“Awesome Stay!!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of General Lewis Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Lewisburg
General Lewis Inn
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Awesome Stay!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2012

Originally posted in October 2011
My boyfriend and I just returned from a weekend at TGL Inn. I can't say enough good things about the place. We choose the Inn for its history and location in America's Coolest Small Town...a very deserved title! For Halloween weekend we decided to stay in room 206(one of the original rooms of the Inn and supposedly haunted). Though we didn't see any ghosts, we did have an incident where the alarm clock went off at 4:30 am. When I checked it, it wasn't set to go off until 6:30 am. ???

Though the Inn is not technically a bed and breakfast, the food is well worth the price! We had dinner there our second night, and our server, Michael was courteous and charming. He made us feel very welcome and took the time to ask a little about us. Service was quick, the food wonderful...and that evening, the staff all came out and announced that it was someone's second anniversary. We all sang "Happy Anniversary To You." It was SO cute. Moments later they announced it was someone else's Golden Anniversary and we sang the song to them! The next morning, before leaving, we decided to have breakfast and were seated at the same table as dinner the night before. We were surprised to see Michael there again, and he quickly recognized us and said hello. Our server in the morning was Lisa, also very sweet and lovely!

I wish I could remember the names of the ladies behind the front desk. They were all friendly and kind. I didn't realize coffee was only served until 9 am or so and my first morning, I went to get a cup. When I learned it was over, the woman at the front desk quickly offered to go get me a cup. She came back with a tray with a cup of coffee, sugar, and cream and let me take it all up to my room. You won't find that at a chain hotel!

Our room was spacious, very nicely decorated, and spotless. The whole Inn was super clean. The only negative I can say is that, yes, the heater is loud. But it didn't really bother us all that much.

We parked our car ther on Friday and didn't get into again until we left on Sunday morning. The town is just down the block with several antique shops, great restaurants, and art galleries as well as their own theater. The people in town were extremely friendly and would always ask where we were from and offer friendly tips. One shop owner told us to listen as we walked along the town street. She said u won't hear any horns beep...and it was true! No cars beeped angrily at another car, or someone trying to cross the street...instead, u received a smile or a friendly wave!!

Not to be missed....the main art gallery. There were so many awesome works to look at or purchase.

This was one of my favorite places and we'll definitely be back. Thank you Lewisburg and TGL Inn!!!!

I'm not sure how anyone can have anything negative to say about the Inn!

Room Tip: Our room #206 was right near the kitchen. I would recommend elsewhere if you want to sleep in.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Taiwan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2012

My mother and I spent one night here right after the holidays. The inn was beautifully decorated with flickering window candles and beautiful painted ornaments. A fire burned in the parlor as we relaxed and enjoyed the snow flurries outside. We found the inn delivered the authentic experience we craved and greatly enjoyed the period architecture and antiques. We stayed in the Master Bedroom and, after dinner, we reclined comfortably on our high beds while watching a light, fluffy Doris Day/Rock Hudson movie on television. Both our evening meal and morning meal at the inn restaurant were very satisfactory (and the fruit cobbler outstanding) and the service staff were helpful in answering our questions about the surrounding area. The community of Lewisburg is well worth a visit, as is the General Lewis Inn.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Cleveland, OH
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2011

My wife and I stayed in the General Lewis Inn for one night in October, and had a very pleasant stay. It is very much the antique inn kind of place, in the country antique vein rather than the Louis XVI furniture vein. The room was very usable with a nice (though not big) bathroom. The bed was really high off the ground -- my wife said there was a stepstool under the bed, and I can see how some people would need it! Lovely bed, by the way, antique, but comfortable and not extra noisy or anything. Our window looked out onto the back garden.

The only meal we had there was breakfast, but that was very nice. Not included in the price of the room, but on the other hand you get to order what you want. The dining room is a big high-ceilinged airy room with more antiques. Very good service and food.

The General Lewis has an excellent website for booking the rooms -- they let you look at and book each available room independently, with separate photos for each. That's very useful because the rooms are all different from each other, and if you're on the second floor, you have to go up and down stairs. The stairs aren't terribly steep or narrow, but there's no way to avoid them if you're upstairs.We were in room 204.

Room Tip: Use the website, it's excellent for picking the exact room you want. Room 204 was nice.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Charleston, WV
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2011

There are newer places in Lewisburg and there are places with better food, but there is no place I'd rather stay than the General Lewis. It is a family-owned establishemnt and has that family type of feel. It has two floors of rooms and an attached restaurant. The restaurant is good and you should have reservations if you plan to eat there.

The General Lewis is one of the oldest inns in the area. It wears its age proudly by displaying antiques throughout the establishment mixed in with newer items. Guests will enjoy looking through all the items displayed in the hallways, sitting and playing games by the fire in the living room or wandering the grounds. Each room is different from the others and guests are allowed to visit any room not in use--be sure to wander.

The restaurant has a staff that has been at the Inn for years. They know the menu and give good recommendations. I had the scallops dish and my wife had the strip steak. Both were very good and come recommended. Service is present but does not hover over you and staff is happy to tell you about the place if you ask.

We go to stay at the General Lewis about once a year and always go away feeling relaxed and rested.

Each room var

Room Tip: Pictures of each room are found on line.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Arlington, VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2011

We came across the General Lewis Inn by accident a few years ago. Since then we have gone back several times. It is one of our favorite getaway spots. We always enjoy the ambiance of both the Inn and the town of Lewisburg. The Inn has a lot of historical charm, and pleasant grounds. The staff is friendly and helpful, and the restaurant is a plus.

Room Tip: The pictures on the website give a good indication of the room configuration.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
arlington, texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2011

Before moving in to the Greenbrier which is just a few miles away, we spent 2 nights at General Lewis Inn. This is not a bed & breakfast, although there is a restaurant downstairs which serves a full menu 3 times a day. There is complimentary coffee set up downstairs in the morning until 0900, and on the mornings we were there, a basket held individually wrapped banana bread for the taking.
Our room on the second floor was called the Master, and from looking at most of the other rooms, I think it was the largest, with 2 comfortable double beds and a big sitting area. The bathroom was adequate with a toilet and tub/shower. Since the sink and mirror were in another area, it made getting dressed easier for the 2 of us women. This is an OLD inn with history abounding, so bathrooms are serviceable, but not luxurious. Unoccupied room doors are left open for you to explore, and though small, they all looked lovely (prettier than the website pictures). There is also a family suite that has 2 rooms and several beds.
Everyone we talked to at the front was very helpful & informative when asked, and they directed us 2 blocks down the hill to the main shopping street which has great antique shops, boutiques and restaurants. We never had a bad meal.
On the main floor there is an extensive collection of artifacts from "back in the day" that is worth a look. The back yard is lovely to stroll around. I hesitate to say the Inn isn't accessible, but we never saw or were offered an elevator, so be prepared to schlep your own bags up a lot of steps.

Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Pearisburg, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2011

I took two of my girlfriends to Lewisburg for their birthdays. Our room was very clean and comfortable. The family suite on 2nd floor only has one very, very small bathroom so that made showering and dressing somewhat difficult. The location is perfect for walking all around Lewisburg. The hotel staff was very pleasant. Breakfast was great but service was questionable, had to continue to remind our waiter about requests. I personally think the price is high, but wanted my friends to enjoy the beauty of Lewisburg without the hassle of driving once we checked into our rooms.

I would suggest that The GLI become a true B&B with a complimetary breakfast for each guest. I truly believe you would see your averages improve to excellents!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends

Been to General Lewis Inn? Share your experiences!