extraordinarily highlighted through the soft light from the candle in my window. I fall asleep after reading my favorite magazine and watching a film. Into the silence I drift under the crisp clean sheets until the sun comes up. In the morning the General Lewis Inn can be admired as a picture perfect building and at night with the candlelit lights in every window, I can almost hear General Lewis himself riding up to the front of the Inn in his carriage, horses hooves upon a piece of historic land of this beautiful State. I escape to the General Lewis Inn for more reasons than one and am reminded of this every time!

Room Tip: Double rooms are lovely but Queen rooms are my favourite!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
NoNameCanyon, Owner at General Lewis Inn, responded to this review, August 10, 2013
How very kind of you to write such a glowing review! As you may know the reference "our creaky old Inn" is how we think of it! Thank you! Warm regards, Nan

164 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Charleston, West Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

Everything from check-in to check-out was perfect. Staff was exceptionally courteous and helpful; room was spotless; and, amenities far exceeded expectations. Such a quaint hotel but modern needs are met, as well. I would not stay anywhere else when in the Lewisburg area.

Room Tip: No elevator so if you have a lot of luggage opt for first floor room.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
NoNameCanyon, Owner at General Lewis Inn, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
How kind of you to post your review on Trip Advisor. It is a pleasure to know that you had a good visit with us. Thank you from Nan and All the Staff here.
Charlottesville, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

I've pondered this review for awhile. Fifty five years ago I stayed at this Inn with my family. I was 6. The "life-sized" doll house in the back, several white gloved waiters at every table,were awesome to a little girl. Going back as an adult was different.
To be fair, for an historical inn to be as neat and clean and relatively unchanged, except for a few updates, it is still very cool. However, from the recent glowing reviews about the staff, I expected more. We were barely greeted upon arrival, asked if we had stayed there before and when we said yes, we were confirmed for our meals, handed our keys & that was that. We toted our own luggage up the stairs (don't bring too much)
Yes, some staff were friendlier than others. Some cordial, others seemed not to notice we were there. They all seemed pretty busy & tired. Well, I really won't go on and on. But, yes, I was disappointed. Maybe I expected too much. Maybe being left alone is what most people want. Maybe they don't want to be asked, "Is there anything I can do or get for you?"
There was confusion with the reservation. When I saw(on line) the availability of and wanted an additional room I called the Inn. I was told the entire weekend was booked. Then, I hung up, reserved the room on line & got the extra room. Wierd.
Would I go back? Yes. Would I expect to be treated "extra special?" No. It is what it is. A cross between a B&B and a small hotel.
But, ahh, to be 6 again...
P.S. I believe "Nan" reads these reviews. Wish she would have introduced herself to us as she did some guests. It would have made a difference (We were there all weekend and ate all our meals there.) Oh yes, food was delicious.

Room Tip: Upstairs is quieter although 206,208 above kitchen & dining room.(Chatter and laughter, etc.) Qu...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear Friends, How grateful we are to hear about your stay with us. We have the opportunity to make changes and make sure that your next visit WILL exceed or meet the memory of your visits over all these years. Thank you.
Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

A very nice historic inn with great atmosphere. The hallways and rooms were spotless. As some prior reviewers have stated, the bathrooms could use an update. Our servers for dinner and breakfast were friendly and personable and the food was very good - my husband especially enjoyed the fried chicken. I would say the cost is a bit high and would recommend that breakfast be included in the price to make the value more comparable with other nice B&B's we have visited.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for posting on Trip Advisor. We've considered including the breakfast in the cost of the room and your posting will help us to reconsider, especially with the cost of lodging
(as you say) being on the high-end. Hope you'll come back for a visit again soon. Sincerely, Nan.
Shepherdstown
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

We spent two nights at the Inn. The building is full of antiques that you are encouraged to look at. The doors are opened to guest rooms that are not occupied so you can go in and check them out. We thought this was really neat and it gave you the feeling that you were at someone's home as opposed to a hotel. Some of the room's bathrooms were very, very small, however, ours was fine. The Inn did have wi-if but it didn't work very well from our room. The fire alarm went off during our first night there and they took $20.00 off of our bill. I expected it to be more but I guess it's better than nothing. The Inn is very conveniently located to Old Town Lewisburg which is full of cute shops and restaurants. Almost everything was within walking distance. Breakfast is not included but is available in the restaurant on the premises. Overall, we enjoyed our stay and would recommend the General Lewis Inn.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
NoNameCanyon, Owner at General Lewis Inn, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
Dear Guests,

Thank you for your review. Especially liked "General-ly" good! Sorry that our $20 apology was not quite enough. That's a hard thing to gauge, whether money can even make up for a disrupted night at our creaky old Inn...we'll definitely remember your recommendation.
We enjoy hearing good things about, but the bad things are something we can work to change - so thank you for helping us get better.
Sincerely, Nan Morgan
Abingdon, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

My husband, a friend and I just spent 4 delightful nights at the General Lewis Inn in Lewisburg. I can't praise the staff enough. Upon arrival we were greeted with huge smiles and warm welcomes from the owner, I think. Our check-in was quick and efficient. Breakfast was not only delicious but the staff was right there to meet our every need. I'm sure dinner was awesome as well--we just didn't get back in time to enjoy participate. The history and collections were everywhere to enjoy and appreciate. Would we return? You bet!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
NoNameCanyon, Owner at General Lewis Inn, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
We love having our "Greenbrier Classic" guests! Thank you for your kind words about the Staff, the Inn and our "décor". It's hard to believe the PGA's already come and gone. We'll look forward to having you as our guests next year.
Nashville, Tennessee, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

We recently returned to Lewisburg for a memorial service and spent two days at the General Lewis Inn. The staff was great and made us feel welcome from the start. Our room for the first night was cozy and comfortable. After a long and stressful day at the memorial service, it was just what we needed. Brunch the next morning was delicious. Coleman saw to our table and kept us supplied with coffee and anything else we needed. We wanted to change to a larger room with a sitting area for our second day so we could spend time with family in a quiet setting. The front desk took care of everything. Housekeeping moved our bags to the larger room while we were out. Our family came and we have a delightful visit. They loved the room and Inn. The collection of historical items and prints are amazing. Our last morning we had a delightful breakfast, and again, Coleman saw that we had everything we needed. Even though we have family in Ronceverte that we usually stay with, we will definitely will plan to stay here again,

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
NoNameCanyon, Owner at General Lewis Inn, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Dear Tennessee Friends,

Thank you for your tripadvisor post. What a great review! Coleman celebrated his 20 year anniversary with us last month. He also celebrated the birth of his daughter, Kaleah, 6 months ago - a very busy man, yet he continually charms us all with his wonderful quirky personality.

We know that a Memorial for a loved one can be a stressful time and are pleased to know that you felt the hospitality needed at times like this here at the Inn.

Thank you again, Nan Morgan.

Been to General Lewis Inn? Share your experiences!